• golly gawrrsh

I think we're going to buy into DVC

Well we got all our questions answered last night - mostly questions about how it works being Canadian.

I think we're going to buy AKL. 160 points for now and see over the next few years if we need more or can live with 160
    This is a big step but we go down every other year and sometimes every single year

i think what helped us make up our minds was when we did the math and even if we renewed an ap every year and didn't use it next year it is still cheaper then getting a new one every 2 years or buying a 10 day park pass then a 2 day park pass since we have always gone for 10 - 12 days and never less. We drive down so we make it worth our while and stay as long as we can.

Right now we have 1 child who is only 17 months old so staying in a Studio for the next 8-10 years works for us and should we need a 1 or 2 bedroom later who knows we may have bought 50 - 100 more points by then.
    i love that it's not your typical time share because i like the idea of one year going to VT instead or Hilton Head for a week on our way down to visit Patrick's aunt and uncle and nip in for 2-3 days at "Home"

not that it makes any difference but I was a bit surprised to find out there will be a $350 us fee on closing which adds over $400 CDN but at least we know it before we sign.

What i really like is that we can bank our points from this year, use them next year, bank next years points and use them with 2009 and take my parents on a cruise for their 50th anniversary.

i guess we just have to wait for our DVC contact to come back later this week to get the process started.

oh how exciting
    șoș Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
    We'll let you decided who types what șoș

Re: I think we're going to buy into DVC

Welcome Home and welcome to the family.
    c:/eyore_moon.jpg

Good for you! I wish you the best experiences possible!

• Feeling LOVED

Quote Originally Posted by WFoxx View Post
    Welcome Home and welcome to the family.
    My thoughts exactly. You will love it. We bought our DVC last year and when we heard about the AKL we had to buy more points. We are soooo looking forward to AKL, the plans look fantastic. Enjoy
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• SpitSpot!

Quote Originally Posted by cooknthyme View Post
    Well we got all our questions answered last night - mostly questions about how it works being Canadian.

I think we're going to buy AKL. 160 points for now and see over the next few years if we need more or can live with 160
    This is a big step but we go down every other year and sometimes every single year

i think what helped us make up our minds was when we did the math and even if we renewed an ap every year and didn't use it next year it is still cheaper then getting a new one every 2 years or buying a 10 day park pass then a 2 day park pass since we have always gone for 10 - 12 days and never less. We drive down so we make it worth our while and stay as long as we can.

Right now we have 1 child who is only 17 months old so staying in a Studio for the next 8-10 years works for us and should we need a 1 or 2 bedroom later who knows we may have bought 50 - 100 more points by then.
    i love that it's not your typical time share because i like the idea of one year going to VT instead or Hilton Head for a week on our way down to visit Patrick's aunt and uncle and nip in for 2-3 days at "Home"

not that it makes any difference but I was a bit surprised to find out there will be a $350 us fee on closing which adds over $400 CDN but at least we know it before we sign.

What i really like is that we can bank our points from this year, use them next year, bank next years points and use them with 2009 and take my parents on a cruise for their 50th anniversary.

i guess we just have to wait for our DVC contact to come back later this week to get the process started.

oh how exciting
    Interesting. How are you able to buy into DVC? When I inquired about it, I was told that I could not due to Alberta's laws. It must be because you are from Ontario. I think it will be worth while if you use it every year. It would just make me happy knowing I was going back FOR SURE every year! Lucky you!!!!
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Why can't you tune a fish

Ya lost me on this part. How does the price of an AP factor into the DVC. The DVC gets you $20 off an initial AP and nothing off renewals. How is getting an AP and then renewing it, but only using it for one year cheaper than getting it, letting it expire, and then re-upping a year later ?

You sort of lost me here.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• DisneylandDan

Ohh I just applied and was approved. Im buying the AKL one with 200 points. They are running a special right now for Saratoga that you get an extra 200 points to bank this year if you sign up. I just want the AKL though, it will be my new home LOL. Have fun!

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

goofster again welcome home and to the DVC family.
    c:/eyore_moon.jpg

• golly gawrrsh

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Ya lost me on this part. How does the price of an AP factor into the DVC. The DVC gets you $20 off an initial AP and nothing off renewals. How is getting an AP and then renewing it, but only using it for one year cheaper than getting it, letting it expire, and then re-upping a year later ?

-dave
    ya i think i confused a lot of people the way i worded it. what i meant was - we did the math - we worked out how much we have been spending on resort stays in the past and what we expect to in the future based on this years rates. we have been staying longer and longer with each trip - we started with 7 days then 10 and last year 12. we have one child now with hopes for a second in a year or 2 so we would prob need a bigger room when the kids get older. so working that out it made since for us to buy the DVC since the room rates will not change. the ap is just an added bonus. we did the math there too and since there is no 12 or 14 day park pass we would have to buy a 10 day PLUS a 2 or 4 day depending on how long we stay. the ap is cheaper then buying 14 days and is also at a discount with the DVC so it's much cheaper.

I was under the impression that when you renew it didn't activate until you went down and activated it - i was told yesterday that is how it used to be but they've changed it now and it just carries on from your current ap

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post

-dave
    Not sure I understand either, but what we used to do is to get a WDW AP and then make sure we went two times, that is make reservations twice within the same year. For example we would go late June one year, then go early June the next year so that the AP was still valid, that way we only had to get an AP every two years and it was cheaper to go on two 10 - 12 day trips with the same AP than to get 10 - 12 day park hoppers for each visit.

Not sure if this is what they meant, however it proved to be a cost saver for us. This year, we went just before Christmas (the last time we were down duing the Christmas season was 1994) and we're going back in late July, so for the price of an AP we get 17 days.

BTW: cooknthyme, congratulations on your DVC!

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• golly gawrrsh

why are they giving away points at SS? are they trying to get ride of the memberships there?

• See you there!

why are they giving away points at SS? are they trying to get ride of the memberships there?
    I can only guess, but here are my guesses:

Saratoga Springs may not be as desiarble a location as other locations because...

1. It is further out than other locations. and maybe folks feel that it will take longet to get anywhere (just my guess)

2, Even back when the location was The Disney Institute, for some reason I don't believe it was as popular as they wanted. (Again, just my opinion, my observation, a guess, no hard evidence).

With those guesses in mind, maybe that is why they are having promotions involving Saratoga Springs. The resort looks outstanding from the outside.

Some folks really like SS, maybe you should try to connect with other SS members and get opinions from them.

Just MHO, YMMV,

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Why can't you tune a fish

I was under the impression that when you renew it didn't activate until you went down and activated it - i was told yesterday that is how it used to be but they've changed it now and it just carries on from your current ap

Yep. Just did mine. My expired Feb 15 or somewhere in there, I re-newed the beginning of March, and the expriation date is still Feb 15.

Oh, and thanks for clearing that up for me. LOL

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• DisneylandDan

SS is discounted to get rid of the remaining deeds there. Thanks for the welcome. Im going with the AKL because I want that to be home. How cool is that.

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

• The Picture Guy

If I were to buy a DVC, I would definitely buy the Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, that's my favorite resort (on par with Wilderness Lodge)
    I am the picture guy---A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.