Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Thumbs down MORE of original Epcot closing (Alfredo's)

As if you thought there was nothing left from '82 to close they found something

WDW has announced that Alfredo's Restaurant, a fixture at the Italy Pavilion in Epcot for over 20 years, is closing permanently at the end of July, 2007.

There WILL be a replacement Italian restaurant opened in the same location, but at this writing WDW is releasing no further details.
    http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...ad.php?t=97666
    Last edited by Dustysage; 02-26-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: title fixed

Blog Entries

Re: MORE of orginal Epcot closing

From everything I've heard that place has really gone downhill lately anyhow. So this isn't a horrible thing as long as what it is replaced with is quality. I don't know if this was necessarily Disney's idea to close. You have to remember that many of these WS restaurants are actually owned by outside agencies so it may have been the restaurants idea to leave.

• Omnimover Groover

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    As if you thought there was nothing left from '82 to close they found something

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...ad.php?t=97666
    Wow, that got me thinking...........is there anything left remaining at Epcot today that is still in its absolutely unblemished 1982 EPCOT Center debut form?

I could only come up with Impressions de France, O' Canada and the monorail columns & beams. Maybe the monorail station and Friendship shuttle boats are the same but I can't remember if any of the colors have been changed since '82...........
    People aren't successful because they have never failed.....they are successful because failing hasn't stopped them.

• World Traveler

I hope they replace the restaurant with something a little more upscale.

• Santa Barbara, CA

In ten years EPCOT will stand for..

Extremely Pixarified Conglomeration Of Thrillrides.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: MORE of original Epcot closing (Alfredo's)

They are probably just breaking their ties with the original Alfredo's in Italy. I would imagine that the replacement will be just as nice or better. It is my favorite restaurant in the park, but I'll wait to hear who the new host is. There are a lot of great restaurants in the real Italy for them to model themselves on
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

The Olive Garden, for instance!
    Bored? Check out my animation news & reviews website: http://skunkandburningtires.com

• Banned User

when does the new place open.. cause im in the mood for italian

(I want to know, then get PS for it when it opens... then micechat can have a grand detailed meal... lol)

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrorail View Post
    Wow, that got me thinking...........is there anything left remaining at Epcot today that is still in its absolutely unblemished 1982 EPCOT Center debut form?

I could only come up with Impressions de France, O' Canada and the monorail columns & beams. Maybe the monorail station and Friendship shuttle boats are the same but I can't remember if any of the colors have been changed since '82...........
    The current Canada film is not long for this world. Certainly by the end of 2007.

A lot of buildings in World showcase are "originals", and many of their shops. Disneyland changed much, much more from 1955-1980 than Epcot did in its first 25 years.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Volleyball Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    They are probably just breaking their ties with the original Alfredo's in Italy. I would imagine that the replacement will be just as nice or better. It is my favorite restaurant in the park, but I'll wait to hear who the new host is. There are a lot of great restaurants in the real Italy for them to model themselves on

Or maybe if they cannot get someone from Italy - ( which would be my fist choice ) - to open a restaurant there - try and attract someone like Mario Battali - an Italian restauranteur in the states -

Having been to Alfredo's 3 of the last 4 trips there, it ranged from very good to average ( same for service) - I just pray they do not go generic Italian - or whatever that stuff is at Olive Garden -- coming from a city with many great Italian restaurants, I would hate to see it go bland.
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

Ewww... generic Italian would be a great disservice. While I'd love to see Mario Batali involved, I don't think it'll happen - he has something like 5 or 6 other places of his own to worry about. Oh, but we can dream, right?

Our trips to Alfredo's have been on the better-than-average side. My favorite memory will always be the chocolate Spaceship Earth tiramisu from, I think, 2002. Yummmm!!!!!

Sadly, I cannot think of anything else that's been untouched since 1982. In fact, I cannot think of anything that's been untouched since 1992.... Pretty much all of Future World has changed in the last 15 years, and except for Canada each attraction in WS has also.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    when does the new place open.. cause im in the mood for italian

(I want to know, then get PS for it when it opens... then micechat can have a grand detailed meal... lol)
    I think that's a great idea.

I am saddened because that place had (IMHO) the best fettucine alfredo I've ever had. Sinfully delicious, I will reserve judgment until I eat at the new location.

• Beware of Mutant Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    The current Canada film is not long for this world. Certainly by the end of 2007.
    An CM there yesterday said that the new film is coming in May.

Best hold on to Your Hats and Glasses, 'cause this heres the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

• May the F=ma be with you

What needs to be added is a restaurant with an authentic Italian menu. I have not eateb there, but from looking at the menu and hearing certain things, it is an Americanized version of an Italian menu.
    Real Italian food is not what most Americans think it is. Spaghetti and Meatballs, Fettucini Alfredo... It really depends on the rgion that you are eating in. Most of the items on the menu are from northern Italy. What it needs is a regionally diversified menu incorporating recipes from southern Italy where "real", rustic Italian food is found.
    Sorry if I am getting a little too technical here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

I've eaten at Alfredo's and found the food to be somewhat generic actually, with just alright service from the staff.. overall, the meal could've been a lot better. Hopefully the new restaurant will like others have said, have a more authentic menu.. I feel like getting this is hit or miss though during these "declining" times

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast