• Tiki Lover

Magic Express Question

OK, a few questions someone might be able to help with...

1) Is there a way to check-in to your resort without having to actually stop there on your way to the parks?

2) Is there a way to send your carry-on bags to your resort with your luggage? (If you don't check-in first)

I know with all the mishaps being reported these ideas might sound insane...but was curious. Has anyone tried this?

You're better off checking in at the resort first. You can still check in even if it's hours before check-in time and your room isn't ready yet. You can get your room key activated for charging privileges (even if it won't yet open up a resort room door!), which can make your time at a park that day more convenient.

In addition, you can have your resort's Bell Services store your carry-ons for you.

So my advice is take DME to your resort, check in, have them store your stuff, and go get 'em!

-- Eric

One more thing ...

Disney will NOT transport your checked luggage to your resort if you're not on the DME bus. They specifically don't want DME to become a luggage transport only service. SO, you sort of have to go to your resort first.

If you don't use DME at all, you'll have to do something with your luggage if you want to go to a park, and the only thing you can do with your luggage is take it to your resort. If you do use DME for your luggage, you have to use it for your body, also, so you'll be at your resort anyway. Instead of high-tailing it to a bus stop to go to a park, check in first (you'll have to get them to store your carry-ons, anyway). Let's say your room IS ready but you're in too much of a rush to go up to it -- no worries, your DME luggage will be automatically delivered there whether you're there or not.

In short, no real way around going to the resort first. Think of it this way -- it'll save you cab fare from MCO to a park!

-- Eric

• Tiki Lover

Good information, thanks for the help and advice. I will pass this on to the rest of the group.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Also, please please please remember to tip the driver! I took DME to the airport on a trip earlier this month, and out of a bus that was about 3/4 full, and many with luggage, including myself, I was the only person I saw who slipped the guy a $5. My driver provided excellent service and was genuinely grateful for the tip.

Disney's Magical Express is not operated by Disney, but is operated by Mears. All transportation companies are taking a hit with Disney's new free service. These people don't earn much money, even less so with the arrangement from Disney, and tip money helps them support themselves and their families.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries
    On my very recent trip to Walt Disney World, I did not use Magical Express. When we arrived at our hotel, we had to go looking for Bell Services at POR. No one was there to take our bags. We arrived at 4 p.m. I realize that this is a busy time. When they finally took our bags, we had to wait 2 hours before they arrived at our room. My grandson's momma was not smart enough to put the swimming trunks in the backpack she was carrying so my grandson was waiting 2 hours for his first swim. I left for Downtown Disney without them, and we met up later. I complained to Bell Services, about why did we have to be in the room for luggage drop off, when Magical Express guests did not. No comment given by them. Since then, I have heard from various CM's and Bell Service people that yes you do, and someone else said, no you do not have to be in the room, your luggage magically arrives. Seems to me that they want you there, maybe not so you will tip them, which we did, but to make sure all is well. Why the conflicting answers?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    I complained to Bell Services, about why did we have to be in the room for luggage drop off, when Magical Express guests did not. No comment given by them. Since then, I have heard from various CM's and Bell Service people that yes you do, and someone else said, no you do not have to be in the room, your luggage magically arrives. Seems to me that they want you there, maybe not so you will tip them, which we did, but to make sure all is well. Why the conflicting answers?
    Since DME is set up to have your bags "magically" appear in your room, whether you're there or not, Disney pays the Bell Services CM a specific amount either per bag or per room (I'm not sure which); in this way, Bell Services CMs are "pre-tipped" for handling the DME luggage.

Not so for non-DME luggage. It seems Disney does not want to make a policy that prevents its tipped employees from the possibility of receiving tips.
    Is there a deeper explanation? Perhaps, but I am 100% sure that Bell Services CMs are "tipped" by Disney for handling CM luggage.

-- Eric

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by ron10036
    These people don't earn much money, even less so with the arrangement from Disney, and tip money helps them support themselves and their families.
    That's not what I was told by my driver. My driver said he was making some serious bank with the new arrangement.

Mears is still making money from ignorant shoppers on Travelocity, Orbitz, and Priceline, and Expedia. However, I have noticed recently that Travelocity has placed a notice about DME on the Disney Hotel selection.

Last week, the Mears booth was hoppin' at the MCO.