• golly gawrrsh

Disney Vacation Club

We've been thinking about this for a couple of years now - anyone on here DVC members? do you like it? is it worth the money? any pro's cons?

i know it's a point system but how does the $ part work? some much per point and a fee every year?

i read someone that it ends in 2042 and 2056 - so what happens then? do you have to buy all over again?

are they starting to sell points at cheaper costs because 15 years has passed since it started?

thanks.
    șoș Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
    We'll let you decided who types what șoș

• Vacation Club Member

Talking Re: Disney Vacation Club

We joined the DVC in 1998. We were going to the parks every year to every other year from Wisconsin. At that time we pushed the pencil hard trying to decide what to do. We knew that the parks were our favorite vacation. We figured out that we would have spent the same $$$$ in four trips since we pretty much went first class. Our investment did pay for itself in about four to five trips. Now we know that we would never be able to afford to stay at the Boardwalk if we had to pay for it out-of-pocket. It was well worth the investment. That said, I am not sure the situation is the same now. The points have doubled in price. I have never liked the fact that park entrance tickets aren't included. You have to push the pencil and see what you would spend out-of-pocket to stay at the same resort (I assume Saratoga Springs) and how much you would likely spend depending on how often you go. Then project it over time. Our investment was recouped in a short time and now we continue to stay in a five star resort, one bedroom condo, that we can walk to from the world showcase. Maybe I should quote someone who knows. I hold a VIP pass for the Florida Attractions Association and had lunch last year with Phil Holmes, the Vice President of the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. I mentioned that I had bought into the DVC in 1998, and his reply was, "and aren't you glad you did!" I have never regretted my decision and I own it till I'm 82. The situation may not be the same now, but the memories I have with my girls were more than worth the investment. God Bless and good luck with your decision.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." Walt Disney

Re: Disney Vacation Club

I am not a member, but have run the numbers a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by cooknthyme View Post
    i know it's a point system but how does the $ part work? some much per point and a fee every year?
    You must purchase a minimum of 150 points, cost per point is about $98-$101 now, so you are looking at at least a $15k outlay. The yearly maintenance fees are a few dollars per point, not sure what the latest is, but the last time I did the math I think I would have been paying about $500-$600 or so in yearly maintenance fees.

The points are used for your stay, weekends are much more expensive point wise than Sun-Thu. MousePlanet? may have a point chart.

i read someone that it ends in 2042 and 2056 - so what happens then? do you have to buy all over again?
    I'm not sure.

are they starting to sell points at cheaper costs because 15 years has passed since it started?
    No, although you can get cheaper costs buying resale thru 3rd parties.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamComeTrueJoe View Post
    I am not a member, but have run the numbers a few times.

You must purchase a minimum of 150 points, cost per point is about $98-$101 now, so you are looking at at least a $15k outlay. The yearly maintenance fees are a few dollars per point, not sure what the latest is, but the last time I did the math I think I would have been paying about $500-$600 or so in yearly maintenance fees.

The points are used for your stay, weekends are much more expensive point wise than Sun-Thu. MousePlanet? may have a point chart.

I'm not sure.

No, although you can get cheaper costs buying resale thru 3rd parties.
    The prices and points just went up. You now pay $104 a point and need to purchase a minimum of 160 points.

• GO DBACKS!!

How would one go about finding, or setting up, a 3rd party sale? Are their agencies that handle this?

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid View Post
    How would one go about finding, or setting up, a 3rd party sale? Are their agencies that handle this?
    Here is a link to a site that may help you out.
    http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Quote Originally Posted by BALASADA View Post
    Here is a link to a site that may help you out.
    http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
    Also you can google( Rent a disney vacation club time share )for alot of links.

• It was not ME

If you are looking to buy a Vacation club I would buy a resale, I brought mine here.
    http://www.dvc-resales.com/dvclisting.cfm
    If you are looking to save money this is the place to do it, I saved $20 a point on SS. Buying resale works great if you are not in a rush to use it, because sometimes you have to wait for the point to renew.

Now back to the first question, you pay a service fee every year for the points that you own, like I own 200 point the service fee was about $4 a point so I sent DVC a check for $800 this year.

The next question, all DVC owner lose ownership in 2042 except those at Saratoga Springs they have until 2054, when that happened I guess we are all out.

The DVC is a good deal if you go to Disney World A lot, like last year we when four times so it works for us. Now some of the other places outside of Disney World will cost you way to many points, they are something crazy like 50 points a night to go to Disneyland. But remember you can always rent your points out to other people that want to do to Disney world then you can take that money and go somewhere else.

Here's a link to an info page on renting points. It has some basic info along with links where you can get more. Barrie

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cooknthyme View Post
    We've been thinking about this for a couple of years now - anyone on here DVC members? do you like it? is it worth the money? any pro's cons?

thanks.
    Most my time is on the Disneyland board Yes I'm a DVC member Dec 92
    the price of hotel have gone up in price and I will be pay the same price back in year 2000

after you pay off main number of points and each year you will pay a maintenance Fee about 4.50 - 5.00 a points.
    you pay about 1/2- 3/4 cast of a room at that resort.

I havce stay at Grand Calif, Resort at Disneyland and save cost for a room about $250.00 to $300.00 night base on $5.00 points.
    each night use a number of points
    you can at any time of the year
    you stay how long you have points
    you can do the disney cruise if you have the points

you can rental out your points if you not use the points.
    I have done that to another member, but not you only that once a year.

start cost have gone up year 92 start $12000.00 about $55.00 points
    Now is 75.00 - 100.00 point to start up.

best is buy resale DVC home at $60 - 80 points

know one what will happen at the end year.?

go to Disney vacation web site

http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/index

If you think of buy from Disney Please PM me.
    some time member get gift.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9