Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Journey down the Rhine River???

I have to say I was surprised by the suggestion on Kevin's report that Germany at Epcot could get a new ride.

I love the idea of a boat ride. I agree with him that a boat ride is the right vehicle system because:

1) It allows a slower moving experience to give time to reveal a story. Because boats naturally move slowly, we are not disturbed by the pace. While if a car vehicle moves that same speed, we feel like something is wrong. That it should move faster.

2) In a hot environment, getting people close to water has a cooling, refreshing feel. It was one of Walt's secrets to great rides. Getting people close to water rejuvenates them.

3) There is something subconsciously thrilling about a boat ride. We ride in cars everyday, but how often do we ride in a boat? Also there is a hint at danger with a boat. So many people are kept in there boat at IASM even though it is only a few feet of water. Subconsciously we fear drowning and that fear provides a thrill.

BUT!

I have to say that Disney is missing the point on a ride about a boat trip down the Rhine river. WHAT IS FUN ABOUT THAT? Rides should be something that kids as well as adults love. No kid is going to get excited about a boat trip down the Rhine river. That might be an adult fantasy, but not a kid's.

NOW if Disney were to add some MAGIC! That would bring in the kids. Make the trip go back in time to the age of Knights and Princesses! I would love to see an enchanted forest. How about some fairies or unicorns? I think that the climax could be a right with a fire-breathing dragon, a duel to the death between a knight and a dragon (as in Sleeping Beauty)! Now that would draw kids! The exterior of the German pavilion sets the mode for castles and knights. Add a few drops down a water fall in the ride system and this could be the best ride in WS and maybe in Epcot!

What do you think? Are you looking forward to a ride down the Rhine or through an enchanted forest?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Re: Journey down the Rhine River???

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I have to say I was surprised by the suggestion on Kevin's report that Germany at Epcot could get a new ride.

I love the idea of a boat ride. I agree with him that a boat ride is the right vehicle system because:

1) It allows a slower moving experience to give time to reveal a story. Because boats naturally move slowly, we are not disturbed by the pace. While if a car vehicle moves that same speed, we feel like something is wrong. That it should move faster.

2) In a hot environment, getting people close to water has a cooling, refreshing feel. It was one of Walt's secrets to great rides. Getting people close to water rejuvenates them.

3) There is something subconsciously thrilling about a boat ride. We ride in cars everyday, but how often do we ride in a boat? Also there is a hint at danger with a boat. So many people are kept in there boat at IASM even though it is only a few feet of water. Subconsciously we fear drowning and that fear provides a thrill.

BUT!

I have to say that Disney is missing the point on a ride about a boat trip down the Rhine river. WHAT IS FUN ABOUT THAT? Rides should be something that kids as well as adults love. No kid is going to get excited about a boat trip down the Rhine river. That might be an adult fantasy, but not a kid's.

NOW if Disney were to add some MAGIC! That would bring in the kids. Make the trip go back in time to the age of Knights and Princesses! I would love to see an enchanted forest. How about some fairies or unicorns? I think that the climax could be a right with a fire-breathing dragon, a duel to the death between a knight and a dragon (as in Sleeping Beauty)! Now that would draw kids! The exterior of the German pavilion sets the mode for castles and knights. Add a few drops down a water fall in the ride system and this could be the best ride in WS and maybe in Epcot!

What do you think? Are you looking forward to a ride down the Rhine or through an enchanted forest?
    Oh man, don't let kids ruin this attraction too, please! They're ruining the rest of Epcot little by little already.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

BUT!

I disagree. In fact I have noticed that the rides in the Disney Parks that appeal more to children than to adults are generally less successful in themeing and popularity than the rides designed to appeal to children and adults alike. Walt Disney built Disneyland because he was bored to tears having to wait for his daughters to ride the carousel in Griffith Park. He built Disneyland as a place for children and adults to enjoy together. Rides put in for the pure enjoyment of children only do not have a place in any Disney theme park.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Oh man, don't let kids ruin this attraction too, please! They're ruining the rest of Epcot little by little already.

Yes, make those little buggers expand their knowledge and use their brains.

I would love a trip down the Rhine. My kids like the Malestrom and the stave church because they are a good part Norwegian, and when I take them there they get a breif lesson on their family tree from me.

We are also a good part German, and such a ride would be most welcomed. If we want to goof around and have some pure thrills we will go over to M:S

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Circle of Ancients

I think for what Epcot is 'supposed' to be, a journey down the Rhine is a good thing. You can still show castles, etc ... I don't think it will be 'literally' a ride down the rhine. It would probably show other things in Germany that aren't on Rhine.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Sounds like the whole mystical mythical troll-centric version of MAELSTROM that was originally going to go in NORWAY until they made it more representative of the whole country.

I would like to see GERMANY be more authentic. But considering EL RIO DE LOS TRES CABALLEROS just went in, a BROTHERS GRIMM CRUISE may be more in keeping with the direction EPCOT is going now.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Journey down the Rhine River???

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ... a journey down the Rhine is a good thing. You can still show castles, etc ... I don't think it will be 'literally' a ride down the rhine...
    It'll probably be a normal trip down the Rhine until SOMETHING GOES TERRIBLY WRONG.

Well Snow White did take place in Germany. So I am not to sure what type of ride this could be. I would love to see a Germany ride that's where all my family came from.

Blog Entries

One of my favorite Walt quotes was one where he said that he didn't believe in talking down to children. He believed they were always reaching and if you just built good fun attractions that they would reach up to enjoy it while the adults enjoyed it as well.

• Banned User

To be perfectly honest though, I'd rather see the Russian Pavillion built.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I disagree. In fact I have noticed that the rides in the Disney Parks that appeal more to children than to adults are generally less successful in themeing and popularity than the rides designed to appeal to children and adults alike. Walt Disney built Disneyland because he was bored to tears having to wait for his daughters to ride the carousel in Griffith Park. He built Disneyland as a place for children and adults to enjoy together. Rides put in for the pure enjoyment of children only do not have a place in any Disney theme park.
    I think this is my point. Attractions should be built that appeal to BOTH adults and children. While many adult vacationers love a trip down the real Rhine as a wonderful view of the scenery of Germany, but that is not what kids call fun. The attraction should be something that both kids and adults want to see.

Right now many kids find World Showcase very boring. Disney created Kidcot to provide some kind of amusement while at Epcot. Now I love WS. It is very adult entertainment oriented. Adults love shopping, dining, and drinking. (Only gambling is missing from the normal adult entertainments...) But Disney appeals to the family audiences. Kids love rides. The kind of ride I am talking about is not just one that would appeal to kids. Does Pirates of the Caribbean appeal to just to kids? It starts with a kid fantasy to be a pirate. Walt understood that many kid fantasies are still entertaining to adults. The world of knights, princesses, and dragons can be appealing to both adults and kids alike. Indeed they are at Renaissance fairs around the country.

Maelstrom is popular mainly because it is the only family ride available in WS. Now I think it is too short a ride, but that is another matter. But it does fit into WS.

Now I am not against educational rides, but remember that "a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down." I don't see anything wrong with learning about German history at the same time as having fun. Without that fun element, this Rhine river boat ride could be as exciting as the "Living with the Land" boat trip.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• May the F=ma be with you

This isn't exactly new or a rumor. The plans have been drawn a long time ago and the ride building is already there. I would like to see it built.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    This isn't exactly new or a rumor. The plans have been drawn a long time ago and the ride building is already there. I would like to see it built.
    Ah, but is the drawn up attraction "culturally relevent"? Now, Jack Sparrow's Journey down the Rhine sounds like something we can all enjoy.

I'd love to see more attractions inside World Showcase. Does anybody know if there was a reason besides funding that stopped this attraction? I see no reason to have to redesign these never built World Shocase attractions when the originals, with updated technology, could very well be wonderful.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Without that fun element, this Rhine river boat ride could be as exciting as the "Living with the Land" boat trip.
    I love living with the land. I go on it 2 or 3 times every time I am there if I can. I finally got to go on the Behind the Seeds tour last month.

and ......

My kids like that ride too. When we get off of it, the are so excited at what they saw, and want to run out an plant a garden.

I guess it takes all kinds.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Don't see this one happening at all ... but I've been wrong before ... once or maybe twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast