• Fastpass Hater

Any Information on Soundstage Restaurant?

Does anyone have any pictures or other info on the Soundstage Restaurant and Catwalk Bar that opened at the beginning of MGM? I was never in it during any of its different theming, but I understood it started as sets of the Plaza Hotel from the movie Big Business. I can barely find anything on the internet about it. How long was it there as the Plaza?

• She was sweet as a peach

Re: Any Information on Soundstage Restaurant?

I thought the soundstage Restaurant had an Aladdin theme at one point (1992). I don't know if we have any pictures.

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

Aladdin's Lamp was there... the entire place connected to the Hollywood Brown Derby. And it was really pretty darn cool in there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

It was also themed to Beauty and the Beast.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

It had a bit of a revolving theme with the latest and greatest films. I had a CB there just after Hunchback had come out. I have never seen any pics of the bar though.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

I was there in '93 and it was still primarily the Plaza Hotel set from Big Business. If I remember correctly, the set was fragmented as if it had been "struck" and there were set pieces and props from other productions lying about. When I read a description of the restaurant in a guidebook, I imagined that it would be like eating in the lobby of the Plaza. It wasn't. It wasn't as though you were eating on a hot set but instead behind the scenes. There were sandbags on ropes and lighting control boards and that sort of thing hanging about. Not completely appetizing. Just kind of odd. And I remember that a lot of people would walk in, look around and leave. It was strange to be in a restaurant where people came in, loitered a bit around diners and then left. I kind of sort of almost remember seeing a giant Aladdin's Lamp near the entrance. I think I ate a blah plate of spaghetti there. I remember preferring the sunny Backlot Express, which at the time was lightly themed as a prop warehouse (not sure if it still is).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zuulrules View Post
    I remember preferring the sunny Backlot Express, which at the time was lightly themed as a prop warehouse (not sure if it still is).
    Still there, still themed, and still one of my favorites.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Fastpass Hater

Quote Originally Posted by zuulrules View Post
    I was there in '93 and it was still primarily the Plaza Hotel set from Big Business. If I remember correctly, the set was fragmented as if it had been "struck" and there were set pieces and props from other productions lying about. When I read a description of the restaurant in a guidebook, I imagined that it would be like eating in the lobby of the Plaza. It wasn't.
    Exactly what I was wondering. This is one of the things I hate about MGM, making everything like a "set" lets them skimp on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Still there, still themed, and still one of my favorites.
    Yeah, but missing the amazing 20-item topping bars for your burgers and sandwiches that it had in the early 90s.

Oh, and the Soundstage got its start as a food court type of place (yes, themed to sets from Big Business) ... there were three stands ... one was pizza, one sandwiches and one salads etc ...

Sometime -- maybe 3-4 years after opening -- the place was themed to Aladdin and hosted some early incarnations of character meals ... but as soon as Playhouse Disney moved in, the Catwalk Bar (a very kewl place for a drink) went to YesterdayLand.

• "There's always my way"

I don't like Playhouse Disney. I think that should go to the chopping board along with voyage of the little mermaid. I havent been to Soundstage in years since it was themed to Beauty and the Beast. I miss a lot from the old MGM, like the Aladdin parade.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT1982 View Post
    I don't like Playhouse Disney.
    Is that because maybe you don't have kids nor have anyone (because of age) that enjoys the characters?