Global Neighborhood

What happned to the Global Neighborhood Exhibit at the exit of Spaceship Earth. When I was there in August they had a big wall in front of it and it was dark. Did they decide to take it out? Or did they decide to fix it up? :confused:

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    AT & T no longer sponsors Spaceship Earth, so the Global Neighborhood is toast. It isnt coming back. I dont know what they've planned for the area.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    It's been gone for awhile. Current rumour is Nextel might pick up sponsorship. We'll see how that pans out. Plus rumours about the Time Racers post show are still floating around.

Nothing is planned for the area. What was once the vibrant Earth Station then the Global Neighborhood has now been changed to reflect a future bereft of anything other than darkness and plywood walls painted blue.

Disney won't spend a penny until it gets a sponsor. And for some odd reason, Disney hasn't had the best of luck in signing up new victi...I mean, sponsors of late.

• A Real Disney Attraction

This area is one of the most glaring examples of what is currently wrong with Disney decision makers.

I thought the post-show was bad over the last two years; but that was nothing compared to what I saw last winter. After seeing the Earth from space you are then led down narrow paths dwarfed by blue wood. Wow, how inspirational.

And people say Disney can't tell a story anymore. Well at least we have Pal Mickey and Destination Disney.
    -Mike

^^^Mike you're forgetting about pintrading, plush, character meals and timeshares. That's what Walt dreamed about when he was watching his daughters from a bench!

HA! Yeah, I'm sure Walt envisioned a place where he could separate junior - into a day care center - from mommy and daddy, so mommy and daddy could take out a second mortgage on their house to "own a little piece of the magic" Afterwards junior rejoins mommy & daddy for complementary ice cream.

Sounds like the perfect 1950's vision of the future. You know right there next to maglev trains.
    -Mike

I know you're a DVCer, Mike, but I get sick to my stomach when watching resort TV at WDW and they use that clip of why Wakt built DL to shill for DVC ownership.

I can't say, nor can anyone not related to the man, what Walt would do now, but I think I'm pretty safe in saying he didn't envision WDW as the Timeshare Kingdom of the World!

I think it's safe to say what he wanted. It's on film. He didn't want anyone to own an inch of his land down there. No property rights that extended beyond a tenant. So I guess in a weird way an aspect of it was fulfilled, but the timeshare component directly goes against his objective.

I believe according to "Married to the Mouse" he also didn't want residents who were non-working retired people or people who would use Lake Buena Vista as a Second Home. I understand why DVC exists in 2005, but like EPCOT Center, Pleasure Island, Celebration, or the Team Disney Orlando building, they are all things that are vastly different from what was envisioned in Walt's master plan. Disney tries to spin it, but there really is no hiding it with all of the documented statements in print and film.

That doesn't mean I believe Walt's master plan was flawless either, I'm just sick of this whole "fulfilling Walt's dream" junk.
    -Mike