• Minion

my very first disney world trip

i live in southern california and i have an AP to disneyland (which i use once a week) but this summer my disney dreams are coming true and i'm going to disney world for my high school graduation
    i will be getting the 5 day park hopper with my mom and dad . . .
    i am just wondering what are some things i have to do? . . . what are some things i can do without?

thanks everyone

• I was deleted.

Yes. I have done that park only a few times compared to Disneyland and here are my suggestions.

1) Eat someplace at MGM where they give you a meal ticket to get priority seating for Fantasmic. It is a good show. Different than DL's and much better when I last saw it that it was in the past. The place was packed so the priority seating helped. BDK also had a packed crowd for the show when he was there.
    2) Make sure you do the WDW exclusives such as The Great Movie Ride, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Mission Space, Journey Into Imagination, Mickey's Philarmagic (my favorite at the park!) and other wonderful attractions. I know you will want to go on others you love but if you want to make the most of the new location that is the best thing to do. As a DL AP you can always go on the clones like Star Tours, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Muppet 3D, etc. when you get home. But you might still want to check out the other versions of Pirates, Mansion, etc. if you like.
    3) I enjoy going to Epcot at night to get great sweets. My favorite area to do so is in France. Always fun.
    4) WISHES. I love that show. I loved it more than Believe (sorry). It is amazing.
    5) Do the Safari at AK. Do it in the morning before the animals "get far" or go away. Great experience
    6) See the Lion King show, Beauty and the Beast and Tarzan Rocks! if it is still there then.
    7) Feel free to avoid the Tiki Room: Under New Management. You might just think of it as a waste of time. Or if you like it, please forgive me for saying I dislike it.
    8) Ride Splash Mountain. It is a great version!
    9) Visit Bear Country. It isn't the Vacation Howdown you and I are familiar with but it was still nice to see them again!
    10) Go on the Carousel of Progress and visit the Hall of Presidents!

hmm.. I will stick with 10 for now and let you know if I think of more. I'm sure others will have their say too. How long until your trip?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Aniko~*~
    i live in southern california and i have an AP to disneyland (which i use once a week) but this summer my disney dreams are coming true and i'm going to disney world for my high school graduation
    i will be getting the 5 day park hopper with my mom and dad . . .
    i am just wondering what are some things i have to do? . . . what are some things i can do without?

thanks everyone
    Congrats on your graduation! I'm graduating this year, too and I'm going with a couple friends July 20-26. I can't wait.

I can't wait for Mission:Space and the WDW version of the Haunted Mansion. And I want to see the Carosel of Progress so bad because I don't remember it from when it was at Disneyland, that is if it was even there when I was alive- I cant remember the date they pulled the plug for the Carosel in California.

Anyway, have fun! And if you go before me be sure to let me know what you thought and what I should see and avoid. I'm a Disneyland purist, so I'm scared as to what is waiting over at the Magic Kingdom... I've heard the lack of intimacy, smaller-scale charm, and none of Walt's touch is a tough thing to get past when youve grown up with Disneyland Anaheim.

But I'm sure I'll have a blast- and I'm sure you will too!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

thank you guys so much . . .
    i'll let you know how it goes

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Oh let me see...

at MK:
    Carousel of Progress
    PeopleMover (known now as Tomorrowland Transit Authority)
    Timekeeper (if it's open)
    Wishes fireworks
    Mickey's Philharmagic

Epcot:
    Pretty much everything but especially:
    Mission: Space (just follow the instructions and you'll be fine)
    Test Track
    Spaceship Earth
    El Rio de Tiempo (River of Time) in Mexico (it's in the pyramid, to the left of the restaurant seating)
    The American Adventure
    get a crepe in France
    if you're there on a day Off Kilter is performing in Canada... go see them! Same goes for the British Invasion in England.

MGM:
    Tower of Terror (the FL version is FAR superior to the one at DCA)
    Rock & Rollercoaster
    Great Movie Ride
    Indy stunt show
    have lunch or dinner at the 50's Primetime Cafe

AK:
    Couldn't tell you.... never been there myself.

Overall... have fun!!!! And congrats! My cousin came down here for a week when she graduated high school last year. Wish I could've gotten a Disney trip when I graduated! Well... I did come down here (I was still living up north then) spring break 93(my first year of college) so..... Heh!

• Again! Again! Again!

Call ahead and make reservations at a couple of the restaurants. I highly suggest the dinner/show package at Disney/MGM Studios. It's like $22 but worth it. You get a really good dinner and then special seating for Fantasmic. We ate at Hollywood and Dine and it was good food. Buffet style. You need to get FastPasses for Rock N' Roller Coaster and Tower(also in the Studios).

As for EPCOT, plan to try and spend at least 2 days there. It's huge and lots to do. If you can get into the restaurant in Japan, it's really good!! Mission Space is awesome. Weirdest feeling EVER!!

Pay for the Extra Magic Hours if possible. It's the best to get on a lot of the E-ticket rides. This is especially good for Magic Kingdom. And while you're at MK, watch SpectroMagic parade at night!!! And definitely Mickey's Philharmagic. And Pooh is way better than ours.

Go to Animal Kingdom and see the Festival of the Lion King. It's great! The Dinosaur ride is pretty fun too. And if you didn't see him while he was here, check the times to see Lucky the Dinosaur. He's so cool!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Again! Again! Again!

And for old times sake, don't miss out on Country Bear Jamboree. Funny funny funny!!

Also, Illuminations at EPCOT is wonderful.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Been there-Doing it again

Good advice so far I'll add "Illuminations" in the evening at Epcot. It's a fireworks/laser/light show. I find it both moving and spectacular. You can get a good view from anywhere on the World Showcase. We like to stake out a spot early (early depends on when you go) so we can sit on the pavement and watch the show from up front rather than standing.

• Junior Senior

I'm bumping this because my boyfriend and I are considering what will be my first WDW trip and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the money. My summer job pays well, but it's still a couple hundred dollars...sell it to me! What can I see there that makes it better than a few days in New York City? I'm a DL junkie but I've never taken too much interest in that "other" US park...now I'm regretting it!

• Don't Panic

the only advice ill give is to go with an open mind. dont go expecting Disneyland and then be disappointed when it isn't exactly like it. dont go and look for flaws. they are both very different pictures colored with the same crayons (bad analogy, but its all i got)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries
    Aniko - It's getting pretty close to July, so keep in mind that the weather can be waaaaaaay miserable! If you are staying at a Disney Hotel, definitely try to get the early access into the park. I think they do a different park each day. You can actually get alot of stuff done in that first hour before the weather gets too hot and nasty. I would also suggest reservations for dinner, and not to try to cram too much into one day. If you are in Epcot, it might be worth a stroll over to the Yacht club for ice cream at Beaches and Cream. (Yum) Expect to pay $$$ for the nicer restaurants in each park. Illuminations was extremely cool in Epcot, as well as Mission Space. The busses were a drag, and if you are not out in the pick up area at the crack of dawn, they might be full. Bring lots of fans, water and patience...and pace yourselves!
    Have a great time!

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by xerotheory142
    the only advice ill give is to go with an open mind. dont go expecting Disneyland and then be disappointed when it isn't exactly like it. dont go and look for flaws. they are both very different pictures colored with the same crayons (bad analogy, but its all i got)
    I thought it was a good analogy. The first time I went to MK I was lost and confused... HM is were BTMRR should be, SM is where HM should be, and BTMRR is where SM should be. Then none of the "short cuts" between the lands where there. Lost.....
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• The one, the only...

First, you should know that you cannot do everything in 5 days, so you will have to come back!

Second, I would get a guide book and look through your options. The first trip I to WDW, I had my whole family with us. No one had investigated what to do. I remember one night not having anything to do but no one knew what to do. DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE! There is always something to do at WDW.

Third, I would plan out your trip in advance. You will be better able to fit in all the wonderful suggestions you will receive here on MiceChat and anything you see in the guide book.

Fourth, make your dining reservations ahead of time. So much time is wasted waiting for tables if you don't.

Lastly, have fun. Take pictures. Tell us what you liked. Tell us what you missed and hope to see the next time!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Don't forget the not to be missed water parks, amung the best in the world. IMO typhoon lagon is better than blizzard beach if you only have time for one. it's theaming is stronger and you feel more inclosed in the park.