Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

Re: To rent a car, or not rent a car - that is the question

Well I certainly do not have a ton of experience with Disney World trips, which it seems a lot of people posting do, but I've taken a couple of trips and I've had two different experiences.

When I was a kid we stayed off property and had the shuttle system, which I'm sure I don't need to tell you folks was not the best plan. Needless to say, when I went last year that was out of the question. My girlfriend and I stayed on property and just used the bus system, and I was very glad for it. It's convenient, and since you don't have to go see the launch anymore it's probably not a bad idea just to use the buses. Of course, if you want to go to other parks and to the grocery store then you know which option to choose. I don't think the wait for the buses was too bad, and it was nice not to worry about parking and sit in an air-conditioned bus after a long day at one of the parks (especially with that ridiculous humidity. Not too much of that in California).

Walking in Walt's footsteps

Now that you're not driving to the shuttle launch, you must ask yourself if you will have any other need or desire to leave Disney property. If you're not planning to leave the property, you don't NEED a car. Some people might be much happier with one, but you don't NEED one. It all comes down to preference.

I'm not going to try to convince you to see things as I do, I just want to expose you to it.

When I go on a Disney vacation, it's unlike any other vacation I take. I enjoy being totally immersed in the Disney fantasy. I like putting my wallet and my car key in the room safe and not even knowing they exist for a week -- God bless the room charge! I enjoy relaxing and leaving the driving to someone else. I have no desire to leave Disney property. I don't need to see or do anything in the Central Florida area. No offense to the locals, I just don't think I'm very much different from them, except that I own more swaeters and they have a better knowledge of really big bugs.

I love hopping on a bus when I'm tired, rather than concentrating on driving. I drive every day of my life, I enjoy having a week when I can leave it to someone else. I like getting in an air conditioned bus rather than a hot car. Some of my great memories from my WDW vacations are conversations with other people on the buses.

Just another perspective ....

• Race Car Driver

By the way the shuttle launch is still on. At their site is shows launch in 7 days plus another on the 15 of March as well.
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

GET the CAR !!!!! ..... here's a picture for you to think of ... it's late in the evening, you've spent the whole day in the park ..... now you head for the bus back to your hotel ( don't forget so is almost EVERYONE around you) .... you get on the bus, but it's packed and there's no where to sit .... so now you have two exhausted children who want YOU to hold them ................ that's exactly what happened to my wife and I when we first went with out 4 year old daughter .....

• Minion

We rented a car both times. Sometimes using the shuttle and sometimes using the car. The car was great b/c we would eat lunch on property, and then go off for dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks View Post
    By the way the shuttle launch is still on. At their site is shows launch in 7 days plus another on the 15 of March as well.
    Well, the launch hasn't been "canceled", but it certainly isn't going up next week as planned. Sounds like it will be at least a month before launch...

"Last week's hail storm caused thousands of dings in the insulating foam covering Atlantis' external fuel tank and forced NASA to postpone the space shuttle's launch from March 15 to at least late April."

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Is it too late to put in my 2 cents? We always get a car when we go to WDW. One time we relied on the buses and hated it. When we were there in October and staying at POFQ (Our favorite by the way) we decided to take the boat to DD. The boat was so loud that we opted to return on the bus. It took forever to get back because of the many stops. It was another lesson to learn on why we rent cars.

The rate is great and having a car is so convient, even when going to MK. (Hint: you can take the resort monorail back to TTC since it does make a stop there.)

Have a great time!

• Home Business Owner

if you get a car, try
    http://www.rentalcarmomma.com
    DIRT CHEAP rental cars! It's the route we're gonna go, cause we'll be near the Magic Kingdom BUT we'll have a stroller, bags, it would be easier getting to the restaurant at the end of the day with a car....

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeegit View Post
    Family of four (two young daughters) with an up-coming trip to WDW next month. We're staying at PO:FQ, and booked our package with AAA. We were originally planning on not having a rental car while there, and just utilizing the Magic Express and the park busses.

But now we're going to see the shuttle launch, and that's going to take a car. If we just do the car for the 24 hours to get out to the coast for the launch, that's going to cost us about $60+gas. It turns out we can get a car for the whole 8 days for $160+gas. Seems like it might be worth the extra $100 to have the car while we're there - hoping some of you might have some input.

We'll have the AAA Diamond Parking pass, which I guess lets us park for free, up "close" at some of the parks. And with our two daughters (6 and 3), it seems like having our own vehicle to come and go as we need/want, and to assist in bringing stuff like a stroller and our bags (vs brining all of that on the bus everyday) might be a nice convenience. Kind of feels like it might take some of the "immersion" out of the staying on property experience, but we're going to be there over Spring Break, and we might be feed up with the crowded buses after a day or two.

Anyone tried both options, while staying on property, and have comments/suggestions?
    Unique Photo Gifts- Great holiday ideas-
    Free Shipping
    offers (Photo to throw blanket, Photo to pillow, Photo to tote bag,
    Photo to DVD...)

Outstanding Customer Testimonials!

• Race Car Driver

Well, the launch hasn't been "canceled", but it certainly isn't going up next week as planned. Sounds like it will be at least a month before launch...

"Last week's hail storm caused thousands of dings in the insulating foam covering Atlantis' external fuel tank and forced NASA to postpone the space shuttle's launch from March 15 to at least late April."

Oh thanks..... I wanted to go see that too... now i am a little sad.
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

Well, having the rental car was well worth the $160. Just got back yesterday - had a great trip, and we were VERY thankful we had a car. It just made it so easy to lug all of our stuff (stroller, bags, extra clothes, souvenirs) back and forth.

We did use the bus from POFQ to MK one day, since we knew that would save us from having to come through the TTC and either a monorail or ferry boat ride. But it just wasn't worth it, when the park closed and there were so many people heading for the buses. Having to carry all of our stuff and our two exhausted daughters made the buses just as tricky as everyone predicted.

Also, having the AAA Diamond Parking pass allowed us to park right up front (really nice at Epcot, MGM, and AK) - made having the rental car even that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    I'd go for the car. We're considering the same thing for our trip in the summer. We don't want to have to wait on the buses and want the convience of if we need to leave park grounds we can.

Plus, if cost is an issue, I found out that since I'm a SAM'S club member we get a major discount on car rentals from lots of places. This appears to be true for COSTCO and other wholesale places as well. Some of the sites were giving me better rates then my AAA card was! I don't know if you're a member of one of these clubs or not, but if so it's worth looking into and might lower the cost further!
    Costco + Alamo at MCO = Chevy Trailblazer for the Price of a Compact at Hertz. (About $28/day). Costco has $20 on top of the 20%+ Discount, just search the costco site with "Rental Car", and pick the deal that fits... change the deals and cars around, sometimes it'll work better with a certain car and one coupon over the other. You'll need to show your Costco card and the coupon (printed) when you pick it up.

Only drawback, is you can't use Quicksilver Pickup with a Coupon....

• Pilot EdForceOne

Also, having the AAA Diamond Parking pass allowed us to park right up front (really nice at Epcot, MGM, and AK) - made having the rental car even that much better.
    Did you make your reservations through WDW or AAA? I booked AAA rates, but through disney, and didn't chase this angle. Wondering if you have to book through AAA (disney was just more convenient) to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Did you make your reservations through WDW or AAA? I booked AAA rates, but through disney, and didn't chase this angle. Wondering if you have to book through AAA (disney was just more convenient) to get it.
    We booked directly through a AAA agent - got the Diamond Parking, the Storytime with a character, a free 5x7 Photopass print, $15 at Planet Hollywood, free Mini Golf, and some other nice perks.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

i always recommend getting a car, this way you dont have to rely on other forms of transportaton which will take much longer. Most of the areas you will need to go are rather easy to find - you probably will mainly stay on SR 535, I-4, Universal Blvd, and I-Drive....not too difficult to navigate. As for your trip to see the Shuttle, Brevard county is about a 45 min drive along SR 528 and upon entry to Brevard, it will be about 30 min to get to Kennedy Space Center. The shuttle launches are spectacular, so please dont miss it lol !!

The convenience of having a car completely justifies the cost!! Youll have so much more freedom, especially if youre going off-property. Have fun and enjoy Orlando/Titusville, FL !!!

P.S. - please just do me one favor, dont drive like a maniac on I-4 like all the other "touists" ....im not too worried about you, cuz youre part of the micechat community, but im just putting it out there ;-)

• Attn. Space Travelers....

oh, and did i mention, HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast