Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Going for the 1st time. Question about lodging

we are planning, haven't booked yet, a trip for November. Looking at the Port of Orleans Riverside. What can you all tell me about that resort? How long will it take to get to Epcot and MK from this hotel...and do we go by bus or is the monorail near?

I am clueless.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Going for the 1st time. Question about lodging

The monorail runs between three resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian), the Magic Kingdom, Transportation and Ticket Center, and EPCOT Center via a second line.

Everything else is connected by bus, and the average trip time is about 20 minutes between areas of the resort. Buses are supposed to arrive about every 20 minutes. Port Orleans is in the Downtown Disney Resort Area, so it is not next to any of the parks.

You should really plan on seeing more than the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center. Animal Kingdom, in my opinion, is simply stunning, by far the best park at Walt Disney World.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4thefirsttime View Post
    we are planning, haven't booked yet, a trip for November. Looking at the Port of Orleans Riverside. What can you all tell me about that resort? How long will it take to get to Epcot and MK from this hotel...and do we go by bus or is the monorail near?

I am clueless.
    PO-R is all busses. However you are the second set of stops returning and the last set outbound. Busses will stop at POFQ first.

This means that in the AM the outbound busses may have people on them when they get to your resort, and in the evening you have to take a slightly longer trip, and the French get dropped off first.

However, having said that, I stayed at POR in October and had no problems with busses. There is also a boat from POR (and POFQ) that goes to Downtown Disney.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Sock Puppet

Talking Re: Going for the 1st time. Question about lodging

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The monorail runs between three resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian), the Magic Kingdom, Transportation and Ticket Center, and EPCOT Center via a second line.

Everything else is connected by bus, and the average trip time is about 20 minutes between areas of the resort. Buses are supposed to arrive about every 20 minutes. Port Orleans is in the Downtown Disney Resort Area, so it is not next to any of the parks.

You should really plan on seeing more than the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center. Animal Kingdom, in my opinion, is simply stunning, by far the best park at Walt Disney World.

We will definitely be hitting the AK, I just figured we might be closer to Epcot and MK so I was just wondering how close we were. It's hard to tell...I'd love to see some aerial maps with the hotels pinpointed on them.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Google Earth has a lot of the big points of interest, including the hotels are marked. The resort is huge and you may want to use one of Disney's maps, which are not the most accurate, to help navigate. I'll look around and see what I can find.

• I am number 4 of 999

We will definitely be hitting the AK, I just figured we might be closer to Epcot and MK so I was just wondering how close we were. It's hard to tell...I'd love to see some aerial maps with the hotels pinpointed on them.
    Basically, nothing is close to the Magic Kingdom other than the Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian and the Wilderness Lodge. Where ever you stay, getting to the Magic Kingdom will take the longest if it isn't one of those properties. I agree with the Google Earth suggestion. They don't call it Disney WORLD for nothing. You wouldn't be able to see much if the arial shot included everything. With Google Earth, you could put in the resort's address and go from there.

Congrats on your first trip to WDW! Just got back from mine! If you can shell out the extra dough, stay at the Poly...I'll never stay anywhere else now! 2 quick tips:

1. Order the FREE maps from the My Vacation section of disneyworld.com...they send you big, customized (to attractions YOU choose) maps that, while not to scale, at least help you get accustomed to the area.

2. Order Kevin Yee's "The Unofficial Restaurant Guide to the WDW"...it's only !$10, it's travel-sized and it made all the difference on our trip. The book contains EVERY menu for EVERY restaurant at the parks, hotels and DD

Other than these and a few planned-ahead dining reservations, we experienced THE WORLD fairly spontaneously, figuring out the transportation, food, extra magic hours, etc. as we went along. Have the time of your life!

Heck, if you want to ride the Monorail at all, just do what we're going to do. We're coming in December and staying at the Caribbean Beach. When we want to go to the Magic Kingdom, we're going to take the bus to Epcot, then just transfer to the Monorail and travel from there. Let's face it, the Monorail is a much more fun way to travel than by bus, especially when on the busses, you might have to stand the whole time. We had to do that the first time we went when we stayed at the Beach Club. It isn't fun.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    Let's face it, the Monorail is a much more fun way to travel than by bus, especially when on the busses, you might have to stand the whole time.
    Yes, very true. But sometimes - especially when guests have strollers and don't collapse them you might find yourself standing or waiting for the next monorail unless you do stand or sneak your way in before the strollers.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    When we want to go to the Magic Kingdom, we're going to take the bus to Epcot, then just transfer to the Monorail and travel from there. Let's face it, the Monorail is a much more fun way to travel than by bus
    Exactly what I do. And of course you can't forget riding with the pilot.

• Disneyland Grandee

I am clueless.
    We've all been there planning our first trip.

Welcome to Micechat WDW4thefirsttime.
    Everyone here has great advice and are more than willing to share their vast knowledge. Don't be shy about asking anything you need to know! You'll have your answers in no time.

Great advice, InnerSpace riding the monorail from Epcot to the MK, we do the exact same thing.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee View Post
    We've all been there planning our first trip.

Welcome to Micechat WDW4thefirsttime.
    Everyone here has great advice and are more than willing to share their vast knowledge. Don't be shy about asking anything you need to know! You'll have your answers in no time.

Great advice, InnerSpace riding the monorail from Epcot to the MK, we do the exact same thing.

ditto !!

welcome to MiceChat !!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Sock Puppet

How funny that you mention riding the monorail. We were actually talking about that today. I think it would be much more fun than the bus.

I can't believe I have 8 months to wait. I am so excited that I want to leave this instant.

^^, Exactly. It's just nine months for us. We've only been twice before and I have to say, planning a Disney World trip is just as fun, especially choosing which you want to stay at (DON'T STAY AT THE GROVSNOR!!!! NO MATTER WHAT YOUR BUDGET), then deciding which days to go the different theme parks, making dinner reservations. No offense, I love living in California and getting to visit Disneyland all the time, but there's just something about Disney World that just excites me so much. I can't wait!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Everyone has pretty much answered your questions. I just wanted to provide you with some photos of the resort. I prefer the Magnolia Bend side of it with the old Southern Style mansions but Alligator Bayou appeals to others as well.

If you click on any of them you can see all the photos (and bigger versions) I took that weekend.

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast