Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 99
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    This was originally a post within the Contemporary DVC concept art thread, but I really think it is a subject deserving of it's own thread for discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    It'd be interesting if someday Disney decides to reopen plans to build a Venetian or Persian, or even Asian resort, but I don't think it would ever happen, Vegas beat them to it.
    Ah ha! Now you're opening a new can of worms that I have been just waiting for the opportunity to open myself in a seperate thread.

    The EPCOT resort hotels were mistakes, and the area around EPCOT is where the Asian and Venetian should have ultimately been built. Just as the hotels in the Magic Kingdom resort area mimic the different lands of the Magic Kingdom (Grand Floridian - Main Street USA, Polynesian - Adventureland, Contemporary - Tomorrowland and the Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness - Frontierland) so should the hotels around EPCOT have been themed around that park, specifically World Showcase. The Yacht and Beach Clubs, the Boardwalk...what the hell do they have to do with EPOCT? How do they relate? Not only that, but Disney built three hotels all right next to each other that all mimic about the same time periods. Stupidity!!! But this is all Michael Eisner could see. All he could think was that everthing Disney built had to be about "nostalgia". In the case of the themed hotels, he was off. Around EPCOT would have been the perfect place to build the Asian Resort, the Venitian Resort, and in place of the Persian, I would have suggested instead the Morroccan Resort. The hotels could have been built around the perimeter of World Showcase, connected by a canal with boat transportation. The boats on this canal could have been Gondolas, Dhows, and Thai style river boats, as well as the "Friendship Boats" currently found. In addition, it would have played better into the resorts name - Walt Disney World and the old Mickey globe head logo (which I miss dearly). There is not a single hotel outside of the Magic Kingdom area that I find thematically interesting in the least, save for perhaps the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and that is pretty boring too as it's just an African version of the Wilderness Lodge (albeit with views of real live animals). Oh but the Asian, Venetian, and how I would have loved a Morroccan themed hotel all around EPCOT!

    Don't even get me started on those monstrosities, the Dolphin and Swan hotels.

  2. #2

    • May the F=ma be with you
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hobroken
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    It would have been a great idea to build a Venitian themed resort 20 years ago. Now is not the right time since it would be so difficult to build and theme a resort without being a Portofino Bay "look alike." I understand that the architecture of Venice is different from that of Portofino but basiclly, all Italian architecture and design is finised with colored stucco. It would look almost exactly the same. The interior of course would be a bit different encompensationg a much more modern, festive theme.
    This project had to be built when it was planned. I believe that now is not the time to begin to construct a resort similar to Portofino Bay.



    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

  3. #3

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Yes, Professor Marlin was just talking about this in our last lecture. There also was an idea for an Italian themed hotel. While these ideas might seem weird to us, themed hotels weren't as big as they are now. Also, the idea behind most of them was the same basic hotel room with minor changes to furniture, such as different paintings, color bed spreads, etc.

    In the Comedy Warehouse Lobby area by the restrooms there is an old map with some sketches for some of these hotels... does anyone happen to have a photo of that?

    It would be interesting if more of these hotels would've been build.

  4. #4

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,687

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    While these ideas might seem weird to us, themed hotels weren't as big as they are now.
    Exactly.. it wasn't until the Mirage and the boom on the Vegas strip after that.. that these themed hotels got as intense as they are expected now

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    I believe that now is not the time to begin to construct a resort similar to Portofino Bay.
    Well that's part of my point. What I suggested is what they should have done back then, not what they should do now. Key phrases in my post are "would have been" and "could have been." If they were going to do what I suggest now, then they'd be bulldozing the Yacht and Beachclubs, the Boardwalk, and the Swan and Dolphin hotels and I'd be very happy about that. But we're stuck with those hotels now for eternity.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    743

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Personally I like the Yacht and Beach clubs and the Boardwalk. You can bulldoze the Swan and Dolphin, but I like the atmosphere at the Disney owned hotels there.

  7. #7

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    In the Comedy Warehouse Lobby area by the restrooms there is an old map with some sketches for some of these hotels... does anyone happen to have a photo of that?

    It would be interesting if more of these hotels would've been build.
    The map that you speak of actually was artwork that hung in the rooms at the Contemporary in the late 70s.

    It just shows the Asian, Persian and Venetian resorts originally planned.

    All sorts of resorts were planned over the years ... from those above by the original designers ... to things like Eagle Point Lodge (the first incarnation of a Wilderness Lodge type resort) ... to the Mediterranean Resort that was to go between the TTC and Contemporary, but wasn't built in the early 90s because the land is unstable ... to more recent projects like Kingdom Suites, Buffalo Junction, the Bonnet Creek DVC resort and a Hawaiian themed budget resort that wound up being the Pop Century ... and likely dozens of other concepts in between.

  8. #8

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Well that's part of my point. What I suggested is what they should have done back then, not what they should do now. Key phrases in my post are "would have been" and "could have been." If they were going to do what I suggest now, then they'd be bulldozing the Yacht and Beachclubs, the Boardwalk, and the Swan and Dolphin hotels and I'd be very happy about that. But we're stuck with those hotels now for eternity.
    I have no problem at all with those resorts ... the Epcot resort area is beautiful. The resorts are very nice ... the Swan and Dolphin (while I can agree they were ill-placed) are two of the best resorts at WDW in terms of rooms, dining and recreation quality.

    If I were going to remove some 'resorts' I'd start with Pop Century and move on to the All Stars ...

  9. #9

    • The one, the only...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,852

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    You are absolutely right NickCharles, that plan for the hotels to mirror the park would have been excellent. That would have been the real Disney magic. I think that the three hotels near Epcot are too similar in their theme. And of course, the Swan and Dolphin are utterly hideous in their present locations. Their height causes all kinds of problems in immersion at the resort. Great job in explaining about the hotels!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan
    .................................

    Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    It would have been a great idea to build a Venitian themed resort 20 years ago. Now is not the right time since it would be so difficult to build and theme a resort without being a Portofino Bay "look alike." I understand that the architecture of Venice is different from that of Portofino but basiclly, all Italian architecture and design is finised with colored stucco. It would look almost exactly the same. The interior of course would be a bit different encompensationg a much more modern, festive theme.
    This project had to be built when it was planned. I believe that now is not the time to begin to construct a resort similar to Portofino Bay.
    Look no further than the Hotel MiraCosta in Tokyo DisneySea to see what Walt Disney Imagineering could've done with an Italian theme. The Hotel MiraCosta is even better than the Venetian in Las Vegas and is by far the best Disney hotel ever built.

    http://www.mouseplanet.com/tokyo/tdstour/tdstour1.htm
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus View Post
    Personally I like the Yacht and Beach clubs and the Boardwalk. You can bulldoze the Swan and Dolphin, but I like the atmosphere at the Disney owned hotels there.
    Correct me if I a wrong, but Disney does own the Swan and Dolphin Hotels as well. They just have other companies operating them as an "expense-savings" for Disney Co.

    And Nick dear... DO tell us how you feel about them Swan and Dolphin hotels (aka Swan and big Fish resorts)

  12. #12

    • May the F=ma be with you
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hobroken
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Look no further than the Hotel MiraCosta in Tokyo DisneySea to see what Walt Disney Imagineering could've done with an Italian theme. The Hotel MiraCosta is even better than the Venetian in Las Vegas and is by far the best Disney hotel ever built.

    http://www.mouseplanet.com/tokyo/tdstour/tdstour1.htm
    That is perfectly fine. But would you like to see TWDC construct a resort that would be very similar to Portofino Bay that is no more than 8 miles away?



    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

  13. #13

    • Say no to Assimilation
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where its hot hot hot!
    Posts
    918

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Correct me if I a wrong, but Disney does own the Swan and Dolphin Hotels as well. They just have other companies operating them as an "expense-savings" for Disney Co.

    And Nick dear... DO tell us how you feel about them Swan and Dolphin hotels (aka Swan and big Fish resorts)

    "The Swan and Dolphin are operated by hotel chains, not Disney, but are considered on-site resorts with most of the privileges of the others."
    taken from
    http://www.mbsc.com/best-of-disney.htm#RS

    and

    "In addition, two hotels, the Walt Disney World Swan and the Walt Disney World Dolphin, with an aggregate capacity of approximately 2,300 rooms, are independently operated on property leased from the Company near Epcot."
    from http://stocks.us.reuters.com/stocks/...1-ArticlePage1
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill




  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    New article on Jim Hill Media about the missing hotels of WDW, the Asian, Persian and Venetian. Also talks about how the Wilderness Lodge was actually part of the original Master Plan of WDW, along with the aforementioned three hotels. Shows concept of another hotel that Einser wanted but (thankfully) was never built.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 04-23-2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Link to other forum.

  15. #15

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: The Missing Hotels of WDW and The Ones That Were Mistakes

    i thought that the reason the venetian wasn't done was also questions about the stability of land in the area . i love the yacht and beach club resorts as well as the boardwalk area. the rooms are fun and the "mini waterpark" pool is great!!!plus they are just a boatride or walk away from epcot. they also have some of the best restaurants on property.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. One of DCA's Bigggest Mistakes
    By merlinjones in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 04:03 PM
  2. Miracle in MO- two missing boys found alive- one missing since 2002
    By Nephythys in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 01:22 PM
  3. Parenting Mistakes to Avoid
    By Morrigoon in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 01:11 PM
  4. Movie Mistakes
    By TinkPink in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •