Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Summer's Update - MGM - 02/25/2007

After finishing up our family crisis on Saturday and my honey visiting his mother for the weekend in Palm Springs, my daughter and I decided to head to WDW on Sunday. As Phil would be arriving home around 7:50pm at the airport, our choices were limited on park fun. So we ended up going to Disney's MGM Studios where we could get the most of our day and still not feel rushed.

As always, all of the photos I took that day are available HERE.

We arrived around 11a.m. and had to wait for two trams! Was it an indication of what's to come? Let's hope not..

After getting through bag check relatively quickly and walking into MGM Christina always has to stop and get on this horse. It doesn't work, and every time she always asks me why, poor thing, she just wants to ride the horse!

Since C doesn't like ToT or RnRC, we started on the left hand side of the park first.

Roger Rabbit! Wow! I thought he didn't existed anymore?

Echo Lake is under construction, really cool to see it without water. Always wondered if they connected the dinosaur's tail to the body, now I know!

Radio Disney? I didn't know they had a spot here. Does anyone know if this is where they broadcast from or is it just theming?

Got to Star Tours, was worried C wouldn't like it as she has never been on it but she was willing to try it and there was NO WAIT.

It's seems that C has given it the stamp of approval! Now if I could just get her on ToT again my life would be great.

It was then I felt inclined to visit Muppet's, as BigPigletFan loves this attraction, I had to stop by for her.

But first! Tattoo Time!

See that family with the camera? When we got there, we were alone, somehow they felt their children should be first and they had to take a picture for every...single..step of the tattooing process. So C sat there waiting, she was such a trooper!

Baby Ariel never looked so good.

After getting my own temporary tat (no I didn't take a photo), it was Muppet time!

Onward to the Backlot Tour we were stopped by a wall of CM's in front of LMASS, when I overhear one of them tell someone, "High School Musical will be coming through here shortly, you can not cross until they arrive."

After reading so many negative comments and fun poking on this site of that show, I must say I was pleasantly entertained and the songs are quite catchy.

*sings* We're all in this toge... Oh sorry..

Oh look! It's the white line that must not be crossed!

After the floodgates of people opened up we did manage to just make it for the next Back Lot Tour. I really find the beginning of this to be very well, lacking in content. The concept is great but it just seems that it's missing something that could make it so much better. For those that don't know, they pick up to 4 people in the crowd and create an action scene the likes of Pearl Harbor. Fire, shooting cannons and dumping a ton of water on some poor sap is probably the only part that's good. IMHO

The prop building is really interesting and I wish I had more time to spend in there but I did catch this picture. Anyone spot the retro MGM map in the case?

They have changed the signage around the parks to promote Meet the Robinsons, I am looking forward to this film, it looks good.

Catastrophe Canyon! Before..

Ahh! Run for your life! Not really. Luckily we were on the right side of the tram, no worries.

My favorite part is the AFI Showcase of Villains, I really think they could do so much more with this but I'll take what I can get.

As Millionaire is no longer, it's nice to see Disney working on something. I can't wait for this to get built!

We stopped briefly and check out Narnia at C's request. It's a cute walkthrough of a set with a short movie summarizing the film, not bad overall but I can miss it.

We were getting kind of hungry at this point and headed over to the ABC Commissary. We found a nice, quiet corner and it was then I noticed this..

Grey's Anatomy stuff! This is probably the closed I will ever get to McDreamy.

We skipped Voyage of the Little Mermaid, much to C's dislike because the next show was after the time we had to leave. So we headed instead to the Animation Building for a brief behind the scenes of the new movie The Robinsons and we had just enough time to do Animation Academy. Since I had never done this before, it was really neat to learn how to draw Mickey!

I didn't do to bad but I won't be applying for an animator position anytime soon.

The End.

• World Traveler

Re: Summer's Update - MGM - 02/25/2007

Great pictures! I'm glad you had a great time.

So .... what tattoo did you get? And where?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Great pictures! I'm glad you had a great time.

So .... what tattoo did you get? And where?

I got a Disney Villains tattoo, it's still on my arm actually. I have been washing around it.

If I feel inclined I will take a photo of it, it's pretty neat.

• May the F=ma be with you

Very nice report, Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Living the Dream.

Theres An Animation Academy In MGM? Where Is It?

Celebrate Churros
    Only at Disney Parks..

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    So we ended up going to Disney's MGM Studios where we could get the most of our day and still not feel rushed.
    Which is why I love that park!

Roger Rabbit! Wow! I thought he didn't existed anymore?

Echo Lake is under construction, really cool to see it without water. Always wondered if they connected the dinosaur's tail to the body, now I know!
    Great photos of Echo Lake! And yes, it's cool that Roger, the original mascot of the Disney-MGM Studios theme park still lives.
    Radio Disney? I didn't know they had a spot here. Does anyone know if this is where they broadcast from or is it just theming?
    No, they used to. They have/had a similiar booth inside Tomorrowland at Disneyland. (I'm not sure if it's still there.)
    It was then I felt inclined to visit Muppet's, as BigPigletFan loves this attraction, I had to stop by for her.
    I feel so loved! And I'm glad she liked ST. I enjoyed that when I was younger too as my mom loves those kinds of attractions.
    But first! Tattoo Time!
    As you can kind of see in the picture of C's tattoo and arm, there is a black "prop box" with silver handles. There are several temp. tattoo, hair wrap, and face painting locations at The Disney-MGM Studios. All of these are located in the Muppets courtyard and over by Star Tours. These are not Disney Cast Members and instead are operating participants. Their hours vary and they can often be seen on stage doing lots of Disney no-nos like talking on a cell phone, leaning, etc.

Onward to the Backlot Tour we were stopped by a wall of CM's in front of LMASS, when I overhear one of them tell someone, "High School Musical will be coming through here shortly, you can not cross until they arrive."
    Ack! Just like when the Power Rangers come out!

The Disney-MGM Studios doesn't have to put tape down for their Stars and Motor Cars Parade like Cast Members do at other parks and parades. Sad to see that they have to do that now.

Oh and to answer Evoulie's question the "Animation Academy" is location in the Animation Courtyard (between Voyage and Playhouse, right next to The Art of Disney store). The attraction is called, The Magic of Disney Animation and it's changed a LOT over the past years as animation at Disney has changed since the attraction originally opened.

Great photos of the construction and update overall. It sounds like you had a great, fun-filled day! Now if only I was there...

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    No, they used to. They have/had a similiar booth inside Tomorrowland at Disneyland. (I'm not sure if it's still there.)
    No they stopped useing our (Disneyland) Radio Disney booth when they got rid of Just Plan Mark and Zippy:-(, and they just turned it into a store a few months ago for Star Wars stuff. The one at MGM BeBe Good used to boradcast out of one of the booths (after Mark and Zippy left WDW) but they stopped using it some time in 2004/5 I want to say. They still at times do broadcast out of those working studios, but nothing full time.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• Yes?

Great report, Summer! I have a question...I haven't been on the backlot tour since before they tore out the residential street...I would really like to see the AFI Showcase exhibit. Is there a way to get to it without taking the tour? Like I said, I haven't been in this area of the park in years. Because of my daughter, we pretty much only go to this park for the parade and not much else.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Banned User

one of the afternoon DJs towards the evening sometimes broadcasts out of there...

i remember not dialing AM 1380 and hearing a lot of dreams ads.. lol

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    Great report, Summer! I have a question...I haven't been on the backlot tour since before they tore out the residential street...I would really like to see the AFI Showcase exhibit. Is there a way to get to it without taking the tour? Like I said, I haven't been in this area of the park in years. Because of my daughter, we pretty much only go to this park for the parade and not much else.
    Sure you can. You just have to go in the exit, which is through the gift shop at the end.

I don't know the name of the store, but if you are facing the front of the Splash Fountain, turn left and walk down this allyway, you will see the entrance on the right at the end.

Anyone know the name of that store? It's like Academy something or other.

• In Technicolor!

RadioDisney studios are in Dallas.
    These are the games that never end.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    RadioDisney studios are in Dallas.
    they will still broadcast out of other Disney radio stations when needed...

personally having someone in MGM is not a bad idea... if they are interactive.
    (Think of the park promos if the dj has an assistant who goes out and interviews. does shout outs from the parks and such..)

• In Technicolor!

Hey Summer, this looks like the HSM pep rally was in Streets of America. All of the reports and pictures I've seen have it in front of the hat. What's up?
    These are the games that never end.

• Banned User

Hey Summer, this looks like the HSM pep rally was in Streets of America. All of the reports and pictures I've seen have it in front of the hat. What's up?
    maybe they are testing a new stop area?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

The only thing I can think of is they moved it there because of the stage they put up in front of the hat? Unless the stage is supposed to be FOR HSM? The show was there all day but I didn't think to ask why it had moved.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 02-28-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast