Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Loves a tea party!

Question Off-site... Am I the only one?

As I count down the days to my upcoming visit to WDW, I am wondering if I am the only one who actually prefers to stay offsite?
    Is that sacrilege to say on this board?

For about the same price as a moderate resort, I get a two-room suite with king bed, two televisions in case after a long day at the parks, my DH and I don't care to watch the same program, full cooked-to-order breakfast and since we will be driving anyway, it takes us about the same amount of time or less to get to the parks and back as if we waited for a bus or boat to get us there.

To me, it doesn't matter that the pool isn't themed to Disney- I am there for the parks, not for the pool. And I have stayed in plenty of very upscale hotels in Las Vegas, etc. so that is not a need I must fulfill.

Just wondering if I'm the only one who actually likes it this way!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    I don't even stay overnight. I live close enough I can do a day trip and drive home that night.

I'd like to do a long weekend up there, but I simply can't afford any hotels on WDW property.... even the All-Star ones. I've gotten better deals on just as nice a room at the Days Inn at the Crossroads.

I would never stay off property again, IMO it adds to the whole experience!! Also If you do stay on property why would you ever need a car the WDW transportation is wonderful! My best disney experience happened on a bus to Carribbean Beach from Epcot. I really don't get it. I love every aspect from the Mickey waffle in the morning to the ride back to the hotel, while the whole bus sings, but thats a different thread.
    wdw-87 fort wilderness with fam.
    00 off property with future wife
    00 carribean beach with fam. for x-mas
    01 all star ask her to marry me also x-mas
    02 off property with inlaws
    03 polynesian with wife and fam. 3 days from wed.
    06 port orleans french quarters with wife for one day

• Original Mice-Chatter

No- you are not the only one. I would like to try it ON-property once- but to be honest- as much as I LOVE WDW, there is something nice about leaving the property and escaping for a while.

• insufferable know-it-all

The Peabody is nice.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Hello there

Blog Entries
    I have stayed off-site more than on. Especially when I can find great rates like $33 a night in off season at the marriot.. great hotel- can't beat the price. i have stayed in days inn. radisson/ dozen others. maybe since I go there yerly I don't feel compelled to spend a lot on the hotel.. as long it is a moderate class hotel.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by AllisonWonderland
    As I count down the days to my upcoming visit to WDW, I am wondering if I am the only one who actually prefers to stay offsite?
    Is that sacrilege to say on this board?

For about the same price as a moderate resort, I get a two-room suite with king bed, two televisions in case after a long day at the parks, my DH and I don't care to watch the same program, full cooked-to-order breakfast and since we will be driving anyway, it takes us about the same amount of time or less to get to the parks and back as if we waited for a bus or boat to get us there.

To me, it doesn't matter that the pool isn't themed to Disney- I am there for the parks, not for the pool. And I have stayed in plenty of very upscale hotels in Las Vegas, etc. so that is not a need I must fulfill.

Just wondering if I'm the only one who actually likes it this way!
    I am this way too. Especially at Disneyland where it costs so much! But yes, we do this quite frequently at WDW also. Last time we were there they forgot to clean our room one day and we were gone from sun up to sun down. Sad.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    I am this way too. Especially at Disneyland where it costs so much! But yes, we do this quite frequently at WDW also. Last time we were there they forgot to clean our room one day and we were gone from sun up to sun down. Sad.
    thats cause DL owns 3 hotels Versus WDW's 22??

I prefer on site for the magic hour and stuff... but if i don't need to I would stay off site.. or just drive up and drive home....

• Merry 2014!

a friend of mine stayed off property during spring break trip. seven stayed at a three bdroom condo with provate pool and spa. i think they had three baths too. a tv in every room plus ps2. they were 15 minute drive away. of course the actual drive was longer. a friend of hers, who goes to wdw as much as possible, arranged the lodgings. they all loved it.

i have never been though, so this thread is great info!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Minion

I've been there 3 times and stayed off-site twice. As much as it would seem more convenient to remain on-site there are other attractions in Orlando. Yes I love Disney but I want to see other things as well. I dont' remember where we stayed but it was way cheaper and had more amenities than the Caribbean Beach Resort. We always rent a car when we go their anyway so the Disney Transportation system, albeit great can't bring us to Daytona Beach or Cape Canaveral or Tampa. Whenever we go to Orlando we have to see KSC as we both are space fanatics and hopefully the next time we make it out there, we'll be able to see a launch (when they get the program up and running again). My friend has a Marriott time share and she recently went to Orlando. She said that it was perfect and everything she wanted was available. They did stay at the Polynesian one night and she liked it but she enjoyed the Marriott instead.

Its a toss up on whether to stay on-site or off-site. I say do it at least once (on or off site) as there's more to Orlando.

• Old Timer

There has been some strong efforts on the Disney discussion websites to encourage staying onsite vs. offsite. Its only my speculation that it coincided about when we heard that the Disney corporation had publicly announced that they started an "internet group" to participate with the strong and growing internet Disney fansites.

My .02 is the vacation home industry in Orlando is a much better deal for your money than what Disney has to offer, sure there may be more "magic" but does it balance the scales of the extra perks at the parks vs. what a privately owned home with a widescreen TV, high speed internet access, heated private pool, kitchen and of course a quieter place to stay at a much less amount against a Disney resort?

Twice in recent years I brought my family from Alaska to Orlando, both times we rented a vacation home, once for two weeks and once for a whole month, could a person afford a whole month at a mid range Disney resort? Sure you can..... How bad do you worship Disney?

I see very little in value staying onsite for a period of longer than a week, it costs too much too eat out vs. heading out to the supermarket and buying our own and cooking ourselves in a fully furnished home. And many of these homes are new and very close to WDW or the other parks.

It does require an effort to find a good reliable rental home as it has been difficult to get good advice on a Disney discussion board! Try asking anyway, who are you going to offend?
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Well, I for one tend to always stay onsite. Twice I've stayed the first night offsite (due to late arrival flights), and while the rooms offsite have been OK (one a Quality Inn the other a Radisson or Marriott), it's just not the same to me to have to head into the concrete jungle of I-drive or Irlo Bronson Hwy to get to my hotel. I like the Disney touches in my room, and I LOVE knowing that I can spend extra time in the parks while all the day guests have gone home or aren't yet allowed in. Yeah, you pay a good deal extra for it, but to me it's worth it.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• The Mickey Follower

we're going in August and are staying at the Marriott (our first off site hotel stay) because I cashed in FF miles and got our hotel and car rental.. I love being on the property and getting the Mickey wake up call. When you stay on property, your there, it's all about being at WDW. Crossing our fingers that we won't regret staying off site this trip

• Race Car Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    No- you are not the only one. I would like to try it ON-property once- but to be honest- as much as I LOVE WDW, there is something nice about leaving the property and escaping for a while.

I agree.............. Its nice to get in your Rental Car and leave the park behind.

There are a ton of other things to see too. Spend the money you save on tshirts and other goodies.
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• The one on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    The first few times I went to WDW I stayed off property but after staying on property the first time I found that I preferred it. Yes it costs more but for me not having to get into a car at the end of the day and drive back to my hotel is worth it. Now it could be because I only go there every 3 or 4 years but I consider WDW my escape and don't need to escape it. Everyone has their own balance of cost to value and I prefer to cheap out during the rest of the year but be able to splurge when I go on vacation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast