Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Impressions of the Monsters Inc Laugh Club

Well, being in the MK on thursday and based on previous posts.. we were hoping to get a preview of the show. Watching it earlier in the day.. never spotted anyone lurking around, except for one CM always stationed in front of the queue.. acting more as a Q&A CM or just general help.

We started in TL for the day.. and came back later in the day. When we came back around 3:30 or so.. we found people entering the show building. We quickly scooted that way and walked right in.

No pictures yet, which I'll post when I get home when I can actually get the photos off the cam.. but here's my thoughts.

First off.. what's the deal with this queue? The queue pre-show is nothing but a bunch of vinyl banners hung around all over. Once you enter the pre-show area where they show you the videos.. its a bit better. With various doors with names, some other static effects, etc.

As for the show itself.. hrmm.. I expected MUCH better animation. The rendering framerate is noticably very low and sporatic. Especially with Mike W. The other Monsters seemed better, but for some reason Mike W's framerate was very bad. Including major glitches at the start of the show where the animation was talking for 5+ seconds, but the actor wasn't or it wasn't being heard in the theatre. I never had any complaints about Crush's animation in the Turtle Talk show.

The theatre itself was 'ok'.. but they have a laugh meter, which I don't think they tie into the live action of the show very well at all. I wish they had more physical elements to the show, rather then the pure digital only portion of the show.

The 'comedy' portion was ok.. not amazing, not too boring. It's inline with the other corneyness with the humor throughout the rest of the park. It's tough to build humor with little background, and totally taking away comedy stalewarts like stereotyping, racial or ethnic jokes. They have some feature, which we didn't get to see the full details of because there was no wait in the queue.. where guests can txt message their joke suggestions. The interaction with the guests was ok. Its about the same you've come to expect with Leno/Letterman/etc when they work with the audience.

Overall I felt the attraction was a baby-step up from Turtle Talk. However, Turtle talk last year was hidden away in a small theatre with no real pre-show at all.. so nothing there to detract from things being done poorly. But Monster's Inc has a proper show building, queue, and pre-show area. These are pretty 'cheaply' done IMO. Overall.. an 'ok' attraction.. but still feels like a ride people will goto because 'its there' rather then seeking out because they want to go see it

• Banned User

Re: Impressions of the Monsters Inc Laugh Club

OMG.. sounds horrible.

I have yet to hear one positive review of this turkey ... and across from the Stitch disaster too.

Amazing these folks have high-paying, creative jobs ... I guess 'W' is right ... this is the greatest country in the world (if you're ignorant, incompetent or come from a monied family!)

• Pilot EdForceOne

I rode stich for the first time this trip too (we skipped it last time due to the kids). It's not great, but I don't find it aweful. I wish the 'staging' theatre actually had something in it. It reminded me more of a 4D movie attraction or hybrid of such.

The one thing the stich ride left me with as I left was.. how much they reuse the existing show building spaces and how little they actually change them. The round theatre with center piece really revitialized memories of the old 'Mission to XYZ' previous attractions.

As for 'worst 15mins of my life' kind of comments I've heard about the attraction.. I didn't feel robbed. Its another 'do it because its there' attraction. At least it doesn't feel like a carnival clone.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Thanks for the descriptions, Flynnibus. Doesn't sound too amazing. Can you tell us more about the attraction... more details and stuff. Spot any reference to Time Keeper?

Would you rather see Time Keeper again or this new show?

And same with Stitch Encounter... how does it compare to Alien Encounter?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, this is one I'm not looking forward too.

I guess that corridor of TL is for bad shows. Stitch, and now this.

I hate to say it, but this may be a situation that merits cutting your losses and starting over. I think that the attraction was flawed from the get go, as catering to a diverse array of humor is almost impossible. I for one wasn't bummed when Timekeeper was closed. Today's audiences are looking for something more tangible, more interactive, an experience to say the least. Film based attractions must provide more or they will perish, as can be seen in the near past. However, these experiences need to follow a certain criteria in order to be successful.

1. It needs to be repeatable, the same effects need to astound and shock time and time again.
    2. It needs to be diverse, the problem with real-time interaction film attractions is that they can cater only to english-speaking and geo-general audiences in order to work.
    3. It needs to be something that guests cannot find (nearly)anywhere else. Walt Disney World has a comedy club, and while it's not hosted by monsters, it performs it's task successfully.

With these three criteria, the framework for a successful attraction are built. What imagineering chooses to do must at least minimally follow these "rules" or any attraction will be doomed to failure. You can pick any successful film based attraction and see how it fits within these rules. It make take some imagination to see it, but trust me, its there.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• is satisfactual.

It sounds awful. If you ask me, Disney shouldn't be meddling with humor at all. As an additional quality in its projects perhaps, but not humor for the sake of humor. It always ends up feeling like when your dad tried to make your friends laugh on your 14th birthday party.

I mean, strip Eddie Murphy of all the obscenities, the racial stereotypes and the toilet humor and you're left with Eddie Murphy in the Haunted Mansion. Dullsville.

• I miss those 4 trees!

It's sad to me that the best attractions in Tomorrowland are going to soon be the Peoplemover and Astro Orbiter (the only reason I'm discounting Space Mountain is because it seems so jerky to me now after experiencing Disneyland's and the one in Paris). I'm officially renaming this area Yawnmorrowland! The park is really losing interest for me starting at the Pooh attraction and ending all the way over to the farthest point in Tomorrowland. Great, now I'm depressed. What did I do with that bag of Chips Ahoy?

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    I hate to say it, but this may be a situation that merits cutting your losses and starting over.
    And yet the opening date is supposedly set for April 2nd. (I'm guessing April 1st is out for fear the guests would think it's a practical joke.)

The very fact that this turd of a show even got out of blue sky is proof enough for a change in leadership in Glendale. Living characters work on the small scale in settings such as Crush, because of the one-to-one nature of the environment. Crush isn't performing on a stage as part of a scripted act; we're welcomed into his home for informal conservation.

Crush is a high-tech version of the classic character meet-n-greet, which is always the highlight of any child's trip to a Disney park. And I feel this is why the reactions are positive for Muppets Mobile Lab. Small, intimate settings, informal conversation... meet-n-greet with classic Muppet characters.

But Laugh Floor isn't intimate. It isn't informal chit-chat; it's a comedy club stage show. And the main characters are unknown quantities. Not true for Crush nor Dr. Honeydew and Beaker.

I'd rather see the plug pulled on LF altogether for something repeatable and worth my time. I think hanging out in the Pooh playground would be more enjoyable than this nonsense. At least I'd get some fresh air.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This sounds to me like another dud in the vein of "honey, I shrunk the audience". Only amusing for the first and maybe 2nd time. After that, you don't want to see it ever again.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• If We Can Dream It...

With this now, it makes you wonder which Tomorrowland is in need of more help.
    - Horizonsfan

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    This sounds to me like another dud in the vein of "honey, I shrunk the audience".
    And this one is not even in 3D to elevate the interest factor one notch!!!

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    This sounds to me like another dud in the vein of "honey, I shrunk the audience". Only amusing for the first and maybe 2nd time. After that, you don't want to see it ever again.
    I resent that!
    Then again, I don't remember when we didn't have an "Open House" and The Inventor of the Year Award is more like the same award every 30 minutes award. Hmm..

Excuse me, I have to go present the Inventor of the Year Award. Again.

• The one, the only...

The Monsters Inc world would have been an very interesting world to enter into for real. I think an animatronic attraction where one got to experience the funny looking characters would delight both kids and adults. I would love to see a full size Scully in real life. That would be a show.

But this is an animation. It does not take the experience of the original film any further. People are just going to watch a big screen TV. That can be done at home.

The laugh floor concept for an attraction seems weak to begin with. Michael was not that funny in the film, but of course that was what was funny! Sometime a bad comedian can be very funny. But that takes true brilliance to pull off.

All this attraction seems like is a low budget movie. Something to see if there is nothing better to do.

But the Magic Kingdom deserves a true top-notch, E-ticket, to attract customers to the most popular park in the world. Fill the park with sub-standard attractions and people will go elsewhere.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast