View Poll Results: Have your ridden Epcot's new Gran Fiesta Tour at Epcot's Mexican pavilion?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** - Fantastic

6 17.14%
  • **** - Good

17 48.57%
  • *** - Average

3 8.57%
  • ** - OK

4 11.43%
  • * - Poor

5 14.29%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Gran Fiesta Tour Now Open - Your Thoughts and Reviews! (Merged)

Since I am having trouble viewing the video, and have now seen conflicting reports, is the original song still played in the attraction at all? I heard that it was played in the background at some points, but I am reading in other places it is not there. Can anyone confirm they heard it in the video?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Circle of Ancients

From the video it looks really cute. It looks like they kept ALOT of the original and added the new stuff.

I will withold my final judgement until next month, but I'm excited to see this.

I actually liked Gran Fiesta Tour more than I thought I would. Everything looked so much nicer and the colors in the videos were all so pretty.

Someone told me there were going to be AA's at the end where the carousel thing used to be, but there aren't.

Angry Re: Gran Fiesta Tour Now Open - Your Thoughts and Reviews! (Merged)

No Donald, Panchito, or Jose AA's?!?! I mean really, how cheap are you Disney World? IM so glad I went to Disneyland last year on a whim...I finally saw how Florida is being cheated out of quality attractions. For God's sake, the video thing was done 20 years ago! How about trying somthing new WDI?! What the H$!# is going on in Imagineering to keep putting out crap?! EVERYONE WHO HAS NOT BEEN TO DISNEYLAND TAKE YOUR WDW MONEY AND GO THERE OR TOKYO DISNEYLAND. YOUR EYES WILL BE OPENED AND YOU'LL SEE HOW THERE IS NO TLC LEFT IN WDW....ONLY CORPORATE COOKIE CUTTER GREED WHERE A WORLD OF TOMORROW BECOMES MONTERS INC., STICTH, AND HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

It's definately more alive feeling than the old show. It seemed the show is faster than the old one since the aztec temple part has something to look at now.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

Blog Entries

I'm going to give a much more in depth analysis of this ride on my blog a little later once I've had a chance to parse my thoughts on this a little more. So far I have very mixed emotions about this ride after watching that video. So far this is what is running through my head in a very basic form.

1. Is the Gran Fiesta Tour more fun than El Rio Del Tiempo?
    Yes, No question about it. There are those who try to claim that El Rio Del Tiempo had a charm about it and that when it first opened it was a wonderful ride and one that people loved. That's hogwash. It did have a charm to it because of how awful it was, but that's not something I like. Furthermore I rode this ride back when the park was new and everybody I know who rode it back then thought it sucked back then as well. It was horribly campy and only reinforced bad stereotypes about Mexico. So the ride is much more fun now than the old one was and I think we'll actually start to see a line for it now.

2. Is the Gran Fiesta Tour Better than El Rio Del Tiempo?
    As I said in my last response, it is definitely more fun, but here's where my mixed emotions come in. Does it fit the goal of EPCOT Center? No. The ride is not about Mexico in the least. It's about the 3 Cabelleros who just happen to be in Mexico. The 3 cabelleros have reduced the ride from being a ride about Mexico which it was before to a ride about the 3 cabs. Mexico is just an extra in this film and to me that is sad.

EPCOT Center was a park dedicated to not only being fun, but to teaching us about the world around us. To teaching us about science, about culture, and about the beauty of human ingenuity. This ride does none of that. It entertains us to be certain, but it teaches us nothing. To that end, it is a sad refurb to me because it just further reinforces the truth that Epcot Center is now dead and lower case epcot is now the ruler of this parcel of property. The desire to teach us about those three things is long gone in current epcot and now replaced with a shallow pull for quick entertainment.

3. How would I have made it better?
    I'll answer this in two parts. First, how I would have made it better to fit into the theme of Epcot Center and then secondly how I would have done it for the current epcot, the park that has lost any desire to educate and enlighten and now only desires to entertain us.

There are those who will argue that this refurb would not have been able to exist in EPCOT Center in any form and fashion because putting the 3 cabs into it would have disqualified it on its own. I'm not one who falls to that line. I believe that we can have great fun and entertaining characters and still learn at the same time.

There is certainly no reason that we could not have used the 3 cabelleros as tour guides through Mexican culture. They could even have used the same storyline that they were visiting Mexico to do it. However as they travelled throughout Mexico, the characters could have taken a moment to educate us about the world they found themselves in. As they came across certain parts of Mexican culture one of them could have taken the time to give us a bit of a Mexican History lesson about what they were looking at such as the temple Donald is on at the beginning. That's it, we still could have used the same format, but instead of having a quick ride through searching for Donald and using Mexico as an extra in the movie we could have put the focus back on Mexico and used the 3 cabelleros as the guides through Mexico.

However, as we sadly know, the desire to educate us in any way seems to slowly be slipping out of epcot. In its current form where epcot is nothing more than another place for mindless amusement there are still a few things that should have been done differently. This version is certainly more upbeat and fun than the old El Rio Del Tiempo but it's too focused on the films. Have the characters on the films pointing out props that were being used around them or at the very least put a few AA's of the cabs in the ride. Maybe some simple ones in the IASW portion celebrating with the Mexican citizens and then either at the end of the ride where they're performing or after that where they can wave goodbye to us instead of just a painting with audio of them saying adios. Maybe at a later time if this attraction begins to draw in crowds some imagineer will say, you know what would be the icing on the cake here? AA's of Donald and his friends.

4. Final Thoughts?
    Overall I'm pleased with this refurb in that it is a better experience than we had previously but it's just pretty good. It could have been so much more than just good. It could have been great. Sadly Disney seems much too happy to just put out good or pretty good attractions lately rather than going the extra step to make it great. And even more sad is the realization that EPCOT Center is completely dead. Lower case epcot is pretty good, but it's not the great and fantastic theme that it once was and although it's pretty good I'm disheartened that it is no longer great.

I saw the Gran Fiesta Tour today and I really liked it, I have no memory of El Rio Del Tiempo, but my friend I was with said that he felt the ride was much better now. I'm still hoping though that Disney will soon try to make something great when they update it or build it and not just good.

• MiceAge Columnist

I'll have much more of a play by play in next week's update, but in general:

1. I liked it.
    2. It's an improvement
    3. It's not amazing or good enough to justify a special trip, but I'm glad they did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

From the video I just saw, it looks pretty good. I've always liked the Three Caballeros. Looking forward to seeing this in person next month!

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

I'd be happy if they just changed the name back to something like El Rio del Tiempo. As it is now, I keep wanting to run out to Taco Bell to order me a Gran Fiesta.

• Banned User

I will have to ride it once I get back to Orlando on Sunday.... but I still want Fishbulb to call it "Rio de Queso".

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    I'd be happy if they just changed the name back to something like El Rio del Tiempo. As it is now, I keep wanting to run out to Taco Bell to order me a Gran Fiesta.

OK we get it. Taco Bell. Ha ha. </s>

I personally am very excited about this as I found the original ride and name very bland and boring and only rode it once, even if I did visit EPCOT more than 50 times over the past few years.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    Well considering the ride is no longer "The River of Time" like it used to be, calling it El Rio del Tiempo would be... well... stupid. I think the new name is fine, really. Though yeah, it does make me want Taco Hell (mmmmm... nachos bell grande).

• Defying gravity

Looks much improved from the original!

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Im very excited, the new ride looks like a lot of fun and I cant wait to see it in person; I love the Three Caballeros! And whoever thought there would be a ride with them!

You know, I thought Panchito would be a little more prominent as sort of the host to Donald, Jose and us, but its really about all three of them equally. Also, the new version of the song throughout the ride is very infectious....much more Mariachi then past versions.

I love the bit with the escalator stairs on the pyramid
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast