Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55
  1. #31

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539
    There's an alternate program that is for musicians and dancers. Does that one have housing also?

  2. #32

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    I don't know about the musicians and dancers one. Live musicians at the park are all hired through Equity contracts. Most dancers in the park are just part of the character department, although some roles are Equity (eg Tarzan Rocks and Beauty and the Beast).
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  3. #33

    • ISTC Instructor
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    98
    I can't wait to be in Florida next month for the program. Kind of wish I applied for the Advantage Program wich would have been from January to August, but I guess April to August is still a good chunk of time. I'm hoping this experience will open the door to a possible future with Disney.

    For those who have gone already, did you take one of the classes? If so then which one and was it good or not. One final question for those who took classes did it interfer with work or simply enjoying yourself?

  4. #34

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    I took the Experiential Learning class... it was okay, but I didn't really feel like I got a whole lot out of it. But as a science major, I also didn't really feel like the course material pertained to me. Had a great instructor, though!! As far as interfering... at times it was a bit annoying to have to go there when I could be playing in the parks, but I didn't feel like it interfered too much. It was just a couple of hours a week.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  5. #35

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    I am excited about the program. I don't exactly care for your pessimistic attitude. Also, I won't be peeling "vegtibles" anytime soon because that is virtually impossible since "vegtibles" do not exist. Thank you for your advice. I will be sure to stay far away from people like yourself.

    Does anyone have any kind advice to share? I sure hope so.
    While the pessimistic poster (Moonliner) did come across as negative, there is a kernel of truth to the reply. You will most likely be employed to do menial work. While working a semester at WDW might be fun, it might be wiser to obtain an internship that is related to the career you are preparing for. It will look much more impressive on that first resume than saying you spent a semester dishing out burgers and fries at WDW.

  6. #36

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    True, but you'd be surprised what some places think when they see WDW on a resume. Of course, in places near the resort, they probably see it all the time and it's no big deal. But when I applied for a job here in San Diego... well, WDW was a huge topic that I was asked about several times during my interview. And I did get the job. It's not so much the WDW job itself, as the reputation of the company. People know Disney theme parks have a reputation for great guest service, and that reputation then gets transferred to people who have worked there.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  7. #37

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187
    Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz
    While the pessimistic poster (Moonliner) did come across as negative, there is a kernel of truth to the reply. You will most likely be employed to do menial work. While working a semester at WDW might be fun, it might be wiser to obtain an internship that is related to the career you are preparing for. It will look much more impressive on that first resume than saying you spent a semester dishing out burgers and fries at WDW.

    Yup! Thank you for your help; however, I plan on working for The Disney Company (hopefully in the park) so I feel this would be the best place to start. I will let you all know once I get details and I can meet some you guys or something fun.

  8. #38

    • Frequent WDW Visitor
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    37
    As a former CP myself, I heartily recommend the program to anyone. And, yes, I was one of those "bathroom cleaners." Nothing wrong with that. Ever wonder how the bathrooms get so clean at WDW? It ain't audio-animatronic figures keeping it that way! Honestly, Custodial is one of the best jobs in the parks, for a variety of reasons, so don't be afraid to go for it if that's what you're offered. I would, however, be a little afraid of Quick Service Foods...

    Just realize that the program is what you make of it. If you enjoy going to the park every day to make guests' days a little better, you'll have fun. If you think menial tasks are beneath you, it'd be better not to apply as you won't have a good time and you'll make it hard for others to have a good time as well. You sound like a level-headed person, though.

    It also helps to have decent roommates. If you have a friend who gets accepted and goes on the same day, get in line together and you'll probably get the same apartment. The living situation is very good. Yes, you'll be living with 5 other people, but if you're used to college dorms, you'll feel like you're living in luxury. And if you really have any major issues with the apartment/roommates you get, they can always place you elsewhere. Just ask, fill out the form, and pay the fee (not a big one, so don't worry -- plus you probably won't have to do it anyway).

    Also, since you want to work for Disney in the future, the CP is the way to start. It means you'll have an in when you go back to get hired. You may have to be hourly before you get to the higher positions, but to accomplish your dream of working for Disney, you've got to start somewhere. Good luck and feel free to PM/E-mail/IM me with any questions you may have (like why in the world I say Custodial is a good position, for instance . Although, since you've been researching since you were 15, you may not have any left!
    Last edited by WDWFan75; 03-10-2005 at 09:29 PM.

  9. #39

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFan75
    Just realize that the program is what you make of it. If you enjoy going to the park every day to make guests' days a little better, you'll have fun. If you think menial tasks are beneath you, it'd be better not to apply as you won't have a good time and you'll make it hard for others to have a good time as well. You sound like a level-headed person, though.
    Truer words were never spoken!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  10. #40

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFan75
    Just realize that the program is what you make of it.
    Absolutely true. I was on the college program years ago and did not go to any parties. I spent a lot of my time playing in the parks, but I spent as much time as I could learning about the company. Through College Relations I set up meetings with various managers around the resort and talked with them about their areas and what sort of qualifications they were looking for. I really decided what I wanted to do with my life during the college program (all the while washing dishes in a kitchen at Disney/MGM Studios). I attended all the optional seminars and "conversations with..." It was great. If you want to party, there's that opportunity. If you want to play in the parks...have fun. If you want to learn about the Walt Disney Co., you have to work a little harder but that opportunity is there too.

    I really think anyone who looks down on some of the less glamerous jobs at WDW is missing the point. I washed dishes and took out trash and served fast food, but I leared so much about Guest Service and what people want from Disney, and appreciate about Disney, and expect from Disney. I moved on to other jobs at Disney, but that experience stayed with me, and I still draw from it all the time.

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    I really think anyone who looks down on some of the less glamerous jobs at WDW is missing the point. I washed dishes and took out trash and served fast food, but I leared so much about Guest Service and what people want from Disney, and appreciate about Disney, and expect from Disney. I moved on to other jobs at Disney, but that experience stayed with me, and I still draw from it all the time.
    I think that you bring up a good point, especially for anyone who might wish to pursue a career in the hospitality industry.

    Still, if you earning a degree in Chemical Engineering, you might be better served with an internship at Dow Chemical than WDW.

  12. #42

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFan75
    As a former CP myself, I heartily recommend the program to anyone.
    Wow! Thank you so much to all of the CP alumni for all of your support. I will let you know how I do. I am still awaiting a response. I don't think I will get one until spring break (next week) or after that since I went to character auditions. I don't exactly want to talk about how they went, but I will let you know later- trust me. I just want to take some time to really think it through so that I don't come across sounding bad.

    I am just really curious about where I will get placed. From your interviews, where did you say you would most like to work and is that where you worked? I said MK and MGM. Thanks for the advice about food service. I didn't check that on my application, but they could still put me there technically. I totally understand that it is for the experience, not what you are doing. My aunt kept saying that to me a couple of weeks ago when we went to a play and I talked her into what you all said and she flipped her thoughts around.

    My mom will be very happy to hear about the roommate issue. I must say I had one of the worst roommates ever at the start of my year here. So now I got moved into a room with another girl (but we have separt rooms connected by a bathroom). I personally don't mind other people.. as long as they are nice and willing to be friends. I bet in this situation you will almost have to be!

    I am also happy to hear about how you did not party. I have hear stories about how much Vista Way is also party central. I like to have a good time yes, but I guess I'm more like you and would rather play at the parks, talk to new people, meet people in the company, etc. I'm glad to hear that is something I can do.

    That's all I have for now. I might have more later once I get notification. Wish me luck!!

  13. #43

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    I am just really curious about where I will get placed. From your interviews, where did you say you would most like to work and is that where you worked?
    In my initial interview, I picked Operations as my first choice, then Lifeguarding, and then Merchandise. I ended up in Merchandise.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  14. #44

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    307
    I put down..Attractions, Custodial and then Foods. I got foods. But one year later I was back as a summer CT (Casual temporary Cast member) in attractions.

  15. #45

    • Frequent WDW Visitor
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    37
    I asked for Operations (but I specified Attractions) as my first choice, Custodial as my second, and... You know, I actually don't remember anymore from there. But, obviously, I got Custodial. I ended up at the Studios, which is by far the best park to do Custodial in, and in the best area of the park (and I've worked all of them). I happened to get really lucky, so my experience may be skewed toward the positive. I also never attended a party, but I didn't go to the Disney networking events, either, nor did I take classes. I made "connections" purely through on-the-job performance and natural interaction (still the best way, IMHO -- at least for my personality, so YMMV) and I spent time playing in the parks with my equally Disney-loving friends and roommates. I learned more about business and life in those 7 months pulling trash and cleaning restrooms than I have in 3 years of college so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Disney College Program Help
    By Peglegin98 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 05:46 PM
  2. [Question] Disney College Program
    By CastMember08 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
  3. Disney College Program
    By dramagrl in forum Break Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 11:59 PM
  4. Disney College Program
    By Tedi Bara in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 08:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •