Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shades of Green

• Minion

Shades of Green

Just wondering if anyone has stayed there lately. It was the best hotel! I stayed there in 2000 and 2001. Just wondering how it is now and if they ever did the contstuction of the new rooms!
    BTW- Shades of Green is an Army Airforce hotel on Disney property. Only military and retired military and their famly and friends can stay there. They are a tax free resort!

Re: Shades of Green

Not lately. But back when Disney owned and operated it (as the Golf Resort Hotel and then as The Disney Inn)...it was very nice. Especially if you liked peace and quiet. The rooms were a good size, with a low partition separating the bed area from the living room area.

I remember staying there once with a bunch of Disney Legends from animation and Imagineering. They all had rooms on the ground floor, and they'd sit out on their patios with cocktails, and feed the deers with various snacks! The deers would walk right up and eat out of your hands. Some even came into the room to be fed!

Probably reminded them of their life-study classes for Bambi!

Have only been in there a couple of times since they leased it to the Department of Defense R&R division. But haven't been in there for 5 years at least...so afraid I can't help you other than to say it's in a very nice and quite area of the property.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Not lately. But back when Disney owned and operated it (as the Golf Resort Hotel and then as The Disney Inn)...it was very nice. Especially if you liked peace and quiet. The rooms were a good size, with a low partition separating the bed area from the living room area.

I remember staying there once with a bunch of Disney Legends from animation and Imagineering. They all had rooms on the ground floor, and they'd sit out on their patios with cocktails, and feed the deers with various snacks! The deers would walk right up and eat out of your hands. Some even came into the room to be fed!

Probably reminded them of their life-study classes for Bambi!

Have only been in there a couple of times since they leased it to the Department of Defense R&R division. But haven't been in there for 5 years at least...so afraid I can't help you other than to say it's in a very nice and quite area of the property.
    At one time, they were the only hotel on property with the largest rooms (not incl suites) not sure if that is still the case. They also, at the time I stayed, were the only resort hotel to have a mickey head shaped pool!
    Also, saw the deer. They would come right up to our patio.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'd have more fun feeding the deer!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Actually, it isn't leased anymore. The Department of Defense went ahead and purchased the resort in 1996.

I stayed there in (I think) 2000. Don't remember much, but it was nice. I really wanted to go when they were rebuilding and putting guests in the Contemporary.

Stayed there last year. The new hotel is great! Has been tranformed into a moutain like lodge. The new wing has very big rooms ( 5 people easy). The older wings were also re-done. Same huge rooms as before, just a little dated compared to the new wing.

We love SOG for the value, location close to the MK,Poly (Monorail) and TTC, at a value resort rate. The bus service is not Disney, but is very good at keeping a schedule. My only complaint is they did not upgrade the pool area. The pool area is a bit far from the new wing. The new restarants are Italian and a Coffee shop which are both very good and well priced. The Coffee shop has a very good breakfast buffet. There is also a quick service area under the walkway to the bus stop for the early morning rush. Coffee,muffins and juice at a much lower price than the parks.Last but not least the hotel has a giftshop that has everything you will need, including beer and wine, at a much lower price than any other resort on property.

What the resort lacks in Disney like theming it makes up for in value. If you can stay there ,I say do it!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Actually, it isn't leased anymore. The Department of Defense went ahead and purchased the resort in 1996.

I stayed there in (I think) 2000. Don't remember much, but it was nice. I really wanted to go when they were rebuilding and putting guests in the Contemporary.
    Do they own the building, but actually lease the land? Or did Disney actually SELL them the land too? If they did, that was really really dumb.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Do they own the building, but actually lease the land? Or did Disney actually SELL them the land too? If they did, that was really really dumb.
    I don't know and I never actually gave it any thought. I'd guess just the resort. I've never seen a mention of the land being deannexed from the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

• Minion

I thought they had a 100 yr lease.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

My dd''s , hubby and grandsons are there as I type , so far she has said it is beautiful will get a full report when they return next week.

• Lonestar Louisianian

We stayed there in 2005 and I echo every one of Disneyland1970's comments.
    We've been in both the original hotel and in the new wing. The rooms are ginormous (I love that word). We were had connecting rooms so that we could accomodate the whole family. It would be nice to have a pool closer to the new wing as it is quite a walk to the nearest one (and to the entrance to the resort). While long, the walk can sometimes be a nice way to relax, but coming back to the room after a day long jaunt in the parks, the sojurn to the room was a bit daunting, to say the least.
    They also have a sports bar, Evergreens, that has one of the best hamburgers you can find on Disney property.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I never realized that was the Disney Inn. I stayed there my first ever trip to WDW wayyy back in 1991. We had a great stay there.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

We stayed there in 2005 and loved it. The rooms are huge with queen sized beds and a sofa bed. My kids didn't have to sleep in the same bed. The bathrooms are great, too. The only thing we did not like was the pool. They really should redo it. The price is great and of course you can get your park tickets there as well, tax free.

We haven't stayed there since because my husband really likes staying at the Disney hotels for the atmosphere, but I wouldn't mind staying at SOG again. Let us know what you decide to do and if you liked the place or not.

We've yet to stay because we can stay cheaper and a value resort then at sog. We do plan on going to eat dinner there on sat the 17th. We've walked thru it and its really nice.

• I'd rather be @ D-land

I'm so glad that Tracy98 asked this question because I had the same one. We are hoping to plan a trip to WDW in Oct 07 and I was trying to find out what benefits are available to this "on property" but not Disney owned hotel. Are extra magic hours available to SOG guests? Dinning plan? The SOG web site says that guests have access to the Disney transportation things but not the Magic Express. Since this would be our first trip as a family I want it to be wonderful. But not too expensive because that would discourage future trips. I guess the question is; Is the extra atmosphere at the Disney owned Moderate/Deluxe worth the extra $$?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast