Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Double the Illuminations, Double the Fun!

I usually agree with what my friend, TDLFAN, has to say. But this is one case where we diverge. Maybe because he's a local and I'm someone who's a few hundred miles away.

But I think EMH's -- at least the new incarnation with night hours -- are a great perq for staying at a WDW resort (or Swan/Dolphin/Hilton).

That said, much like the horrible E-Ride nights at the MK, I do have issues when the EXTRA magic really isn't or shouldn't be.

The MK would regularly close at midnight at this time of year and it still does. So allowing resort guest night owls to stay until 3 a.m. is a great incentive.

DAK would normally close at 8 p.m. this time of year. So resort guests get to stay until 11.

What's wrong there?

Nothing. Day/off-site/local visitors aren't getting screwed. And those paying to stay on-site are getting something extra.

Where I agree with TDLFAN is with parks like Epcot and MGM, which in the past would also be open until 11 or midnight this time of year. They close much earlier for everyone ... and then resort guests get 1 night (or two this busy time) to stay an extra three hours. Clearly, anyone not staying on property is getting less than what used to be included. And even on-site guests are getting less.

And during other times, the disparity can be worse.

So I guess it just depends on what park you're visiting and when ... sometimes it is definitely not gaining something extra, just something that was taken away years ago in one of the many waves of cutbacks.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    My roomate works in fireworks at Disney and works on Illuminations, and yes it can be done. It has been done before and tested.
    It may have been tested before but with the current RoE barge and launcher configuration, I am pretty sure that it cannot be done. Each barge would have to be modified to accomodate the extra tubes. I do not believe that there are any non-used tubes on any of the barges. Afterall, why are the NYE shows loaded out on the water if there is enough capacity to have 2 shows? It is possible that if any launchers are not used, they can be loaded for the next show. This is the reason why the WWIII barge is used as well as 4 more barges behind each Maxi barge.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

They did a load on the water. Sea Wall Shells were not present though. And the Inferno looked a little "reduced" but the difference was barely noticable. Was it successful? Sure. Worth the almost 30 grand it costs to put on the show? Maybe. Depends how much was made.

• Circle of Ancients

We didn't really use the night-time EMH too much last year. The only parks we did was MK on Sunday night and Epcot on Friday.

Why??? Because we found by getting to the park in the morning at opening with everybody else, we could get more done in the first 2 hours than we could at Epcot. This is one of the reasons we ALWAYS get to DL for opening, we hate the crowds.

For us, the morning EMH is what we use most. And this doesn't really effect non-property guests as much except for the fact that park might be busier that day. Easily avoidable if you do a little research before your trip.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234