Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 147
  1. #31

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    I don't believe in classes, VIPs, or divisional superiority in any way.
    Oh I do, I completely do. You just have to pay for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, all guests, from the richest millionaire, to the poorest traveler, are equal.
    Not if they didn't pay for it.

  2. #32

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    sure, why should people that can't afford $250 a night be able to stay on property? If we can't afford Deluxe prices, we shouldn't be able to participate in that aspect of Disney magic. You know what? It's just selfish of us to want to stay on property. You're completely right...if you can't afford to go Deluxe, then you're just S.O.L. Disney magic should ONLY be allowed and availiable to those with bottomless pockets....or at least darn near close to it. I guess Ol' Walt was a little off with that whole "to ALL who come here..welcome."
    P.S. If you think Disney built those Value "Resorts" out the goodness of their hearts so even the lower income visitors could stay and "enjoy the magic" of staying on property, you're wrong. Dead wrong. It's also naive too. Disney built them as so they could hog the entire market, from bottom to top. No altruism on Disney's part, absolutely none.

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,789

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Well, luxury isn't the whole equation.
    I never mentioned luxury. Only price and service differentials. So I'm not quite sure why you're quoting me in that context.

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Just by being integrated into the resort the values have some things going for them that make them worth the money over a Comfort Inn. Things like the bus service, the packages to your hotel, and more.
    Pretty much what I also stated, so no argument there:

    Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    ...you are simply paying extra for some fun Disney design elements, proximity to the action (on-property), and related on-property benefits (transport, early entry). If you think those are worth the extra money you pay vs off-property for the same room type...then you pay it. Simple as that.


    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    As I said in the Four Seasons thread, Disney as a luxury brand is an idea so outmoded today...
    Again...not really a part of this "low-end" dicussion. Besides, I don't think Disney has ever been considered a luxury brand! Expensive, perhaps. But not luxury.

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    And the thing is that Disney has nothing to be afraid of by budget travelers because they operate every cash register for miles and miles.
    I never said that Disney was afraid of them! I said the opposite...that Disney would very much like to have those currently off-property hotel dollars too.

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    So someone who doesn't want to pay for a nice hotel room probably is just saving that money for a longer stay or better meals or more souvenirs. Disney doesn't mind so long as they all left lighter in the pocket than when they started.
    Agree with you there. That's always been a natural dynamic of vacationing since time began!

    Though the market is much more fragmented and categorized than just your example. There are many more examples of why someone might select the more inexpensive property. Depending on how some folks allocate their vacation time...some look at the hotel room as simply a place to store their clothes and sleep. Those people can be rich or poor and everything in between.

    Other people may desire to have the hotel be a bigger part of their vacation...relaxing...dining...spa'ing...swimming. ..recreation. Or have proximity desires.

    So it's not just about people staying at cheap hotels just to stretch out their stay or money for other expenditures. Those people exist that's for sure. But it's not the exclusive reason for that type of stay behavior.

    Take us for example. I don't know if I'd call us wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. But we certainly can afford the best Disney has to offer if we wish. However...I just happen to be a bit anal. And we actually like staying at different properties during a stay and don't mind changing hotels once or perhaps even twice during a stay. So what we do is plan so many days as "Theme Park Days." On those days cheap and even off-property are fine with us! The room just stores us while we re-charge. Even when off-property, we find our rental car gets us around faster and more efficiently than Disney transport would.

    But on the same trip we'll often then switch to one of the nicer on-property hotels (Polynesian is our favorite, but we do others sometimes) and those are our "Hotel Days" where we do more relaxing, sleeping in, shopping, recreation, perhaps room service on occasion...that sort of thing.

    This saves us lots of money. And we do it not because we need to or are on a budget. We do it simply because we know we can save money, and don't believe in paying for facilities and services that we're not going to be needing or using. Nothing puts a knot in my stomach more than paying $300+ for a night at the Grand when the only time I've been in the hotel is to sleep, shower and change!

    Some trips are short weekend deals where all we do is Theme Parks...so it's el cheapos for us and we're just fine!


  4. #34

    • Disappearing/Reappearing
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ~wandering~
    Posts
    9,992

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Anyway, too bad, you work, you save your money and you get to stay in the deluxe property someday
    guess what Buddy? That's what some of us have to do in order to just make a trip to Disney. My family has been VERY blessed in that, we have gone to Disney three times in the past 2 years, but, it was by cutting corners, staying in Air Force Vacation condos, and limiting our days in Disney. Right now, the only reason we are even getting to stay on property at a value resort, is because I have gotten a job and it's sole purpose is to pay for our trip. My husband is military, fighting for YOUR country, making poverty level salary, I work part time, and stay full time with our daughter....but, I guess in your eyes, that's not deserving of staying on Disney property. In your eyes, our next trip wouldn't even happen...we'd have to wait 2 more years and then, if we're REAL lucky and prices don't jump (again) we could stay 2 years from now. We're not deserving of Disney magic....people like you honestly make me sick. You think you're so much better than everyone else cause you make more money and can do whatever you want...guess what? I don't even want the same things as you. I don't want to stay at a deluxe resort where you have to tiptoe around and your kids can;t run and make noise...I want to have fun, make noise and enjoy myself...but, because my idea of a good time, isn't the same as yours...I have to do without? I thank God you're not in charge of Disney.

    If you think Disney built those Value "Resorts" out the goodness of their hearts so even the lower income visitors could stay and "enjoy the magic" of staying on property, you're wrong. Dead wrong. It's also naive too.
    trust me, I know why they built them. But, they didn't have to make the rates what they are either. I work front desk at a hotel with basic amenities that charges more than the Disney Value resorts charge. And for what? To stay in our dinky town? Disney built them to make money, yes...but, also to spread the magic. See, that's kinda what Walt had in mind.....magic for everyone...not just those with deep pockets.




  5. #35

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    I don't even want the same things as you. I don't want to stay at a deluxe resort where you have to tiptoe around and your kids can;t run and make noise...I want to have fun, make noise and enjoy myself...but, because my idea of a good time, isn't the same as yours...
    So, are you saying it's ok to be loud and annoy others around you because you're staying at the economy place?

    This is the attitude I fear people will have who choose to stay there. That's why i will cut corners elsewhere, so I can at least relax and enjoy the hotel without listening to loud people and screaming loud kids. Having common courtesy for others should have nothing to do with your income level, it should be common sense..... (this is not directed at you, but more at the experiences I had staying at the less expensive hotels in the past. It seems the pricer hotels have quieter guests, but it should not be that way.)

  6. #36

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    My husband is military,
    Isn't that what they built Shades of Green for?

  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,789

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    So, are you saying it's ok to be loud and annoy others around you because you're staying at the economy place?

    This is the attitude I fear people will have who choose to stay there. That's why i will cut corners elsewhere, so I can at least relax and enjoy the hotel without listening to loud people and screaming loud kids. Having common courtesy for others should have nothing to do with your income level, it should be common sense..... (this is not directed at you, but more at the experiences I had staying at the less expensive hotels in the past. It seems the pricer hotels have quieter guests, but it should not be that way.)
    This is so, so, so, so, so true. As a true Road Warrior...I know all about this subject!

    Hotels/Motels should never be playgrounds in and around the guestroom areas...at any time of the day or night! And it's not just a matter of day and night. Many guests in hotels have their sleeping hours during the day!

    Most hotel policies and innkeeping laws actually recognize this (though enforcement varies greatly from property to property).

    Too many people think that just because they rent a room in a hotel, that they and their children can act like they do at home within the confines of their four hotel room walls, and even out in the hallways. But hotels are a very different animal.

    And you're right that it does seem to scale based on price level even though it shouldn't be that way and shouldn't have anything to do with the economics of the people involved or the economics of the place they are staying at.

    But it's not totally exclusive to price, that's for sure. I've stayed at many top-end properties and encountered parents that either had no desire to control their kids, or think that the higher amount of money they were paying gave them "the right" to do whatever they wanted. Fortunately...hotel management always seems to side with the "quiet" side of that debate.

    But I agree it does happen less often at higher end places.

    Same with First Class on airplanes these days. Most parents that bring their children along in First Class are very good, and control their children just fine. But a few think that paying more for First Class somehow gives them the right to turn the place into their kid's playground...running up and down the aisle or yelling or what have you. Again fortunately, most Flight Attendants seem to manage such situations pretty well.

    It's usually not the kids that are the problem...it's the parents!!!

    I expect the same level of peace and quiet in my economy hotel room as I do in my high-end hotel room. It's part of the basic policies of any reputable hotel or motel...to provide a secure and quiet room, with hot and cold water and other basic features. I just seem to have to fight for the "quiet" part more at economy places.

    If the poor soundproofing of a particular property makes that difficult...I just place that bone on management's plate and expect them to take care of the issue. Sometimes they offer me a different room away from the noisy people. Nope. No way. I tell them it's their problem and either get the noisy people to quiet down, move them, or eject them.

    And I have had to do that. And then the hotels do what they have to do. I don't like seeing anybody displaced from their hotel or motel room. But it is a hotel for crying out loud! Their home, and the park and playgound are elsewhere.

    IMHO and experience.

  8. #38

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Menomonie, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    811

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post

    Call me a snob. Because I am.
    That's for sure. But if that makes you happy, then hey, more power to you.

    I love the Value resorts, because it gives a middle-class, hard working family like mine the chance to get a Disney experience. I see nothing wrong with them, in fact, I think they're fun. I also think they're anything but crap. They are clean, the staff (for the most part) is friendly, and the buses stop by pretty quick; in the end that's all we really want.

    BTW: In some cases, it's not a matter of saving up. When my family goes on vacation, we know that we have to be responsible. My folks only get two to four weeks of vacation a year, and if we "saved up", that would mean that they would only get to do something fun once every two or three years. There are somethings more important to us, the hotel we stay at just isn't one of them.
    Last edited by DoppelV; 03-03-2007 at 06:11 PM.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

    DoppelV

  9. #39

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    The original post review of Pop Century is pretty much what I would expect out of the value resorts. I definitely would not stay there if I were looking to get more out of the hotel than a place to sleep and shower.

    The perks of staying there vs. outside the park make it still worth choosing, but barely.

    Thanks for the review, though. It's nice to know ahead of time what you would be getting yourself into should you choose one of the value resorts. The Disney website certainly doesn't paint the full, realistic picture.

  10. #40

    • Disappearing/Reappearing
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ~wandering~
    Posts
    9,992

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Scubabe--no, that's not how I let my child act, and it's not according to the price of the hotel, imo, but, in accordance to it's theming. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my child in someplace like the Grand Floridian, because I wouldn't think it would be much fun for her, and I would feel like I have to whisper and tip toe. At the other Deluxe resorts like Poly, I don't know. I'm sure it's fun...but, me and my husband are very "fun" people. We like loud colors, larger than life things, and we both have a great sense of humor...so, Pop seemed to fit. I mean, Giant Mr potato heads? Seems right up our alley. It's seems like fun, someplace you can sit back, relax and just chill. For some people...that's peace and quiet...for us...FUN!!!


    Isn't that what they built Shades of Green for?
    So, we should be banished there? I work for a national hotel chain, if I wanted to stay in your average run of the mill hotel I could do it for MUCH cheaper than Disney could provide. We prefer to have a little something different. Something we can't get anywhere else. I'm really sorry for saying you make me sick, cause in actuality, you make me sad. Sad that people can be so small minded not to care about other people only about themselves. I'm glad that you can afford to stay at the Deluxe resorts and that you enjoy it SO much. I really am. Even if I could afford it...I think I'd still go this way. It fits my personality. I would say the majority of the people here feel the same way as I do....that Disney shouldn't be a "priveledged club" it should be for everyone....that includes all of Disney..including the hotels. I think that's pretty much what Walt hoped for.




  11. #41

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    A candy bar is meant to be a snack, no matter where it's eaten.
    a snack used to be a item such as a counter service snack.. such as a meal from the counter in Poly.. now its a single .50 cent item. at least give me a $3 ice cream bar.. but a .50 cent box of nerds? that's sad

  12. #42

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    I always quote my dad when it comes to this concept. "A hotel room is where you sleep!" Thats how I look at it. When I want downtime, I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars at Disney World to do it. I want adventure, excitement, and magic, and the parks provide that. The hotel room for me just provides a place to rest my head.
    The difference is the 'experience' shouldn't end when you leave the parks. That's part of the beauty of staying on property is to have the disney experience envelope you full time.. not just when you drive through the gates. Yes, I don't expect to spend tons of time in the hotel.. but I also don't want to dread or have the atmosphere crash hard when I get back to the hotel.

    When we did the 'all inclusive' wdw trips back in the 80s.. it was great because the experience didn't stop until you LEFT.. totally different from going to parks for the day.

  13. #43

    • I am number 4 of 999
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,195

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    We just came back after a week at the Pop Century, and like our last trip in which we stayed at the All Star Movies, this resort is such a perfect fit. We roll out of bed, shower and head off to the parks. When the parks close we crawl back to the resort with the last sliver of energy we have left and crash immediately because we are exhausted. The next day we rise and do it again. I haven't been in any Disney pool (on either coast) and I probably never will be... WHO HAS TIME?! The "value" resorts are a perfect fit for how I vacation.

    I do have a question on deluxe resorts, though. Are the mattresses any different? Is the toilet paper any better? Are the toiletries the same? These are the only huge differences that I could see swaying my money towards a deluxe or better resort. If they have the same mattresses, toilet paper and shampoo, then what are you really paying for?

  14. #44

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Menomonie, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    811

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The difference is the 'experience' shouldn't end when you leave the parks. That's part of the beauty of staying on property is to have the disney experience envelope you full time.. not just when you drive through the gates. Yes, I don't expect to spend tons of time in the hotel.. but I also don't want to dread or have the atmosphere crash hard when I get back to the hotel.
    That's why the All-Stars and Pop are such great additions. To those who could not afford the Deluxe resorts, the magic did end every single night. But with the addition of the value resorts, the magic gets to keep going.
    Every night, when our day at the parks was over, we were able to return "home" to this...



    The fact that we were given the same rights as everybody else was fantastic. Like I said before, I believe in equal treatment, which I think Disney does a great job of with their inclusion of the Value Resorts.

    And just a slight observation...

    It would seem from the attitude of a lot of the posts here that many folks aren't really upset with the resorts themselves, but rather the people who stay there. To that, I just have one statement...shame on you. Sure there are people who have rowdy kids, but they can be found every where at any time, even your precious Deluxe resorts. In fact, on my last trip, when dining at Ohana, my sister was nearly run over by a couple of them in the lobby of the Poly. They were on their way back from the pool, so I'm gonna venture a guess and say they were guests. When you generalize and criticize other people because of their cultural or economical status, you are really just making a fool of yourself. Obviously this is not directed at any single person, just a (poor) generalization I've been noticing on this thread.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

    DoppelV

  15. #45

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: Staying at the Values.. like staying in a Mall!

    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    I do have a question on deluxe resorts, though. Are the mattresses any different? Is the toilet paper any better? Are the toiletries the same? These are the only huge differences that I could see swaying my money towards a deluxe or better resort. If they have the same mattresses, toilet paper and shampoo, then what are you really paying for?
    I can't speak in regards to the toilet paper (I don't recall the quality) or the shampoo, because I bring my own, but the beds in the nicer hotels are way better than the less expensive hotels I've been in. I have never been to WDW, but I have stayed in some cheap hotels and some really nice ones. The beds and pillows are awesome in the nicer hotels.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] I'll be staying at..
    By easy in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 08:19 AM
  2. First time staying on property - Is it worth staying Conceirge?
    By LilRah08 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 09:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •