Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Different Space Mountains

I was wondering what the difference is between the Space Mountains in the Disneyparks. What`s the difference between the Orlando version and the Anaheim one? Or between the Paris version and the other ones?
    I think the American versions look a lot alike. But maybe thatīs just the exterior. I heard that the Paris version has one of the most complicated rollercoaster tracks in the world, so it must be different from the rest right?

Please post your replies here... then it will contain replies from all the parks

• Uber Disney freak! šOš

Paris has at least one inversion. California has a new track and will re-open after being closed for about 2 years on July 15th. No word yet on how new track will be different in California, but no inversions put in. Also, California will have two different rides - one during the day, and a different ride at night. Not sure how they're going to accomplish the diff ride at night other than a change in the music.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    California has a new track and will re-open after being closed for about 2 years on July 15th. No word yet on how new track will be different in California, but no inversions put in.
    DL will have same layout as it had before.

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    Also, California will have two different rides - one during the day, and a different ride at night. Not sure how they're going to accomplish the diff ride at night other than a change in the music.
    Not for several months.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Space Mountain in Florida actually is two coasters, Alpha and Omega, in one bldg. One has more drops the other more turns. Can't remember which is which, so I'll have to ride them both again later today and see. BTW, the one in Florida is also the oldest of them all.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    Space Mountain in Florida actually is two coasters, Alpha and Omega, in one bldg. One has more drops the other more turns. Can't remember which is which, so I'll have to ride them both again later today and see. BTW, the one in Florida is also the oldest of them all.
    correct i think...

DL was the second oldest but could still be considered it.. same track as it had but new audio....

Tokyo had Disneyland.. but no audio..

Hong kong has Exact Disneyland's..

and Paris is unique with at least one inversion and the first to have on board audio.... and the launch as well....

This is a great site to compare Space Mountains. Some info hasn't been updated in a few years, but most (especially history) is good...

http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/space/

Disneyland has the newer, different, and (IMO) better track. Even though the building is smaller (I think 200 ft vs 300 ft diameter at WDW), the ride is longer because there is only one track at DL and two at WDW. The two WDW tracks are nearly identical mirror images, except where the tracks have to cross each other.

The mirror image track layout is similar to Matterhorn. I think the idea was to bring a Matterhorn-style attracation to WDW, but to put it indoors to protect it from Florida rain, or at least I have heard this as Disney lore... The WDW version feels more jerky than the DL version. That's one of the reasons I don't like it, because my knees are banged up at WDW Space Mountain just as they are on the Matterhorn.

One other interesting difference, Space Mountain at DL is sunk into the ground (as is Soarin' and Tower of Terror) so as not to dwarf other park features such as the castle. Nothing in Florida is sunk underground, as the scale of the park facilities is larger at WDW, and the high Florida water table doesn't make the basement construction feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by RZS
    This is a great site to compare Space Mountains. Some info hasn't been updated in a few years, but most (especially history) is good...

http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/space/

Disneyland has the newer, different, and (IMO) better track. Even though the building is smaller (I think 200 ft vs 300 ft diameter at WDW), the ride is longer because there is only one track at DL and two at WDW. The two WDW tracks are nearly identical mirror images, except where the tracks have to cross each other.

The mirror image track layout is similar to Matterhorn. I think the idea was to bring a Matterhorn-style attracation to WDW, but to put it indoors to protect it from Florida rain, or at least I have heard this as Disney lore... The WDW version feels more jerky than the DL version. That's one of the reasons I don't like it, because my knees are banged up at WDW Space Mountain just as they are on the Matterhorn.

One other interesting difference, Space Mountain at DL is sunk into the ground (as is Soarin' and Tower of Terror) so as not to dwarf other park features such as the castle. Nothing in Florida is sunk underground, as the scale of the park facilities is larger at WDW, and the high Florida water table doesn't make the basement construction feasible.
    great info thanks
    wdw-87 fort wilderness with fam.
    00 off property with future wife
    00 carribean beach with fam. for x-mas
    01 all star ask her to marry me also x-mas
    02 off property with inlaws
    03 polynesian with wife and fam. 3 days from wed.
    06 port orleans french quarters with wife for one day

The WDW version is badly outdated and needs to be gutted. You could easilly place two completely different tracks (one more thrilling) in the massive building and add some 21st Century theming/effects ... and oh yeah, MAKE IT DARK AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The WDW version is badly outdated and needs to be gutted. You could easilly place two completely different tracks (one more thrilling) in the massive building and add some 21st Century theming/effects ... and oh yeah, MAKE IT DARK AGAIN!
    again? it was always plagued by light leaks if I'm not mistaken

anywho I find it funny that I was the only person who read the whole dealy about clicking that guys link to post in a central location

oh well :B

• Former Epcot CM

[QUOTE=figment1986]
    Tokyo had Disneyland.. but no audio..

Hong kong has Exact Disneyland's..
    QUOTE]

Correct info, but to differentiate, Hong Kong has the new refurbished Disneyland version (without the Rockit Mountain at night although it is feasible to install it), Tokyo has Disneyland's old version.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

This is a great site dedicated to the DLP SM:

http://sm.dlpfan.org/start.htm

although remember Paris is now on Space Mountain: MIssion Two!

• A Real Disney Attraction

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The WDW version is badly outdated and needs to be gutted. You could easily place two completely different tracks (one more thrilling) in the massive building and add some 21st Century theming/effects ... and oh yeah, MAKE IT DARK AGAIN!
    I actually think it still gives a great ride. I would be all for new rolling stock or updated special effects, but I wouldn't be for gutting it. I think it still has an extremely cool queue and station area for a roller-coaster.

I can only speak for myself, but I have read threads where non-Disney coaster enthusiasts speak highly of the "thrill" quotient present with WDW's Space Mountain. Not everything needs to be calmed down for the Pooh Jet-Set.

Clean it up, Refurb it, Enhance it, but I think it would be unfortunate to see it gutted. I am grateful that they decided to refurb the Matterhorn over the last decade instead of simply gutting it.

Lastly, with the 20K area, and wide open areas in the secondary gates, I would much rather see new rides be built with Disney's supposedly limited resources.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ChiMike
    I actually think it still gives a great ride. I would be all for new rolling stock or updated special effects, but I wouldn't be for gutting it. I think it still has an extremely cool queue and station area for a roller-coaster.

I can only speak for myself, but I have read threads where non-Disney coaster enthusiasts speak highly of the "thrill" quotient present with WDW's Space Mountain. Not everything needs to be calmed down for the Pooh Jet-Set.

Clean it up, Refurb it, Enhance it, but I think it would be unfortunate to see it gutted. I am grateful that they decided to refurb the Matterhorn over the last decade instead of simply gutting it.

Lastly, with the 20K area, and wide open areas in the secondary gates, I would much rather see new rides be built with Disney's supposedly limited resources.
    I think it gives a lousy, rough, need-to-make-a-chiropractic appointment, kind of ride. To make matters worse the effects are incredibly cheesy. I know Disney geeks like cookie projections on the ceiling, but it's not 1975 anymore.

Yeah, I like the queue too. And the load area is OK, but is all wasted space (pardon the pun) with FastPass. And let's not even discuss the fact the building is so light you could read a book, while riding. It's no fun to see exactly where you're going on a ride that's supposed thrill-factor is being in the dark.

So much could be done. I'd like to see two different versions in there or one really long ride with more effects.

But again, since most WDW guests seem to enjoy the old ride, I just don't see it getting changed. ... until it falls apart (see: Anaheim).

• A Real Disney Attraction

And that's just a difference of preference I guess. B&M is my favorite coaster designer, but I have to admit a lot of their more recent rides put me to sleep. There coasters are now "overly designed" for my tastes. Their engineering is too good! A smooth coaster like Intamin's Screamin' just doesn't do it for me. I want to feel like I'm on a ""ride"". Give me an Arrow Mega Looper any old day.

You find such a division in coaster circles. Some praise Screamin' others yawn. I want to feel the jostling (to an extent). I think Space Mountain has just the right "out-of-control" feeling, mix that with the semi-darkness (see I concede) and I think it is a good ride. I mean I can have a blindfold on and I still know where I'm going on Space Mountain.

Now for families, I can understand where they don't want to deal with a rough ride. Where they want everything to run like RnRC. But, as you said, it doesn't look like Space Mountain is sitting around with no riders. I don't think we're there yet. It certainly isn't as rough as some of the Midwestern woodies that endure horrendous humidity like Boss or Timber Wolf.
    -Mike

Since I only know the Paris versions I wonder how do you get your speed. Is there a spectacular launch just like on the Paris Space Mountain or is there a lift?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast