Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking First Time to WDW

Hello everyone...I am new to this site, so please forgive me if I ask something that has already been answered.

I am going to WDW for the first time In June 2007. Can anyone tell me the best things that I need to do first when we get there? I know you can't do everything on the first trip, so I want to make sure I get some of the best stuff in. Please keep in mind that I have a 3 year old.

Also, can I get ideas on the best places to eat? Also, thoughts on the dining plan. Advantages/Disadvantages. It will be me, my husband and 3 year old daughter.

Thank you
    Stephanie

• Mouse Extra Dave

Re: First Time to WDW

Well, you need to tell us first what you like. What kind of food? How ong are you going to be there. Stuff like that
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Attn. Space Travelers....

well, since you have a 3-year old, make sure you visit the Magic Kingdom as it will be the most fun/magical for your child.....other than that, my only advice is have fun and try to visit as many of the parks as you can and dont negelct visiting Downtown Disney!!

Enjoy your visit!!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• "There's always my way"

I'm sure you're all going to have a great time. Best thing to do is to plan your day. You could get a lot of park maps and information about the parks before going. It usually gets busy around June so I would suggest to get the parks early. Check out http://allears.net/
    THey offer good information about the parks including food. I'm not sure if I should suggest the Dinning Plan. I've never done it. It's a good idea if you plan to visit the parks within the year of purchase. I'll definitely suggest for you to do some research on that. I hope this helps. Definitely, check out Magic Kingdom.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

Stefnmike, when ya going? I'll be there from 6/20-6/30. Disney with a 3 year old will be incredibly fun, but a bit challenging; don't forget she'll be getting an overdose of stimuli. Perhaps, if you're staying on site, take a break in the middle of the day, the hottest part of the day, for a nap or a quick swim in the hotel pool. This way your young one won't get too cranky.

Grab yourself one of the Disney guide books, spend a lot of time on Disney.com, pour over the details here and on allearsnet and other sites and then, enjoy.

• My Boss Has No Idea

Awesome! My first trip is in June as well, during the week of Fathers day, but we're leaving our 3yr. old with Grandma/Grandpa. She'll join us next time for sure, but this 1st trip is for mommy and daddy to par-tay with the mouse ALL DAY, ALL NITE LONG! NO NAPS!

If your're a Disneyland vet, check out the sticky [Fun] - An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51307) , very informative!

There's a ton of stuff out there to give you the low down on where to go, what to do, what to eat, so choose wisely. I highly recommend http://www.touringplans.com because it details out plans to get the most out of your trip for each WDW park depending on your visit dates/situation (families w/small children, 2 days-1 park, sleep-in days, w/tweens, active seniors, holidays, ultimate rides, etc.) You just put in the date of your trip, and it literally maps out the park and where to go first for least waiting times, whens a good time to eat without the massive crowds, when to set up for fireworks/parades, and on and on. However, there's a cost to use the site to make your itinerary - a whole $8 bucks! Check it out! Or you could just wing it!

Don't forget post a trip report to let us know how it turns out!

COMING IN THE YEAR 2020

Thanks for the great replies. We will be there June 16-22. We like the basic food as far as chicken, fries, haburgers and so on, but I think we are all going to get tired of that by day 7. So, I think the dining plan would be a good option, that way we could sit down each night and have a nice dinner. My only problem with that is. I do not want to miss so much of Disney by having sit down meals everynight. I want to be able to see each firework/illumination shows etc..

I think the dining plan is a good option if you choose to sit down every night...not so much if you choose not to sit down each night. I am so up in the air with that one. I do have the maps for each park. Allears.net has been wonderful help. My dad, mom and husband like steak, seafood and so on. What are the best resturants for those type foods. Not so much hamburger/french fry places.

Thanks!

Also, we are staying at the Pop Century...any thoughts on that?

I've stayed at the All Star music which is similar to pop century because it's also one of Disney's value resorts. I thought the rooms were very good and clean. Nothing really that special but you get the same benefits as the moderate resorts (ie. early admission into the park on certain days and the extra magical hours). The resort exterior itself is very nice from what i've seen. Best part is that you're staying inside Disney. I need to do that some time soon.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Stefnmike View Post
    If I had to pick a Value resort it would be Pop, we stayed there once and it had a cute theme and was an overall fun, family resort.

If you can swing it, I definitely recommend a preferred room, as the walk for any far away building can get tiring, especially at the end of the night from the bus stop.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation though!

• Why can't you tune a fish

You can ask for connected rooms, if you so wish. A mini fridge is an extra charge per day in the POP (as in all values). Just know that if you ask for one.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Disneyland Grandee

I think the dining plan is a good option if you choose to sit down every night...not so much if you choose not to sit down each night. I am so up in the air with that one. I do have the maps for each park. Allears.net has been wonderful help. My dad, mom and husband like steak, seafood and so on. What are the best resturants for those type foods. Not so much hamburger/french fry places.
    Hi Stef and welcome to Micechat!

The table service restaurants at WDW add so much to the whole Disney experience. I personally don't like DL food, but the restaurant selection and food quality at WDW supercedes anything at DL. We make a huge deal of our restaurant ADR's and plan around them because it's that good.

My DH & myself are commando types that never leave the park during the day and stay opening to closing. We usually plan a late afternoon sit down meal to leave our evenings open for the parades and entertainment. Plus, sitting down for a nice meal is a great way to take a much needed break from the walking at all the parks.
    Think of it as a recharge.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

Regarding food some of our favoite place to eat. #1 Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney, my husband still talks about the Onion Rings at the Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom. With a kid I would do some charachter meals we did Goofys Kitchen and Liberty Tree Tavern loved the food and atmosphere but saw basicly the same charachters. I also recommend the Fantasmic Dinner Package, we picked the cheapest place of the list and loved it. Hope that helps some.

MMM I would like aniEarl of Sandwhich right now wished they had one up in WA state. This is such a cheap place to eat.

This is what I recommended someone a couple of weeks ago that was also visiting WDW for the first time:

Magic Kingdom: I usually eat at the counter services because it's cheaper. I recommend the Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace, which opens in the late afternoon during dinner time. Check out the bakery at Main Street. If you want variety, Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe at Tomorrowland or Peco's Bill over at Fronteirland are good options

Epcot: They have many good restaurants at World Showcase. I recommend
    L' Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante at Italy and I've heard good things about the French restaurants. Make sure to check out the French Bakery! To save money, counter service here is very good. I recommend Sunshine Seasons at the Land, or the Electric Umbrella for variety and the self serving refreshments services. If you like Japanese food, check out the counter service Matsu-no-ma Lounge at Japan.

MGM: I really never eat here much.

Animal Kingdom: I usually eat at the counter services. Check out Restaurantosaurus.

More information and ratings for restaurants at WDW go to http://www.allearsnet.com

They are really helpful there at that site.

I would recommend to get the parks early to check out the major attractions. I hope this helps and enjoy your vacation

while using your sit down credit for dinner will give you the most "bang for your buck" you don't have to schedule it that way. when i use the plan i use my table service for the latest lunch reservation possible, and use my counter service for a meal later at night.

le cellier in epcots world showcase has great steak.
    i also recommend Raglan Road at DTD - good food and great beer on tap.
    tusker house in animal kingdom has great counter service.
    boma in AKL has a great dinner buffet, plus your daughter will enjoy seeing the animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast