Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: What is your favorite "oddball" attraction NEAR WDW

It's closed now, but I liked the Hard Rock Vault that was down the street from Wonderworks. They moved the Titanic exhibit into the building it was in. I loved the FAO Schwartz that used to be up the road there too but sadly that's closed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    Mystery Fun House! (long gone)
    My family went there when back in 1990 (I was 10). My cousin hit me accidentally with her golf club for the mini golf (I'm still bitter...don't ask).

Also, we kids got a kick out of watching our moms and our grandma (our grandma took all three of her daughters and all their kids to WDW. We stayed at the Viscount...good memories) on the rotating thingy that you have to walk through (like in "Grease"). My mom got on her hands and knees because she was dizzy, and grabbed my grandma's ankle to steady herself! They were all arguing and looked so funny (particularly since all of us kids made it "safely" through.

Good times...

Oh, and I am also a Chick-Fil-A fan! When I visited my brother in Charleston, SC last month, I kept begging him to go there...

...mmm, waffle fries...
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• We'll hold them at bay

Islands of Adventure
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

...mmm, waffle fries...
    Single-handedly the BEST fast food fries EVER! Just thinking about them gives me warm fuzzies. I probably eat there at least once a week.

• out & about

I try to avoid I-Drive. talk about Ghetto! reminds me too much of home. ha ha

Anyway... I do like the Go-Karts! Thats some serious fun!
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I also like to hit Winn Dixie and Waffle House (we don't have 'em in New Jersey) and a souvenir shop or two.
    Since you mention eateries and drinkeries...

Both now long gone, but would love to see them again:

JoAnn's Chili Bordello..."16 Varieties Of Chili Served In An Atmosphere Of Sin!"...in an old home in downtown Orlando. As one blog put it:

The slogan was something like 17 varieties of chili served in an atmosphere of sin, and was the cue for everything else. The place was decked out as a Hollywood version of a New Orleans whorehouse flocked wallpaper, red everything and the waitresses wore underwear. Really. Merry Widow corsets with garters, stockings and panties. Honestly, I think Playboy Bunnies wore more...

Believe it or not, this was actually a nationwide chain, and it pre-dated Hooters! And also believe it or not...dispite its lech factor...it was a family joint! Just uber bizzaro. The ladies were really nice though and provided fun and eye candy with lunch or dinner (food was pretty decent, too). Lot's of Imagineers, Disney Legends, and executives could be found there on any given day. Hey...Disney wasn't the only one doing "themed" restaurants!

The house that used to be the Chili Bordello is now the home of Babbo Wine Bar & Cafe...a very nice hang if you're in the area.

Big Bamboo...Oh what memories. This one I really miss. Another hangout of Disney Imagineers, Cast, Executives, and locals and lucky visitors that just happened to stumble across the place. Disney Legend Ralph Kent had his own dedicated stool at the bar. The walls were packed with Disney name tags, original art, and all sorts of other fun Disney crap. A collectors dream! You just had to see it. Almost every Disney project team celebrated the completion of their new attraction at "the Boo" with wild parties. A converted house in a muddy field that after rains would often strand cars behind or in "Lake Bamboo." Cocktail Napkins were a roll of toilet paper! Their signature drink, "The Big Bamboo" was a lethal concoction of various fruit juices and rums that could prime a carburetor in a pinch. Disney's Van France and Ralph Kent used to hold court (and each other up) there in the old days. Owner Bruce ran a tight ship though, and routinely turned down offers of millions of dollars for this prime piece of real estate off 192. He died, and sometime thereafter...a fire gutted the place. A couple of longtime local customers keep the web site going though:

http://www.bigbamboolounge.com/

Onetime pitcher, manager and broadcaster of the Houston Astros...Larry Dierker...loved the Big Bamboo so much (the team hung out at The Boo during their Orlando spring training sessions) that he built his own version..."Larry's Big Bamboo"...as an homage, at Houston's new Minute Maid Park:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/im...ys_200x130.jpg

Both were "oddball" Orlando area kinda of places in their own way. But lots of fun.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Opus... those outfits look like the Gaslight Steakhouse at the hotel at Ohare airport as well. But that was a steakhouse. Had quite a few good meals there waiting for flights

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Do they still have that huge orange? I think it was a tourist shop? it's been a long time!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Do they still have that huge orange? I think it was a tourist shop? it's been a long time!
    It was there last time I was in that area in January. It's called "The Big Orange Gift Shop." Been there forever!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    It was there last time I was in that area in January. It's called "The Big Orange Gift Shop." Been there forever!
    Ooh, thanks!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    We were getting drunk at some bar at the plaza thing next to Wonderworks.. good thing I saw that building on our way TO the bar.. would have probably wigged me out pretty bad on the way back out if I hadn't

For me, not that it is oddball, but I have to have at least one breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

All the cheesy places along Hwy 192 on our way to Cracker Barrel are pretty funny just to look at, but I would never visit any of them.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Since you mention eateries and drinkeries...
    Opus, you always know about the coolest places . . . you are such a wealth of info!!!
    ~~Jodi~~

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    My favorite oddball attraction near WDW? That's easy! Disney-MGM Studios.

Ummmm . . .
    ~~Jodi~~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123