Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Haunted Mansion refurb to disappoint

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Have you ridden Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain at the MK lately???
    ha not to mention peter pan and splash mountain.

• Banned User

I would call this HM refurbishing a consumate thriumph if we only got the walking books in the Library set and the stretching face portrait in the hallway leading to Leota's room we have at TDL's HM. Honestly, I am not expecting much, which makes me long for a trip to DL soon.

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    Where do you think they keep their money?

In any event, at least the ride will be getting a tech upgrade. I hear that MK's mansion is so far behind in technology they are still using tapes and reels instead of DVDs and hard drives for some of their projection effects like the Singing Busts.
    And ancient computer chips for the sound in DACS.

I don't know if you (all of MiceChat) understand that the tunnels underneath the Magic Kingdom, as well as DACS, all prohibit the upgrading and enhancement of the park unless mucho money is spent. DACS is the Digital Animation Control System, a place where every movement, and every sound, is stored on chips. Each chip only stores 16 seconds of audio, and they're about as big as, well, you could fit two into a DVD case if the DVD cases didn't have the thing to put the DVD in inside. You get the idea. They also store data for the movement of the animatronics. The problem with DACS is that it is all centralized. Everything is in one big room under Liberty Square. If you blew up DACS, every attraction built before Splash Mountain would be dead. Everything is linked to that stupid thing.

And then there are the tunnels. A fantastic idea, not having to worry about seeing cowboys in Tomorrowland. And if you want to tear a ride out or upgrade it, you have to worry about not collapsing the Magic Kingdom. And building a moat on the roof of a building isn't the best of ideas. It prohibits new attractions from being built, which is kinda sad.

So as far as the Haunted Mansion goes, it needs all the help it can get. These technical upgrades are probably upwards of a few million dollars alone, simply because it's all linked to DACS as it is. But if you're gonna spend the money, why not spend a little more and do it right. And have the attraction exit into a giftshop if need be to get a return on the investment. We have cameras above the mirrors, maybe a Mansion On-Ride-Photo would get some money pouring in. I know I'd buy one if there was a ghost in a Doombuggy with me! Though, if they don't upgrade the queue, I just may not buy anything, because I can tell when you're just out to make a cheap buck, and when you seriously need to get your ROI. Adding a store to the exit doesn't cut it. Upgrading the entire attraction with new effects and props, and a well themed giftshop would be fantastic!

• Progressive Disneylander

It really is sad how few dollars Disney invests into the Magic Kingdom.

Over the last many years, they haven't built a single new attraction without replacing an older one. It's all about keeping costs as low as possible. Losing Mr. Toad to Winnie The Pooh was a cost-cutting crime!

It also seems unfair how Disneyland park has continued to improve their existing classic attractions while they barely touching the ones in Orlando.

IMO, Disney knows that they have a guaranteed steady flow of people going into the Magic Kingdom each and every day/month/year so they feel that investing money into that park is wasteful.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well...as long as people shrug their shoulders and say "whatever", I can garranty nothing will be done to improve things at WDW, and remember... ticket prices will probably go up again before the end of this year... How long are you willing to continue visiting WDW before it's obvious you are not getting the quality you deserve for the money paid to enjoy the resort??
    For some of us, that day has already came and went.

And speeking for myself, that day was the day I also found out about the production value of TDR's live entertainment when I finally saw a video of D-Pop Magic.

• Banned User

....and D-Pop Magic was one of the cheaper shows there at TDL.

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

One Man's Dream is better.

Blog Entries

Well...as long as people shrug their shoulders and say "whatever", I can garranty nothing will be done to improve things at WDW, and remember... ticket prices will probably go up again before the end of this year... How long are you willing to continue visiting WDW before it's obvious you are not getting the quality you deserve for the money paid to enjoy the resort??
    I agree, but unfortunately I don't have the ability to jetset across the world to see TDR or Disneyland. It's hard enough to find the few dollars to just make the 3 1/2 hour drive down to Orlando for us right now, add plane tickets into the mix and it just won't happen. So if I want any of my nostalgia my only option is Orlando. Were I wealthy you can bet I'd be hitting Disneyland and Tokyo Disney every chance I could get.

As for this upgrade I'll wait and see what they truly do. I don't need all new special effects (although the dancing instruments in the attic could really be replaced so they don't look like instruments on a stick anymore), I just want the whole thing in the best possible shape it can be. I don't care if all they do is just fix up all the old special effects, I just want them all working properly, with great sound, and everything as clean, as well, a haunted mansion should be.

• Another trip down I-4

I was so hoping we were going to get the full deal. More and more locals in the area are trying to get our voices heard (both to Disney and Universal) that if you don't keep stuff updated, we won't go. Unfortunately, so much of their money is generated by tourists that losing a few locals won't hurt them.

Spend less on advertising your dream packages, Disney, and spend more on making it a true dream when we get there!

• I miss those 4 trees!

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    It really is sad how few dollars Disney invests into the Magic Kingdom.

IMO, Disney knows that they have a guaranteed steady flow of people going into the Magic Kingdom each and every day/month/year so they feel that investing money into that park is wasteful.

This about sums up what I've felt for a long time now. People will always go to the MK ,so why make it better? It is making money regardless. It is like the prostitute with herpes and no teeth that everyone still loves. Okay...that is a graphic analogy. Actually PEOPLE STILL GO THERE BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO. When people come to the great WDW, they have no other choice. You can't go to WDW and not hit the original gate, right? And WDW will always pack in the crowds. Thereby insuring the MK's last place status.
    The MK won't get any love until attendance slacks off or we get someone in power that has a soft spot for the place. In the meantime, skip the Mk this year and hit Disneyland instead! I just came back from there and it was worth the extra money!! Spend your money where the love really is!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nigel Channing View Post
    Upgrading the entire attraction with new effects and props, and a well themed giftshop would be fantastic!
    Once upon a time there was a small gift shop though. Just down the hill from the entrance, it might have even been above the Keel Boats (that's another thread), there was a small gift shop that was themed to the HM with flickering chandeliers, CM's in HM costumes and cobwebs and HM themed wallpaper. It sold postcards of the HM as well as some other items. I remember buying postcards of the HM there so clearly. What is it now? Or is it just closed like so many other places and things?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    Spend less on advertising your dream packages, Disney, and spend more on making it a true dream when we get there!
    Great comment!

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by I like the old hub View Post
    The MK won't get any love until attendance slacks off or we get someone in power that has a soft spot for the place. In the meantime, skip the Mk this year and hit Disneyland instead! I just came back from there and it was worth the extra money!! Spend your money where the love really is!
    I think WDW's management team knows this. That's why they actually spent money decking out their castle for DLR's 50th and half-baked editions that were mostly hit-or-miss. They wanted people to still go to MK even though the real party was over at DL during that year-long celebration.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

http://themeparks.about.com/od/disne...agineering.htm

Before our panties get all bunched up why don't we read this and see the WDI confirmation that WDW's HM will be getting some of the DL upgrades okay?

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    http://themeparks.about.com/od/disne...agineering.htm

Before our panties get all bunched up why don't we read this and see the WDI confirmation that WDW's HM will be getting some of the DL upgrades okay?
    Ummmm...maybe I'm just blind but I went to the link and didn't see anything about the Haunted Mansion. Help...
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast