Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

EPCOT Cost Rica Pavillion

Article talking about EPCOT Costa Rica Pavillion

Ugh, more extinguished dreams.

• World Traveler

Re: EPCOT Cost Rica Pavillion

Yeah, they had also wanted to make a Venezuela pavillion. I don't think that country would be getting a great reception these days.

• Disneyholic

A couple years back there was a rumor about extending the world showcase off where the outpost is and including Russia and some other countries... Looking at the satalite photos there's not much room there but was that ever a serious consideration?
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Banned User

I was thinking the other day about an Australian pavillion. The attraction would be inside a replica of Ayers Rock (Uluru), and would be a theatre show using animatronics, film, music and sounds, and other special effects depicting the Aboriginal mythologies of how the world came to be, and the birth of Australia. Remember the opening ceremony of the 2000 Sydney Olympics? They depicted the Aborignal legend.

In the world's oldest continent the creative epoch known as the Dreamtime stretches back into a remote era in history when the creator ancestors known as the First Peoples travelled across the great southern land of Bandaiyan (Australia), creating and naming as they went.[25]Indigenous Australia's oral tradition and spiritual values are based upon reverence for the land and a belief in this Dreamtime. The Dreaming is at once both the ancient time of creation and the present day reality of Dreaming. There were a great many different groups, each with their own individual culture, belief structure, and language. These cultures overlapped to a greater or lesser extent, and evolved over time. Major Ancestral spirits include the Rainbow Serpent, Baiame, and Bunjil. The Yowie and Bunyip are also well known Ancestral beings. One version of the Dreaming story runs as follows:

The whole world was asleep. Everything was quiet, nothing moved, nothing grew. The animals slept under the earth. One day the rainbow snake woke up and crawled to the surface of the earth. She pushed everything aside that was in her way. She wandered through the whole country and when she was tired she coiled up and slept. So she left her tracks. After she had been everywhere she went back and called the frogs. When they came out their tubby stomachs were full of water. The rainbow snake tickled them and the frogs laughed. The water poured out of their mouths and filled the tracks of the rainbow snake. That's how rivers and lakes were created. Then grass and trees began to grow and the earth filled with life.
    Last edited by NickCharles; 04-05-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    A couple years back there was a rumor about extending the world showcase off where the outpost is and including Russia and some other countries... Looking at the satalite photos there's not much room there but was that ever a serious consideration?
    There's a lot more room than you think.

There are expansion pads for 4-5 full pavillions. And back in the 1980s, prior to the Epcot Resort Area being built, there was talk of doing another loop in that direction if needed.

Russia was indeed strongly considered ... just like Spain, Israel, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Equitorial Africa and, my personal fave, IRAN!

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post

There are expansion pads for 4-5 full pavillions. And back in the 1980s, prior to the Epcot Resort Area being built, there was talk of doing another loop in that direction if needed.

Russia was indeed strongly considered ... just like Spain, Israel, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Equitorial Africa and, my personal fave, IRAN!
    Huh. Well, it would cost a great deal of $$$, but I think it would be fantastic to have more cultures represented. Much as I love World Showcase, there's a whole lot more to the world than Europe, North America and a couple of Asian countries, y'know?
    She did it!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post

Don't forget Switzerland too!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Don't forget Switzerland too!
    From the Opus Archives regarding World Showcase concepts:

...and this video:

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/alexepcot.wmv

Got lots more somewhere. I'll post when I find 'em.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/alexepcot.wmv

Got lots more somewhere. I'll post when I find 'em.
    Oh that's from the Epcot Grand Opening special on the Wonderful World of Disney. I have the whole show.

• The one, the only...

I very much want new pavilions added to the World Showcase. I love the idea of Russia. Since right now the pavilions feature restaurants of the food of the countries, I have a list of suggestions:

Greece -- Greek food is great and unique.
    Russia -- Russia architecture is immediately identifiable. Their food is somewhat popular.
    India -- Indian food is fairly popular
    Thailand -- Thai food is a favorite on the West coast here.
    Poland -- There are many people in the US of polish descent and would love to dine at a polish restaurant. Polish food is popular in the upper mid-west.
    Brazil -- Because of its Mardi Gras, Brazil sounds very exciting for dining.

All the suggestions above have interesting, identifiable cultures that would make an interesting pavilion.

Costa Rica sounds like a poor choice because their food does not have any penetration in the US and probably would not be very popular at Epcot.

While Australia is somewhat famous for its "shrimp on the Barbe," their food is not distinctive enough to differentiate itself from other similar countries like Canada and the UK.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Minion

I think there are more than enough European countries in the World Showcase. But nothing at all from South Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa. I know the argument has been made that these lands are represented in Animal Kingdom, but that strikes me as a rather weak excuse, since those serve a different purpose. Also Morocco as the only representative country of the Middle East (in the absence of such culturally significant places as Egypt) and Mexico as the only representative of Latin America also seems a bit skimpy.

BTW thanks for the Costa Rica pic! I had seen the Russia, Spain, Israel and Africa concepts previously but not this one.

I would be very interested in seeing Greece with it's rich history, culture, food, and Hercules themed attraction.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

I've always wanted to see "Botswana"

Seriously, though, these countries are a long time coming. What could be a greater resource for Imagineers then having an entire culture and history to base a pavilion on? This is on of those cases where it's eveident they didn't run out of ideas, just enthusiasm. Or something else.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I very much want new pavilions added to the World Showcase. I love the idea of Russia. Since right now the pavilions feature restaurants of the food of the countries, I have a list of suggestions:

Greece -- Greek food is great and unique.
    Russia -- Russia architecture is immediately identifiable. Their food is somewhat popular.
    India -- Indian food is fairly popular
    Thailand -- Thai food is a favorite on the West coast here.
    Poland -- There are many people in the US of polish descent and would love to dine at a polish restaurant. Polish food is popular in the upper mid-west.
    Brazil -- Because of its Mardi Gras, Brazil sounds very exciting for dining.

All the suggestions above have interesting, identifiable cultures that would make an interesting pavilion.

Costa Rica sounds like a poor choice because their food does not have any penetration in the US and probably would not be very popular at Epcot.

While Australia is somewhat famous for its "shrimp on the Barbe," their food is not distinctive enough to differentiate itself from other similar countries like Canada and the UK.
    Ummmm while yes, the restaurants are a big part of the existing pavillions, it's not all about food, it's about different cultures. Obvisouly, I think an Australian pavillion with an attraction focusing on Aboriginal cultural myths like I said above, would be a great addition, imagineers could really do a lot with that, especially since it would be a new attraction and not just another restuarant.

You say Costa Rica would be a "poor choice" because the food doesn't have penetration in this country? Because of the food? Could there be a weaker reason for not building a pavillion for a specific country? Did you read the article?
    Last edited by NickCharles; 04-07-2007 at 08:58 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I think there are more than enough European countries in the World Showcase. But nothing at all from South Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa. I know the argument has been made that these lands are represented in Animal Kingdom, but that strikes me as a rather weak excuse, since those serve a different purpose. Also Morocco as the only representative country of the Middle East (in the absence of such culturally significant places as Egypt) and Mexico as the only representative of Latin America also seems a bit skimpy.

BTW thanks for the Costa Rica pic! I had seen the Russia, Spain, Israel and Africa concepts previously but not this one.
    I agree with you that we have more than enough of Europe in World Showcase. I would advocate Russia and that's it.

Morroco is not part of the Middle East, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast