View Poll Results: Would you enjoy a restaurant like this if each country pavilion at Epcot had one?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 54.55%
  • No

5 22.73%
  • meh...

5 22.73%

• back in Austin

Poll: restaurant concept for Epcot

OK, folks, here's another of my ideas, and YOU get to decide if it's any good.

First a little back-story. I've been blessed with the opportunity to spend several summers (5 weeks at a time) in Spoleto, Italy, playing in a music festival there. As you can imagine, one of the wonderful things about being there is the food. You may or may not be aware of this, but food varies a lot from region to region within a country like Italy. Each region's cuisine depends greatly on the ingredients that are available locally. In Spoleto, for example, there are truffles which are harvested locally that show up in various dishes. Also, the olive oil and tomatoes give local dishes a flavor that I've never experienced in an American "Italian" restaurant.

Another thing that makes the dining experience there unique is that the menu is structured differently. You pay a cover charge up front ("pan e coperto"), and dishes are organized into sections like Primi Piati ("first course"), Secondi Piati ("second course"), Formaggi (cheeses) and Dolci (sweets). The primi piati are typically pastas and risotto dishes, while the secondi are meats. You don't order one combined plate with say, steak and mashed potatoes and green beans all in one place.

I've always fantasized about how insanely I would enjoy walking into an Italian restaurant here in the states that was EXACTLY like walking into one in Italy (short of needing Lira or Euros), i.e. with NO attempt made to cater to American tastes or expectations. What I mean is, the waiters don't speak English, or at the very most only a smattering of it. The items on the menu are organized exactly like they would be on a normal, Italian menu and are presented in Italian only. You don't get tap water unless you ask for it, and it doesn't have ice in it. BUT, you do get authentic recipes and ingredients from ONE PARTICULAR PLACE in Italy (in this case, I'm thinking of Spoleto) so that it's like you're really there.

Thing is, if done right, and the decor were authentic, it would be (for me at least) a hilariously fun adventure to eat there! It would be like going to Italy without having to get on a plane and you'd have to bring a phrase book just to order dinner! But then you'd get to eat lentil soup from an edible bowl like you can at Il Pentagramma in Spoleto. Or fresh agnolotti that's to die for like they serve at Trattoria Pecchiarda.

There's a reason you don't see restaurants like this here in the states. People don't want the hassle, they want things the way they're used to, and they certainly don't want to feel like a foreigner in their own country. Or would they, maybe? Thing is, there are some people like me who would really enjoy the fresh air. Think of it as a truly themed dining experience.

SO HERE'S MY QUESTION FOR YOU: Would you enjoy a restaurant like this if each country pavilion at Epcot had one? For me it would be like the inner sanctum of each country, the place where the hard-core virtual travellers would go.
    Last edited by RenMan; 03-26-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling of "agnolotti" =)

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Poll: restaurant concept for Epcot

I personally would get a kick out of it, but I think you'd have a hard time selling the average consumer on the idea. It would suck up a lot of your marketing dollar up front just educating the public on what to expect. Otherwise, you end up with unhappy customers who just think their waiter is an idiot to not put ice in the water.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• back in Austin

yeah, the communication about what's going on would have to be very "in your face" or there would be a lot of complaints!

• Banned User

I don't frequent the EPCOT restaurants that often because they are overly priced tourist traps. I am yet to enjoy a truly outstanding meal at any of them... and If I wanted to enjoy an idea like the one you experienced abroad.. I would prefer to go abroad and do it the way it's intended to be done. On location. So I don't necesarily would visit this type of experience at EPCOT. But if it pleases you, then more power to you.

• Why can't you tune a fish

The needing a phrase book to order part does not work for me. You allready have guests from other countries on site who are expecting English, and now have a further curve ball thrown at them. Everything else sounds fine, but you would have to have some sort of "educational" material for the guests so they know what to expect, but then thats part of EPCOT supposedly, learning.

So what else is on tap for other countries. Lutfisk in Norway at a church dinner? Sweetbreads and brains at Germany? Live "stuff" cooked to order from a street stall in China? Chutney sandwiches in plastic boxes in England, or a big steaming bowl of Menudo from Mexico.

Well I would like it

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

Unfortunately, what you described is illegal in the state of Florida. (All written materials MUST be in English, but can be in other languages as well.) So your menu must be in English and Italian.

Second, most Americans would enjoy Italian food, but were you to do this in another country in World Showcase, some of the food choices (Raw squid comes to mind) might not cater to the audience. I believe you must somewhat cater to the audience in order to be successful.

Americans are more alike the French then we think. The French didn't want an American Disneyland in France, they wanted a French Disneyland in France. And we don't want an Italian Italy in Epcot, we want an American Italy in Epcot. (At least food wise.)

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nigel Channing View Post
    Unfortunately, what you described is illegal in the state of Florida. (All written materials MUST be in English, but can be in other languages as well.)
    yikes! Can anyone confirm this? I didn't even think about the concept of legality. I wonder how many states have such laws on the books?

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    ... and If I wanted to enjoy an idea like the one you experienced abroad.. I would prefer to go abroad and do it the way it's intended to be done. On location.
    What is the point of all the theming of world showcase if it's not to make you feel like you're visiting the country represented?

• May the F=ma be with you

I would love to have an authentic Italian restaurant in EPCOT. Although it would not be as authentic as I can have, it would be close.
    The problem with this is that many Americans are not ready for authentic cuisine from a foreign nation. Another problem would be that there really is no authentic Italian cuisine. It is a variety of ingredients put together from the 20 regions of Italy. It would be very difficult to produce one or two dishes representing each region. The only way to solve this problem would be to produce at least one dish from each region. This poses a problem that many people are not willing to try dishes like Agnello al Forno, Pollo con Funghi Misti, or even Spaghetti alle Vongolle. Americans generally tend to order much more familiar things such as Lasagna or Pasta con salsa dall' Alfredo.
    It would certainly work for me or for any person somewhat familiar with these dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    It would be very difficult to produce one or two dishes representing each region.
    Re-read my original post. My concept is to "get authentic recipes and ingredients from ONE PARTICULAR PLACE in Italy (in this case, I'm thinking of Spoleto) so that it's like you're really there." That's the point. You don't even try to pretend there's one "Italian" food.

And obviously, if certain people can't enjoy being adventuresome in their dining, they wouldn't like this restaurant AT ALL, because it would make no effort to come to where they are. That's why I put up the poll. A lot of people wouldn't like the concept. I'm seeing how many. WDW Monorail, you sound like someone who would get into it.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

i LOVE the idea, but i think it would be best suited outside of EPCOT....tourists are finnciky....you know that, but the concept is definately a great idea...id go !!

• Banned User

What's the difference between "No" and "Meh..."????

• back in Austin

^ haha! "meh" = indifferent = don't love it, don't hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post
    i LOVE the idea, but i think it would be best suited outside of EPCOT....tourists are finnciky....you know that, but the concept is definately a great idea...id go !!
    That thought ocurred to me. In fact, the idea first ocurred to me as a stand-alone restaurant concept having nothing to do with a theme park. In that case, it would either thrive via word-of-mouth as a trendy, fun restaurant to visit or it would flop miserably.

Wherever it got implemented, I'm thinking the best way to handle it is to have an outer courtyard where English is still spoken and the concept is made very clear. There might also be cheat sheets in the form of little prepared phrase books that would help someone order at this particular restaurant. Then you would pass into an inner courtyard where the immersion is complete.