View Poll Results: Should Carousel of Progress be....

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Updated/Refurbished?

58 69.05%
  • Refurbished?

14 16.67%
  • Replaced?

12 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• "There's always my way"

Lightbulb Carousel of Progress...refurbished or axed?

I've noticed on my last visit how the Carousel of Progress has really been aging over the years. I did receive a bit of refurbishment during the tomorrowland rehab back in the 90s. Although many would think they should remove this ride, I believe that it should meet a major refurbishment schedule. Some of the curtains have been shreading while others are just colleting dust. It'll be a crime to remove this ride since it was one of Walt Disney's best attractions. I think it deserves some refurbishment and updating.
    Any thoughts?

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Re: Carousel of Progress...refurbished or axed?

well, as it stands now Disney has plans to pass it on to the Smithsonian institution in the not-too-distant future (possibly within 5 years).

However, the Smithsonian still needs to find the space to accomodate such a structure. I love COP and would like to see it stay, but at the same time I can understand having it retired to a place that will give it proper adoration.

Keep in mind folks that COP is the only ride in WDW that Walt Disney has ridden himself....piece of history....so it may be for the best that its kept at the Smithsonian...

what do y'all think?
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

let me just say for the record that i am in favor of an update/refurb....i love COP!! :-D
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• This space for rent

I voted to replace it, I've never liked the current version of it's theme song. I grew up with the G.E. version of it, and miss it's song The Best Time of Your Life. I don't see WDW putting in a lot of money to refurb it, and if it's going to the Smithsonian eventually, then maybe they'll clean it up and perhaps refurb it.

• Banned User

Keep the rotating theatre, but put in a new show.

Blog Entries

The COP should always be in a Disney Park somewhere and in pristine condition. That's my thought at least.

They really need to keep this attraction going! Just try and update it every 5 years so it doesn't get so outdated.. it is a true classic with a song that will stay in your head for quite some time!

Disney: true inspiration!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I think a refurbishment would be great and a possible update.

However, I don't think that Disney would put forth the funds to update it in all it's grandeur so I would agree that the Smithsonian would be an excellent place to maintain this fabulous and often times overlooked classic.

• If We Can Dream It...

I've always thought that what they should do to it is change the exit theater into another scene and make the entrance theater also the exit. Think about it, then they could have a little more cohesive story, they could make scene IV the 70/80's and then change the exit to a modern scene.
    Of course, it would be really cool if they built a new complex for it (attacted and enclosed) with Innoventions and have it be a semi pre-show for the rest of the exhibits. I don't think they can truely even "get rid" of the attraction, it will always have a home somewhere.
    - Horizonsfan

An update is really needed for the ride. The """new""" ending was horrendously cheesy when it first opened, never mind now.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post
    well, as it stands now Disney has plans to pass it on to the Smithsonian institution in the not-too-distant future (possibly within 5 years).
    Where did you hear this?? Is this fact?

My husband is probably one of the few people who had the honor of riding this at the 1964 NY Worlds Fair, at DL and at WDW. It would be a shame to move it from where it is now, it belongs in a Disney park.

I feel it should be completely restored & preserved to it's original version, music, and with the Speedramp exit to view the model of Progress City. COP was one of Walt's original jewels and should stay that way for future generations. It is truly a travesty if Disney lets this piece of Disney history get shoved to the back of the pile of refurbs and forgotten.
    That'll be a sad day to see it in disrepair in 2 weeks when I go to WDW.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
    I've always thought that what they should do to it is change the exit theater into another scene and make the entrance theater also the exit. Think about it, then they could have a little more cohesive story, they could make scene IV the 70/80's and then change the exit to a modern scene.
    Of course, it would be really cool if they built a new complex for it (attacted and enclosed) with Innoventions and have it be a semi pre-show for the rest of the exhibits. I don't think they can truely even "get rid" of the attraction, it will always have a home somewhere.
    I agree. Keep it, update the soft furnishings, and make a new set as you described.

Take the current ending set and re-work it to cover 1990's era (lets say 1980-2010) and then put in a fnal scene for the future. That will cover them for another 15-20 years if done correctly. After that, I am at a loss, as then they would have run out of stages.

And get rid of the whole space game/exploding oven thing, its really poorly done. That whole last scene just bugs me. The have a talking oven that takes voice commands and yet the daughter has skis from 1980.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Keep the rotating theatre, but put in a new show.
    !!!

Blasphemy, how dare you even think this!!!
    ~~Jodi~~

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    . . . and yet the daughter has skis from 1980.
    Ha, Ha, so do I. But just for old times sake, I use my parabolics now.

Carry on.
    ~~Jodi~~

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee View Post
    Ha, Ha, so do I. But just for old times sake, I use my parabolics now.

Carry on.
    Shhhhhh, so do I - its a secret. I have a pair of - 215 I think - Straight as a board Rossignols laying around here.

I haven't skied enough lately to justify buying parabolics - yay for rentals.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast