Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It just comes down to preference. Myself, I prefer on property and love to feel like I'm completely emersed in the Disney magic. Staying off property to Escape from Disney periodically sounds strange to me since I'm usually going to Disney to escape reality a bit ; )
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse" o
    - Uncle Walt

• Loves a tea party!

As the OP, I'd like to clarify that I was not asking for pros and cons (although I'm sure it's helpful to somebody out there!). I've stayed onsite at the CB Resort once and I've stayed off site a few times. This time we'll be staying at the Embassy Suites at Lake Buena Vista- barely takes us 15 minutes to get to the gate at most parks (and we avoid I drive). I LOVE this hotel- most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in and a great breakfast every morning! Room to spread out and they even have free drinks and snacks in the evenings (but doubt we'll be at the hotel at that hour).

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks
    Spend the money you save on tshirts and other goodies.
    I think this sums up my feeling exactly. I'd rather spend the money on good food and a few trinkets to bring back home with me. It's all about priorities and I just wondered if I was the only one who had the priority to save the money on the hotel. Which, by the way, will be a significant savings since this will be an Hhonors stay (free) for us.

• Rock Star Minion

Free offsite, or pay onsite? I'd take the free offsite, too.
    How about full-pay offsite versus CM discount onsite?
    How about full-pay offsite versus AP discount onsite?

Definitely, for the Alaska dude, two weeks or a month I'd definitely go with a rental house. For that long, I imagine going to lots of places in Florida. Space Center, Tampa, FSU football game, golfing, etc. And making my own meals and using a refrigerator. And renting a car and packing lunches in a cooler and eating in the parking lot.

A week or less? I'm onsite and pretty much staying there. No rental car, just busing it everywhere.

[This post was paid for by the Secret Disney Propaganda Department. Oops, did I just write that?]
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Just this guy......

I have stayed both on and off site and as many have already said there are many pros and cons about doing both.

The main thing I think that it always comes down to is budget. Lets face facts; it is cheaper to say off site. However, if you do have the money staying on site can add a lot of extra magic and a few extra perks if you take advantage of them.

• Old Timer

Thats exactly what I did, went to the Cape, packed my own lunch!
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

I think folks who don't stay on property (at a moderate or deluxe resort) really miss a HUGE part of the WDW experience. Now, if you're one of those folks who believe a WDW vacation is getting up at 5:30 a.m., park-hopping all day, riding Space Mountain 10 times in a row, eating burgers and pizza for every meal, never seeing the pool etc ... well, then I'd say stay off-property at any basic/clean place.

Otherwise, I can't see not staying on property and I have stayed at EVERY WDW resort (many numerous times) EXCEPT for the DVC properties (Boardwalk Villas excluded) and the All Star Movies.

• Loves a tea party!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I think folks who don't stay on property (at a moderate or deluxe resort) really miss a HUGE part of the WDW experience. Now, if you're one of those folks who believe a WDW vacation is getting up at 5:30 a.m., park-hopping all day, riding Space Mountain 10 times in a row, eating burgers and pizza for every meal, never seeing the pool etc ... well, then I'd say stay off-property at any basic/clean place.
    Hmmm, interesting perspective. However, I think you make assumptions about people who stay off site. We all have our own priorities and mine differ from yours.
    I can assure you, as one who will be staying off-site by choice (and actually could easily afford the price of moderate resort), I will be eating much nicer meals than burgers and pizza and have no intentions of getting up at 5:30 a.m. As I said above, a nice pool means little to me (I've seen plenty of them) and I think I can get to the parks as quickly as or more quickly than the on-site guests who take Disney transportation.
    Just for the record, I once did stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort and was disappointed in the room quality. Oh well, to each his own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12