Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

On the other hand, a coworker just got back from a week in WDW with his 2 kids, and said nothing but good things about the cast. He met many friendly, outgoing people of all ages, who all seemed to be enjoying what they were doing, and wanted to help him and his kids to have a great vacation.

Sometimes, it's all perception. . .

• I am Tron!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    On the other hand, a coworker just got back from a week in WDW with his 2 kids, and said nothing but good things about the cast. He met many friendly, outgoing people of all ages, who all seemed to be enjoying what they were doing, and wanted to help him and his kids to have a great vacation.
    My experience two months ago was the same. I have heard reports of CMs not up to snuff, but with a few exceptions of some who made honest mistakes, I didn't encounter any. The CMs, especially their attitude, is what saved my trip from several minor disasters, and I for one appreciate it greatly.

• A Real Disney Attraction

Sometimes, it's all perception. . .
    And that's great Dan. There's nothing more I can say in regards to your coworker's positive experience.

I didn't have such a good experience and most of the bad was centered around the hotel/pool staff and certain restaurants staff. I don't know when your coworker started visiting, but I have noticed an up and down nature over the last 30 years and since at least 1999 it has certainly been down for me. It's not my age that does it either, because I notice a vast difference between my experience at WDW and at DL in 2004.

So at best I guess WDW is hit or miss now. Well, to me, that still is a problem. The hit or miss, in my mind, should be minimized.

Lastly, the CP kids are actually quite pleasant. Anytime I encountered a problem involving them it was actually an experience/job knowledge issue that simply caused me a slightly longer wait or inconvenience. Whether it be at a register or riding through Snow White with the house lights on.
    -Mike

• Sock Puppet

In other news, DL comes up from abyssal hell in last 3 years. I mean HOW many rehabs did SPLASH and MATTERHORN go under? Even little Cs like TOAD had THREE rehabs in TWO years. Gimme a break, and all MK can do is close PAN for FOUR days. I predict MK will be OBSOLETE by '07 when Nemo resurfaces at the NEW Sub Lagoon to haunt the spirit of Captain Nemo and 20k.

• Banned User

You are too kind. The MK became obsolete in 2001. Complete updates and overhauls are needed in every area of the MK as far as I can see when compared to it's sister parks. There is so much work that needs to be done in those attraction sets, it's actually not funny anymore. The more they wait, the worst some of the MK most popular features look grossly dated and old.

I would say MK took the final uppercut Fall 1998. From Fall 1998 to Fall 1999 it was bye to Toad & Skyway, 4 years without Subs, and hello to Fastpass. That's when I started feeling something was up.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    You are too kind. The MK became obsolete in 2001. Complete updates and overhauls are needed in every area of the MK as far as I can see when compared to it's sister parks. There is so much work that needs to be done in those attraction sets, it's actually not funny anymore. The more they wait, the worst some of the MK most popular features look grossly dated and old.
    Exactly. WDW management just keeps milking the money cow that is the MK because folks show up there no matter what. It's the only park in Orlando that seems to draw folks almost automatically.

The fact the MK is a pale shadow of what it was even a decade ago doesn't matter to average idiot tourist.

So much upkeep and regular maintainance was deferred that the MK is in need of millions just to bring show quality back to what it was before. That's not adding anything, just cleaning and getting effects working and painting etc ...

When I walk under the tunnels into DL, the difference between it and the MK are striking (likely what you feel when you visit TDL). The MK just feels so wide open and empty in places ... desolate ... bland ... and worse ... rundown. I keep going back to the anaolgy of an outlet mall gone bad, but that's what Main Street in the MK feels like to me.

Adding a spectacular fireworks show in Wishes, a good 3D movie in PhilharMagic and a godawful Stitch's Great Disaster, the first Disney attraction to ever advertise gas, belches and spitting as part of the fun (just to show how low the WalMart bar is now) doesn't change it one bit.

The MK is in major trouble ... I'd love to give Al Lutz a personal tour!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I keep going back to the anaolgy of an outlet mall gone bad, but that's what Main Street in the MK feels like to me.
    Have they reopened the floor space yet?
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ChiMike
    Have they reopened the floor space yet?
    Only a very small portion. They reopened the back of Uptown
    Jewelers ... to sell .... drumroll please .... PINS!!!! Apparently, they cut down the amount/selection at the huge Camera Center Shop monstrosity that took over the Walt Disney Story and moved the rest over.

All of the remaining shuttered retail was still in that condition in mid-April (my last visit). What's worse is EVERY story now sells the exact same stuff ... even the freaking athletic stores has dropped all the sports stuff (except for a few balls) and ESPN logo merchandise (like the autographed and truly LE stuff that disappeared a few years ago) for the typical generic Grumpy tees and Pooh sweatshirts.

Why oh why can't Disney FIRE all of its WDW merchandising people. They belong at WalMArt!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The fact the MK is a pale shadow of what it was even a decade ago doesn't matter to average idiot tourist.
    Now that's just plain rude, to say that the average tourist is by definition an idiot. I go back again to my friend who just returned from his first ever visit with his 2 kids. He spent 7 days, saw all the parks, and had no problem saying that the MK was his favorite.

I don't disagree that upkeep has slipped, that the MK could use several new attractions of all ticket levels. But to someone who's never been (and is definitely NOT an idiot), it's still a pretty impressive place. You want a dump? Go to the average Six Flags.

• Sock Puppet

""He spent 7 days, saw all the parks, and had no problem saying that the MK was his favorite.""

Um, had he ever been BEFORE and does he know about teh other 3 SUPERIOR MKs? If not, then.........

• Sock Puppet

""It's the only park in Orlando that seems to draw folks almost automatically.

The fact the MK is a pale shadow of what it was even a decade ago doesn't matter to average idiot tourist.""

Why do u THINK they BLOCKED the selling of the DLP 10th Anniversary book.

Quote Originally Posted by OTownGuy
    Um, had he ever been BEFORE and does he know about teh other 3 SUPERIOR MKs? If not, then.........
    That's my entire point, OTown. No, he'd never seen any other MK's. And he didn't have 34 years of park storming experience to do a comparison. All he had was his knowledge of other 6 Flags type parks, plus visits to DL many years ago. He was floored by WDW's MK!

I've got no problem with people comparing today with yesterday, and to a certain extent I agree with them - the Disney parks used to be maintained better, and CM's used to be of a higher quality. Where I disagree is when people start saying that the MK is washed up, done, soon to be out of business cuz it's so damned BAD. That just isn't true.

Now that's just plain rude, to say that the average tourist is by definition an idiot. I go back again to my friend who just returned from his first ever visit with his 2 kids. He spent 7 days, saw all the parks, and had no problem saying that the MK was his favorite.

I don't disagree that upkeep has slipped, that the MK could use several new attractions of all ticket levels. But to someone who's never been (and is definitely NOT an idiot), it's still a pretty impressive place. You want a dump? Go to the average Six Flags.
    A good point. I would guess that the typical WDW visitor only visits once every few years. I know quite a few families that have been there only once (due mostly to cost). To someone like that, who otherwise only gets to visit Six Flags, WDW in its "run down" state is mind boggling.

• Banned User

All he had was his knowledge of other 6 Flags type parks, plus visits to DL many years ago. He was floored by WDW's MK!

Where I disagree is when people start saying that the MK is washed up, done, soon to be out of business cuz it's so damned BAD. That just isn't true.
    About the first sentence above...It's quite bad for the 'other' theme parks out there when our semi-run down Kingdom can still "floor" first-timers. Does not speak highly of the 6-flags of the World, but I guess first timers would have to be carried out of the MK in stretchers if they saw it the way it used to be! ..and I guess that is why us old-timers feel so strongly about this issue.

About the 2nd sentence above.. Dannyboy missed the point. No one is saying the MK is done, washed up or will go out of business soon. Au contraire... However, Disney should be ashamed to be charging the highest day-ticket price to visit it, yet it's the most inferior of the 4 DL parks now in operation, regardless of it being the most visited park in the World. THAT alone should be reason for the MK to be the undisputable best in the bunch, especially since they took that title away from the very best DL overall: TDL. The MK is not going to collapse anytime soon, but there is a lot of room for improvements and needs desperately to catch up with it's DL sister parks. Pure and simple.

Darn ME for knowing my DL parks so so well and which are worthy of their price of admission!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast