Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Any news on removing the Wand at epcot?

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Yeah no kidding but doing it during the HIGH SEASON is a bit stupid. They should do things during the "off" or "value" seasons. If I were going to WDW during an "off" season, I wouldn't be so upset, I'd understand. But we also know that WDW executives generally have **** for brains too.

That may be true, but I am here everyday, and I can tell you that there is no "off" season anymore. The High and Value seasons are only terms that the hotels use to set rates, they have nothing to do with the park attendance. The terms high and value seasons are terms that the hotel industry uses to differentiate what are typical vacation "seasons" which helps set the rates. These "seasons are more regionally based and not just a Disney thing.

As far as the hotels go, yes there are seasons, it may be busier in the summer because there are more out of town vacationers in the Orlando area. But also remember that during the "value" season, Florida residents, Seasonal Passholders, Conventions, Cast Members, etc are also now opened up into the mix of guests into the park whereas during teh summer their tickets may have een blocked. In those "value seasons" Disney hosts more convention groups than they do in teh summer months, many times those convention guests are in the parks as well. Therefore even though the hotels themselves may have a "season" Attendance in the parks is very busy and no longer defined by a particular season anymore. Sure there may be slow days here and there, but that is now few and far between.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by naumoney View Post
    I heard it from a SSE cast member. Also confirmed the timeline of opening the post show and the rehab. In addition to the wand coming down, the neighborhood of vignettes is coming out and he said something about touch-screens in every seat. (I don't know why.)
    For some reason, WDI thinks that touch screens are a good idea in each ride vehicle. Although light emmision may be a very small problem, the screens would distract guests away from the ride itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

So when is the new post-show going to finally be open?

Yeah no kidding but doing it during the HIGH SEASON is a bit stupid. They should do things during the "off" or "value" seasons. If I were going to WDW during an "off" season, I wouldn't be so upset, I'd understand. But we also know that WDW executives generally have **** for brains too.

P.S. Saying there is no "off" season anymore is a cop out for them. If there was no "off" season anymore, there wouldn't be any "value" season rates at the resorts.
    The only reason why it would still make sense to close attractions for refurb over the "off" season is if Disney intends to lower the cost of admission during that period. If they do not, then there is absolutely no reason to limit all refurbs to that period of time. People have a choice as to when they visit Disney, depending on that choice, certain attractions will be closed. If Disney intended on closing every attraction at the same time for refurb, the parks would be a graveyard. There are plenty of great attractions that will remain open during the refurbs of HM and SSE.

Also, it is Disney's goal to eliminate the concept of an "off" season all together. This is evident in the addition of special events and diverse offerings on what were once slow periods. One such event that comes to mind is the WDW marathon, placed strategically after the holiday season to entice people to stick around. Also, every year the holiday season itself becomes lengthened more and more, per guest survey and request. From a business standpoint, if you are attempting to create a new market period, you would try your best to keep as many attractions open as possible, instead of refurbing all of your attractions simultaneously.

IMHO, I don't care when they do their refurbs. I'm less likely to travel to Disney in the summer anyway, mostly because of the heat and the crowds, so by all means, refurb away!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    The only reason why it would still make sense to close attractions for refurb over the "off" season is if Disney intends to lower the cost of admission during that period. If they do not, then there is absolutely no reason to limit all refurbs to that period of time. People have a choice as to when they visit Disney, depending on that choice, certain attractions will be closed. If Disney intended on closing every attraction at the same time for refurb, the parks would be a graveyard. There are plenty of great attractions that will remain open during the refurbs of HM and SSE.

Also, it is Disney's goal to eliminate the concept of an "off" season all together. This is evident in the addition of special events and diverse offerings on what were once slow periods. One such event that comes to mind is the WDW marathon, placed strategically after the holiday season to entice people to stick around. Also, every year the holiday season itself becomes lengthened more and more, per guest survey and request. From a business standpoint, if you are attempting to create a new market period, you would try your best to keep as many attractions open as possible, instead of refurbing all of your attractions simultaneously.

IMHO, I don't care when they do their refurbs. I'm less likely to travel to Disney in the summer anyway, mostly because of the heat and the crowds, so by all means, refurb away!
    There should be certain times of the year when nothing is closed.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

There should be certain times of the year when nothing is closed.
    Exactly, it used to be that you had two choices when it came to going to WDW:

Value/Off season: Cheap prices, low crowds, low hours, expect a lot of refurbs
    Peak Season: Expensive, high crowds, late hours, no refurbs

Choosing to close two huge high capacity rides at their two busiest parks is freaking insane. For one thing people like me who have delt with the crowds and more $$ are going to stop doing it. However the bigger problem is those once in a lifetime disney people, you see a vast majority of those people visit during the summer, and while they may not realize the quality rides they are missing they are going to notice two things: a lot of walls, and how crowded it is, because when you remove a ride like SE at a time where you expect to be at or near capacity most days there is no where else for those people to go, and more crowds=more line=more angry people=more of those average joes going back from their vacation complaing about how much it sucked. You can rail about how things need to be updated, and most of the time I would agree with you but that ride should be in refurb now, and there is no reason a 3 month refurb should ever be scheduled during the busiest 3 months of the year. Its bad business.

Blog Entries

There are so many attractions that are currently in need of a refurb that if they ever plan on getting them all done without it taking 10 years to get them all done they'll need to be closed down during the summer. The fact is the entire ride portion of SSE needs a major overhaul. I just rode it for the first time in a while yesterday and it seemed in even worse shape than before. (I'm referring to the ride system, not so much the scenes). It just feels like the rides going to break at any moment and the constant bumping, grinding, staticky speakers, and noisy ride system just makes the ride not enjoyable at all.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

^If they have backed themselves into a corner like that then they need to prioritize better (for instance the Mexico ride closed during the summer would have had a much smaller impact) and they better either step up other areas (more shows, characters, even longer hours) or give some give something to peak guests (maybe value pricing since we are getting all the negatives of going during peak with half the perks, free drinks, etc) because I frankly feel like Im about to be cheated about the trip (which is set in stone at this point) and I know Im not the only one if they dont do something.

• Newbie.

I heard that in exchange for keeping Walt Disney's office, they're gifting the wand to Disneyland, to be mounted to the Matterhorn. :P

Not really. (Just when is Walt's office coming back again???)
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Were you there?

The touch screens will allow riders to choose the language for the narration at the beginning of the ride. They will be dark during the main ride, but will activate to ask you "questions" on your ride back down.

BT
    22 is NOT my age (unfortunately)...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by btwnguy_22 View Post
    The touch screens will allow riders to choose the language for the narration at the beginning of the ride. They will be dark during the main ride, but will activate to ask you "questions" on your ride back down.

BT
    what about a certain ending song?? will it come back remixed?

after all, it does get boring looking at black curtains

I don't know if this has been posted because I can't get to the 2nd page of this thread, but about the wand from what I heard. Siemens told Disney that they didn't want the wand on Spaceship Earth and the only way they would allow it to remain was if it said Siemens on it instead of Epcot. Also during the refurbishment I heard that the whole show from the two children talking over the computers to the end will be completely changed. I have also heard that the song will not be returning, but maybe that can change.

Disneymanforever does your information come from credible sources?
    Last edited by asdfasdfa; 03-26-2007 at 12:00 AM.

• Beware of Mutant Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMan4Ever View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted because I can't get to the 2nd page of this thread, but about the wand from what I heard. Siemens told Disney that they didn't want the wand on Spaceship Earth and the only way they would allow it to remain was if it said Siemens on it instead of Epcot. Also during the refurbishment I heard that the whole show from the two children talking over the computers to the end will be completely changed. I have also heard that the song will not be returning, but maybe that can change.
    I heard the same thing from a SSE CM who claimed to have heard it directly from WDI when they were walking the ride. I am assuming that if this is true, Siemens knew what choice was going to be made. I hope it is true, how freaking cool would it be if sponsors were actually pushing Disney to do the right thing!

Best hold on to Your Hats and Glasses, 'cause this heres the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

• Banned User

since the sponsors spend lots of money for these attractions, disney tends to listen to what they want. if AT&T hadn't been in such financial straps at the time they would have had the wand down ages ago because the talk at the time the wand was put up was that is was supposed to be temporary only for the millenium and then at&t was supposed to help pay part of taking it down. however things didn't work out that way and they instead told disney they weren't going to put any more money into the attraction and they weren't going to renew sponsorship. oh and btw I know this because I have family that worked for AT&T in a high level of management at the time and he told me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast