Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Yet Another MK Issues Thread ...

Now that I have your attention ... I just want to say for the umpteenth time that after spending some time at DL this past weekend, how much the MK pales in comparison.

Riding PoC, I noticed even more new effects (?) or just pluses that were added last year that I hadn't noticed. Same with Mansion ... which has such crisp and clear effects that you'd swear it just opened -- not in 1969!!!

Dark rides like Alice and Roger Rabbit (and even DCA's Monsters Inc) just blow away anything the MK has to compare with.

Maintainance is constantly done. No one is bitching because Splash Mountain is closed until mid-May.

Entertainment and area atmosphere is so much better from Pirates to old western gunslingers.

And got to see Parade of Dreams for first time at night and was blown away by the lighting and quality of the floats ... just real top quality workmanship. And the performers didn't look like they were hired out of a trailer park ... they actually performed. Heck, I even enjoyed High School Musical.

Have more thoughts but those were on the top of my head ... and a large reason why most of my WDW park time is spent at DAK and Epcot now.

The MK is just so, so very stale and poorly run.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Yet Another MK Bashing Thread ...

Hey WDW, instead of turning this into another, "Why you think DL is so much better than MK thread" Couldn't you just post in the DL forums about your trip and the wonderful things you found there?

It just seems your opening yourself up to an argument, unless of course that's what your hoping for?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Now that I have your attention ... I just want to say for the umpteenth time that after spending some time at DL this past weekend, how much the MK pales in comparison.
    I can't believe I am going to disagree with you, being the Disneyland lover than I am.

Riding PoC, I noticed even more new effects (?) or just pluses that were added last year that I hadn't noticed. Same with Mansion ... which has such crisp and clear effects that you'd swear it just opened -- not in 1969!!!
    I found POTC shorter and less impressive for that reason. They only have the one drop and less scenes to go through, but I noticed the same effects that were added at DL also at MK. Then again I have only ridden the new POTC once at both parks so I don't exactly have them memorized. But the people I rode POTC with at MK had never been to DL and they just thought it was the best ride ever.

And I have heard Mansion will be going down for a major refurb, but I have no idea if it's true.

Dark rides like Alice and Roger Rabbit (and even DCA's Monsters Inc) just blow away anything the MK has to compare with.
    I pretty much only got to ride Snow White while we were there, but it was better than DL's. I don't know about the rest though.

Maintainance is constantly done. No one is bitching because Splash Mountain is closed until mid-May.
    I have heard the maintenance complaints about MK before, but I am not experienced enough with the park to know well enough. But Splash was open when we were there 2 weeks ago.

When I worked at DL about 8 years ago, maintenance problems ran rampant in the park. We had so many things on Storybook Land that needed attention and no matter how much we kicked and screamed about it, nothing got done. Cast members would bitch about it all the time on most attractions. But it has since improved immensely from what I can tell.
    Entertainment and area atmosphere is so much better from Pirates to old western gunslingers.
    That surprises me. I was blown away with the atmosphere entertainment at MK. I felt like I saw more characters than ever at DL and it seemed like every time we turned around there was some little show or something hapenening.
    And got to see Parade of Dreams for first time at night and was blown away by the lighting and quality of the floats ... just real top quality workmanship. And the performers didn't look like they were hired out of a trailer park ... they actually performed. Heck, I even enjoyed High School Musical.
    Parade of Dreams is incredible, and I missed the parade at MK.

Have more thoughts but those were on the top of my head ... and a large reason why most of my WDW park time is spent at DAK and Epcot now.

The MK is just so, so very stale and poorly run.
    I love love love love Disneyland. But I really loved MK also. I thought it was impeccably beautiful and the cast members were all exactly what a Disney CM should be. I just felt that the parks were the perfect mix of different and similar. From all the complaining about MK that I have heard around here, I wasn't expecting much from MK. But I was really impressed with it.

I think there must be some issues that need to be addressed, like maintenance. But I have faith that it will improve. It wasn't long ago that Disneyland was sorely lacking in atmospheric entertainment and paint was peeling left and right and rides were constantly down. But they seem to have gotten their heads out of their butts and fixed it. Hopefully the same will come to MK because I think it's a fabulous park.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• 333: I'm only half evil!!

Blog Entries

Splash Mountain was open on President's Day weekend at MK and ppl were riding it even though it was quite cold outside.
    AP Holder.
    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

• Circle of Ancients

Maybe it's because we have been to DL so much, or maybe it's because we have only been to WDW once ... but ... while I do think DL is slightly better, I LOVED MK.

This weekend, going through Tomorrowland, Adventureland and Fantasyland we were CONSTANTLY bombared with HUGE crowds going through little spaces.

Something you don't find at MK.

At Disneyland, you can be walking down main street, looking for the castle and be blocked by a lamp-post and not be able to see it.

Something that will NEVER happen at MK.

I found the CM's at WDW to be much more friendly than those at DL (for the most part)

I found the garden area's around the castle (yes, MK has room for actual gardens) to be quite beautiful.

Their Fantasyland style dark-rides are WAY better than DL's. Snow White actually has a story, PP is much grander ... and don't get me started on Pooh. If they still had Mr. Toad ... with it's 2 seperate tracks, well, it'd be great.

Frontierland is actually a LAND and not just 1 ride and some space along the river.

Splash Mtn and Big Thunder are WAY better than their DL counterparts.

IF HM was maintained like DL's it would be better. And if the rumors are true, and it does get a big overhaul, it WILL be better.

MK still has Carousel of Progress, Swiss Family Treehouse and TTA (Peoplemover).

Of course, Pirates and Tiki Room are better at DL ... no arguing that.

But Space Mtn, IMO, is a closer argument than most will give it credit for. IF MK's SM got the DL treatment it would blow it away. The layout of both tracks is better than anything DL has to offer. And I love the seating.

Restaurants. MK has 3 character meal restaurants. Peco's bills is better than ANY counter-service that DL has. DL has Cafe Orleans, BB and Carnation Cafe as their only sit-down restaurants. BB has a crappy menu. Good luck getting a seat at CC ANY time of the day. So that leaves CO. Which I will admit is my favorite restaurant in DL.

So before you go around saying that DL is SOOOO much better than MK ... look at it closer, and it probably isn't as extreme as your talking about.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Hey WDW, instead of turning this into another, "Why you think DL is so much better than MK thread" Couldn't you just post in the DL forums about your trip and the wonderful things you found there?

It just seems your opening yourself up to an argument, unless of course that's what your hoping for?
    I have been to both Disneyland, and Walt Disney World. Magic Kingdom is my favorite park at Disney World. I love to people watch, while sitting on the front porch on Main Street. I love to watch the Fireworks from the top of the Train Station on Main Street. I love Splash Mountain. There are many wonderful things at the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. When I visit what I refer to as the "right coast", and the "left coast", I appreciate what is before me, and really make every effort not to compare. It makes for a much more enjoyable visit.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I think people are missing the point...what WDW posted about was what he saw in DL, not WDW...so yes WDW's Splash is open.

• In Technicolor!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    This is not an argument.
    These are the games that never end.

• I miss those 4 trees!

Re: Yet Another MK Issues Thread ...

Okay, I must agree with WDW1974 here. I just returned from a 5 day trip to Disneyland (DL). I don’t easily admit this, being a former WDW Cast member and a seasonal pass holder, but it’s true. DL is more magical than the Magic Kingdom (MK) at WDW. Here’s why:
    Main Street: At DL, there is a charm that exists that is lacking on the MK’s Main Street. At DL, there are little porches to sit on, and painted hanging signs with tracer lights, an open air restaurant at Center Street (not an enclosed retail area like ours has become). Little details that have long since been swallowed up by merchandising at WDW still exist on DL’s Main Street. The firehouse is still a firehouse (not a shop); the cinema is still a cinema, not a shop. The Opera House at DL still shows a film and an exhibit and has not become a shop like our Hospitality House has become at WDW (once the Walt Disney Story and exhibition hall.)
    Adventureland: There is more to see and do at DL’s than at our MK (which is really amazing considering how much larger the MK’s is!) The Jungle Cruise features a piranha swarm (very cool!) And the Indiana Jones attraction?...fugettaboutit!
    Frontierland: At DL, there are canoes and the Columbia sailing ship. Also, there is a restaurant (the Hungry Bear) that sits right on the Rivers of America.
    New Orleans Square: Okay, This area is so wonderful. We found ourselves back in this place more than anywhere else. When compared to Liberty Square, I’m afraid that, again, we lose out. The live music! The food! The atmosphere! The shops! New Orleans Square is the clear prize here.
    Fantasyland: The Architecture and atmosphere at DL’s is so completely charming that it makes ours at the MK look like a parking lot. Not to mention that, again, DL has far more attractions in this land than we do. And again…they have much less space.
    ToonTown: At MK…we get Mickey’s ToonTown Fair built with a lick and a promise back in 1988. At DL, they get a fully realized ToonTown complete with a Roger Rabbit dark ride that needs a Fastpass.
    Tomorrowland: At night this place at DL comes to life. It feels like a big nightclub. It has an energy that is unique to DL with live outdoor bands. Ours at WDW is so large and unlively. I have never liked the Buzz attraction at our MK, but I rode it twice at DL. The targets light up when you hit them at DL.
    Is it the “grass is greener” effect? Maybe a little bit. But more than that, DL does feel fresher and more magical to me than our beloved kingdom in Florida. I recommend any MK fan to visit DL and experience it first-hand. Then you’ll know …yes, then you will know.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Alice, yes, the others I don't really agree with. The subs are really going to open a divide, though. I hope someone in FL feels bad about that landfill project.

Really? I've felt that outside of the day parades that MK is better than DL. The atmosphere entertainment I saw at DL last year was pretty cheesy, but the Parade of Dreams is a return of sorts to the kind of quality outings I'm used to from Party Gras and Lion King. Not there yet, but closer.

MK's day parades, especially that glorified event they've turned flag retreat into, are pretty embarrassing and a good example of why I avoid day parades.

And the performers didn't look like they were hired out of a trailer park
    Aye carumba. I don't know what you're alluding to there, but I'm not sure I want to know.

To me the differences between DL and MK have more to do with logistics, DL does have it's advantages like not having stroller parking all over the place. But for a while it had a ridiculous amount of FastPass and of course the crowd are the kind of people who live close enough to drop in and do a ride or do a restaurant and leave, which to my mind hurts the park.

Otherwise, MK makes me feel like a kid at DL again, mostly because of the room/size difference. Yes, Main Street is a big shop, but when you're a kid who just wants to see characters and go on rides and do nothing but, Main Street does feel like one big boring shop. And it helps that the buildings are so much bigger, because at DL I feel like they got shrunk in the wash since I grew up. The only land that I feel really has "issues" at MK is Fantasyland, whereas at DL almost all the lands but MS and Adventureland have some issues.

MK's biggest problem is dining (IMO) and fighting the rest of the World for maintenance budget. However, DL's biggest problems are DCA and fighting it's age. Even when things are kept maintained at DL, they still look so old that you wonder if anything's been touched since Walt last left it. I know a lot of Disnerds get their jollies at being able to take their children to visit Walt Disney's Original (ride name) that still looks and sounds the same as it did when they were children with their parents, but to me that's a sign of lazyness. We need more subs, more Brides, and more plussing and refurbs of these things that just have been neglected so long. And MK could use a few more of them (Country Bears?) but not as many.

At the end of the day, I'd say DL's got the bigger challenge.

• I miss those 4 trees!

MK's day parades, especially that glorified event they've turned flag retreat into, are pretty embarrassing and a good example of why I avoid day parades.
    The flag retreat at WDW is really patrioric and a great thing, I think (esp. with the war going on.) It is hardly embarrasing. It is one thing that is superior to DL's version which does not use live musicians (at least when I saw it 2 days ago.)

Even when things are kept maintained at DL, they still look so old that you wonder if anything's been touched since Walt last left it. At the end of the day, I'd say DL's got the bigger challenge.
    I just don't see this. I was just at DL and everything looked great. Yes, there are some original fixtures that are there, but they are in good shape and, in my opinion ADD to "the show" at the original park. It's called CHARM, people.

• The one, the only...

I love both WDW and DL. I really want MK to have much more than it does right now. It has many wonderful things, like the castle, the fireworks, the greater number of restaurants. But I really think that a great park like MK deserves a new E ticket ride. Not a clone. Not a C ticket that the Laugh Floor is going to be. MK deserves a knock your socks off because of the special effects kind of ride.

The maintenance issues at MK is another issue. That could be easily fixed. Within a few months if management put their nose to the grindstone. Shutting down ONE attraction at a time during three quarters of the year should be possible.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Lucifee meany, sneaky

Up near the atmosphere...up where the air is clear!

I'm in Florida right now on a business trip to NASA at the Kennedy Space Center. I'm taking tomorrow through Monday off and spending it at WDW! I can't wait. It will be my first time riding the new Expedition Everest at DAK! Anyone else going to be at the parks this weekend?

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by I like the old hub View Post
    The flag retreat at WDW is really patrioric and a great thing, I think (esp. with the war going on.) It is hardly embarrasing. It is one thing that is superior to DL's version which does not use live musicians (at least when I saw it 2 days ago.)
    Well, right around Flag Retreat time they've got some sort of pathetic parade attempt going on, one that's so bad even the CMs working it seem to have a hard time being enthusiastic. I assumed it was essentially a pre-show of sorts that flowed into flag retreat.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Question.....DL has An Alice ride? And A Roger Rabbit ride? Will Splash Mt be closed during May?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast