Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• I was deleted.

Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

All that from the Pop? Hmm, I really enjoyed it more than the All Stars. I'm sorry to hear of that.

Blog Entries

I personally like the pop, I like the excitement of the food court area, I like listening to everybody talking about the wonderful day they had. As for the rooms, they are small but I know I've had a room with a King bed before. So they do have some, just not many.

[quote=flynnibus;1475485]
    The diversity of stuff to select from is interesting.. they seem to be expanding. However, at the same time.. its kind of funny looking at stuff how they tag it. A candy bar = 'snack' on the DDP now? How sad.
    quote]

A candy bar is meant to be a snack, no matter where it's eaten.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I'm with KCNOLE.....our first stay on property will be at the Pop in May...and everything you said...just made me more excited. you go to Disney for fun, excitement...I wanted that to extend into our hotel...and it looks like it will staying here. We've rented condos the last two trips we've taken...with all the amenities...jacuzzis, private pools...and it was just missing something. The POp looks colorful, playful, childlike...everything we imagine for a Disney vacation. Staying at Shades of Green is an option for us too, but, if I wanted to stay at a regular hotel....why stay on property? We'll be spending everyday at the park on this trip.....9 full days...so, the pool is really all we're interested in, and the food courts are an added plus. I think it sounds like great fun....but, then, I like the mall.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    FWIW, the newly renovated rooms at All-Star Music are MUCH nicer than Pop, which is much more basic although the room size is identical.
    We just got back yesterday and this is what we felt. We did the family suite thing and it was fine....we were out of the room more than in it...and slept when we were there.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• World Traveler

Thanks for the information. We'll definitely take it into account when selecting a hotel next time.

I think that maybe your expectations were set too high for the value resorts. But in the end, I do think that you would have had a better outlook if you would have stayed at one of the All-Stars instead of the POP. The All-Stars are actually very nice. The POP definitely has the feeling of being a resort built on an open piece of property, it's sprawling, its large, and it very much has an industrial or retail campus feel to it. With that said however, I always thought that the rooms were nice and the benefits outweigh the downsides.

When I stayed at the All Star Music however, I was amazed at how it was integrated into the Floridian pine forests. It was nothing like I had expected it to be. Now, I'm not wealthy, and when I go on vacation I have to stay within my means. This pretty much means that I will not be staying at a Deluxe resort in the near future. I have stayed at some pretty nice resorts, and to my perspective, the All Stars are pretty close to some of the nicest ones I've been to.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Banned User

I've always felt that the Value "Resorts" were a mistake and pieces of crap that never should have been built. Just another example of the Disney company flushing WDW down the toilet. Disney Hotels should have stayed "Deluxe" a la the Polynesian and Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge etc. I don't even like the idea of the "Moderate" resorts. Unless under very specific circumstances, if it doesn't have interior hallways, and rooms just have a window looking out onto an exterior walkway, I don't really like it.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I've always felt that the Value "Resorts" were a mistake and pieces of crap that never should have been built.
    sure, why should people that can't afford $250 a night be able to stay on property? If we can't afford Deluxe prices, we shouldn't be able to participate in that aspect of Disney magic. You know what? It's just selfish of us to want to stay on property. You're completely right...if you can't afford to go Deluxe, then you're just S.O.L. Disney magic should ONLY be allowed and availiable to those with bottomless pockets....or at least darn near close to it. I guess Ol' Walt was a little off with that whole "to ALL who come here..welcome."

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    sure, why should people that can't afford $250 a night be able to stay on property? If we can't afford Deluxe prices, we shouldn't be able to participate in that aspect of Disney magic. You know what? It's just selfish of us to want to stay on property. You're completely right...if you can't afford to go Deluxe, then you're just S.O.L. Disney magic should ONLY be allowed and availiable to those with bottomless pockets....or at least darn near close to it. I guess Ol' Walt was a little off with that whole "to ALL who come here..welcome."
    Right On! I for one don't believe that the philosophy of Disney was to cater only to the super rich. I'm glad that some folks can afford to stay in such a nice resort.

But in my honest opinion, I think that spending over $120 a night at a resort is, for lack of a better word, idiotic.

When I go to Disney World, I go for the parks, the Golf Courses, and the restaurants, I don't go to swim or lounge around in a room all week, I can do that here in Minnesota for a hell of a lot cheaper. I always quote my dad when it comes to this concept. "A hotel room is where you sleep!" Thats how I look at it. When I want downtime, I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars at Disney World to do it. I want adventure, excitement, and magic, and the parks provide that. The hotel room for me just provides a place to rest my head. The All-Stars and Pop do that just fine. Just think, the difference in a night at, say, the Poly, as opposed to the Pop, could buy you a entire dinner at Ohana, which you don't have to be staying at the Poly to enjoy. I think Disney did a very smart thing in building the Value resorts, because it, in a way, is a great equalizer. I don't believe in classes, VIPs, or divisional superiority in any way. As far as I'm concerned, all guests, from the richest millionaire, to the poorest traveler, are equal.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

I recall back when Caribbean Beach was being designed and built...there was much hair-pulling at Disney with trying to figure out how to create lower priced hotel options, and yet still maintain a quality level that Guests had come to expect from Disney...without undercutting the higher priced Monorail hotels.

Obviously if lower priced but still on-property places were too nice...folks would forgo the higher priced hotels, and that might place downward pressure on their rates as a result of lower occupancy.

But they couldn't build places that were so crappy, that folks wouldn't feel like they were at Disney, and/or feel like paying that extra $30 to $40 a night to be on-property...for basically the same room they could get off-property for less.

As Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans and Dixie Landings all came up and running...their popularity and demand for rooms there quickly led to much higher prices. The feeling seemed to be that they had actually built them just a tad too nice for the lower priced market they were originally shooting for. And so those got sort of bumped up in rank to a "Moderate" category, and the development of the "Value" All-Stars was put into high gear. But again with much hair-pulling on figuring out how to handle the same challenges.

Generally I agree with the OP in that the All-Stars are basically glorified Motel rooms with a food court, lobby, and shop nearby. And they may indeed disappoint many Guests who have expectations of a "Disney" hotel as always having super high quality and services. But in that Disney doesn't really market these as anything super special and is generally honest in their ads about what you're getting at the All-Stars...I don't think you can really blame Disney, and I think they generally fulfill their original purpose and not too many Guests leave the place feeling in any way cheated or having overpaid (at least not by too much).

I look at them as Motels that you are simply paying extra for some fun Disney design elements, proximity to the action (on-property), and related on-property benefits (transport, early entry). If you think those are worth the extra money you pay vs off-property for the same room type...then you pay it. Simple as that. IMHO.

A question that I'm sure Disney has considered many times is, "How low can you go?" Let's create for a moment a category of hotel called "Budget" that falls below "Value." Could Disney pull that off? Or have they already reached the bottom limit of what can be built and still carry the "Disney's" flag over the property?

Personally, I think they've gone pretty close to the edge of the envelope with a "Disney's" flagging. Which is probably why you see them building the new development on the west side of the property...with outside lessee hotel operators. They'll probably brand them as "Official Hotels of..." like they've done before, and just collect their checks from those lessees. But they won't be "Disney."

The "Budget" market is a huge one. And I'm sure Disney wants a piece of it. But Disney is somewhat limited by their own name and market perceptions as to how far they can go into that market, without hurting their brand and perhaps other existing properties.

I think most of Disney's future eggs will be in the Moderate and Value areas.

So yes...staying at the Values may be a bit like staying in a mall. But as Walt said when someone called his product "corny"..."Well...people eat a lot of corn!" And a lot of people like or don't mind those mall environments.

IMHO.

Last edited by Opus1guy; 03-03-2007 at 01:05 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    I've always felt that the Value "Resorts" were a mistake and pieces of crap that never should have been built. Just another example of the Disney company flushing WDW down the toilet. Disney Hotels should have stayed "Deluxe" a la the Polynesian and Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge etc. I don't even like the idea of the "Moderate" resorts. Unless under very specific circumstances, if it doesn't have interior hallways, and rooms just have a window looking out onto an exterior walkway, I don't really like it.
    Oh come on, that's why there's CHOICE. You have a CHOICE to not stay in one!

I can see why POFQ is romantic for couples and the Contemporary with the MK view was like an (expensive) dream come true but I don't need all that on my third and solo trip to WDW. I'll probably stay at ASMu next time because that's all I need.

If you wanted amenities, you don't choose the cheapest resort. That's the same for anywhere. This is as bad as the people who stay downtown and complain that Binion's is not like MGM Grand.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I recall back when Caribbean Beach was being designed and built...there was much hair-pulling at Disney with trying to figure out how to create lower priced hotel options, and yet still maintain a quality level that Guests had come to expect from Disney...without undercutting the higher priced Monorail hotels.

Obviously if lower priced but still on-property places were too nice...folks would forgo the higher priced hotels, and that might place downward pressure on their rates as a result of lower occupancy.

But they couldn't build places that were so crappy, that folks wouldn't feel like they were at Disney, and/or feel like paying that extra $30 to $40 a night to be on-property...for basically the same room they could get off-property for less.
    Well, luxury isn't the whole equation. Just by being integrated into the resort the values have some things going for them that make them worth the money over a Comfort Inn. Things like the bus service, the packages to your hotel, and more.

As I said in the Four Seasons thread, Disney as a luxury brand is an idea so outmoded today, I think people's main concern is that the rooms are clean considering how often people with children are staying in them. You don't want some of the horror stories I've heard from Circus Circus about bed sheets, among other things.

And the thing is that Disney has nothing to be afraid of by budget travelers because they operate every cash register for miles and miles. So someone who doesn't want to pay for a nice hotel room probably is just saving that money for a longer stay or better meals or more souvenirs. Disney doesn't mind so long as they all left lighter in the pocket than when they started.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    Sorry, that argument doesn't sway me. Back when there was only the Polynesian and the Contemporary, and the Fort Wildnerness campground, are you saying that wasn't right? Anyway, too bad, you work, you save your money and you get to stay in the deluxe property someday.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    "A hotel room is where you sleep!"
    Not in my world it isn't. I can't enjoy the rest of what I'm doing if I'm sleeping in a ****hole. I can only stay in such plain drab quarters under very specific circumstances, and only if it is very short.

Call me a snob. Because I am.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast