Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Now that's just plain rude, to say that the average tourist is by definition an idiot. I go back again to my friend who just returned from his first ever visit with his 2 kids. He spent 7 days, saw all the parks, and had no problem saying that the MK was his favorite.

I don't disagree that upkeep has slipped, that the MK could use several new attractions of all ticket levels. But to someone who's never been (and is definitely NOT an idiot), it's still a pretty impressive place. You want a dump? Go to the average Six Flags.
    Well, I'd just change one word of what 74 said.... call the average tourist ignorant. Not an idiot, as there's a chance they'll educate themselves, but heck, I used to be ignorant regarding Disney's parks here in the US - not so anymore.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    Well, I'd just change one word of what 74 said.... call the average tourist ignorant. Not an idiot
    True. Some idiots are actually more intelligent than some ignorant but lucid tourists....

Oh well... I have said it before and I'll say it again... Tourists check their brains with their luggage, then the airlines loose both.

• Banned User

Updated remark!!! "Tourists check their brains with their luggage, the airlines loose both, or else, the Disney' Magical Express delivers both to someone else's resort"

• Super Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    About the 2nd sentence above.. Dannyboy missed the point. No one is saying the MK is done, washed up or will go out of business soon.
    I missed no point. You yourself said "The MK became obsolete in 2001." This is what I'm talking about. You may feel that the place is obsolete, where my friend thought it was the coolest park he'd ever seen. And in a way, this is part of the problem. As long as the general "ignorant" public is still impressed, even with things not as kept up as they should be, then Disney has no incentive to change things. When the crowds start dropping off, that's when they'll start fixing things.

• Super Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    Well, I'd just change one word of what 74 said.... call the average tourist ignorant.
    I'm sure that's what he meant. I can be so sensitive at times . . .

• Banned User

When the crowds start dropping off, that's when they'll start fixing things.
    The crowds won't drop because they spent tons of money on promotional efforts to make the parks appealing, even if they don't care that the paint is a-pealing off the walls at the MK. Why do you think WDW is hosting a faux Celebration and stealing the spotlight away from the rightful DL, which should be the only focal point of the Golden celebration???

Magic be dammed. Profits be good (so we can justify Eisner et pals)

Now that's just plain rude, to say that the average tourist is by definition an idiot. I go back again to my friend who just returned from his first ever visit with his 2 kids. He spent 7 days, saw all the parks, and had no problem saying that the MK was his favorite.

I don't disagree that upkeep has slipped, that the MK could use several new attractions of all ticket levels. But to someone who's never been (and is definitely NOT an idiot), it's still a pretty impressive place. You want a dump? Go to the average Six Flags.
    Great! I get to argue with danyoung! Just like old times ...

OK, Dan you ignorant slut, I didn't say your friend was an idiot. Having never met him and not knowing about him, that would be rude.

BUT, BUT, BUT ... I stand by my opinion (that's what it is, even though I'm right) that the 'average' tourist is indeed not the swiftest paddler in the canoe. I know that might offend you or others, and it's not my intention. I just have observed enough in my life to make some blanket statements. There are always exceptions ... like your friend.

And the MK isn't a dump. I have never called it that. I don't believe that.

But boy if you hadn't been there since say 1991 ... well, you'd be shocked at how dirty, unkempt and unmagical a lot of things are.

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz
    A good point. I would guess that the typical WDW visitor only visits once every few years. I know quite a few families that have been there only once (due mostly to cost). To someone like that, who otherwise only gets to visit Six Flags, WDW in its "run down" state is mind boggling.
    But the whole comparison is faulty. To someone who's homeless, a shack without electricty might be wonderful.

I compare Disney to one thing only -- Disney.

And, FWIW, the fact that WDW caters to people who may only come once in 2-3 years has allowed them to slowly, but steadilly WalMart the parks and resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    But the whole comparison is faulty. To someone who's homeless, a shack without electricty might be wonderful.

I compare Disney to one thing only -- Disney.

And, FWIW, the fact that WDW caters to people who may only come once in 2-3 years has allowed them to slowly, but steadilly WalMart the parks and resorts.
    I agree with you in that they do it because the current customer demographic allows them to. If the average customer were like us it would be different. But they are not. Most of them don't even know that the 50th is DL's and not WDW's. They are casual visitors.
    Last edited by fkurucz; 06-17-2005 at 08:22 AM.

they took that title away from the very best DL overall: TDL.
    um I don't think so

the title technicaly went to the orgional up until WDW eventualy phased out the title (probably the use of the word "world" brought a good end to it since "world" is just bigger then "land")

world has kept the title ever since (paris might've taken a good shot with it's modern newness but the unimpressive beginnings didn't help it, and most americans don't go to france)

• Banned User

..And some tourists even think Orlando is a suburb of Miami!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    um I don't think so

the title technicaly went to the orgional up until WDW eventualy phased out the title (probably the use of the word "world" brought a good end to it since "world" is just bigger then "land")

world has kept the title ever since (paris might've taken a good shot with it's modern newness but the unimpressive beginnings didn't help it, and most americans don't go to france)
    A lot of Americans DO go to France, but most won't care to visit DLP (big difference there)
    As for my comment a few posts above...
    I was not talking about park size. I was talking about quantity. MK claims they are recieving more visitors than TDL on most days. That may or may not be true...but when I said..."best DL overall" in relation to TDL, I am referring to the unmatched quality of that park in every respect, as opposed to the MK not measuring up to that. In regards to DL- the original- I have always placed them a very very close #2 in the same virtues I praise about TDL.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 06-16-2005 at 10:43 PM.

A lot of Americans DO go to France, but most won't care to visit DLP (big difference there)
    As for my comment a few posts above...
    I was not talking about park size. I was talking about quantity. MK claims they are recieving more visitors than TDL on most days. That may or may not be true...but when I said..."best DL overall" in relation to TDL, I am referring to the unmatched quality of that park in every respect, as opposed to the MK not measuring up to that. In regards to DL- the original- I have always placed them a very very close #2 in the same virtues I praise about TDL.
    oops

yeah that's what I meant is that when most americans are in france they tend to want to see um French things? basicaly they feel they can see Disney at home and don't see any real difference between the two (because they never thought to check it out) the word of mouth also doesn't help too much I suppose

and ok I suppose I can sorta see what your talking about quality wise with upkeep and whatnot

I wish Tokyo would advertise more I don't think many people are aware that there is a Disneyland in Japan (at least not the way they're aware of Land, World and Paris)

• I am Tron!

..And some tourists even think Orlando is a suburb of Miami!!
    You mean it's not?!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KingStefan
    You mean it's not?!
    No it isn't. It's a suburb of Puerto Rico.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast