Animal Kingdom vs. Sea World

Is Animal Kingdom or Sea World more enjoyable for kids? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Banned User

Re: Animal Kingdom vs. Sea World

Depends how old your kids are and whether they are interested in animals. Both parks offer kids areas, Sea World has Shamu's Happy Harbor and DAK has the Dinosaur digs. DAK excels in theming, while Sea World is a straight forward experience. If you think your kids will be amused by animal shows that border on the preachy side, then go to Sea World. At least they have one kids' Coaster in the Happy Harbour area.
    If you think your kids will be more entertained by Mickey and the gang and enjoy shows featuring Disney characters, and rides that border on the preachy side.. then take thm to DAK.

Both parks excel in presenting animals to guests... again DAK does this better in highly themed areas where are Sea World is more traditional... sea creatures in pool exhibits.

It all comes down to knowing what your kids want. Similarly, I would also recommend Busch Gardens for animal exhibits, which are better themed than those at Sea World, but's that only my opinion.

The one advantage that Sea World has over anything at Disney is that you can actually pet the dolphins. I know this isn't much, but I loved being able to do it.

I honestly think that instead of a fictional Beastly Kingdom, Disney should build an aquatic themed section of Animal Kingdom. There is a vast amount of species that are unaccounted for at that park. Yes, I know Epcot has the Living Seas, but it's just not the same.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

The rides at DAK seem more kid-friendly in general... I guess it depends on how old your kids are...
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Visit The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets and Mickeypedia!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I LOVE Ak....but, Sea World...yeah, it doesn't really compare. I LOVE LOVE Seaworld...although, we'll be skipping it this year in favor of Ak. SeaWorld gets BIG points from me for having Manatees (my favorite animal). The new Shamu show is amazing. It's called Believe...and it was really good. Clyde and Seamore is hilarious. There's penguins, fish, sharks, polar bears, a place to pet and feed dolphins....it's great fun. However, it is lacking in the ride department. There's something similar to Splash Mt...a flume ride. There's a thrill ride...the Kraken (which my hubby LOVED)...and there's a simulator ride that takes you to meet the polar bears....small children cannot ride..they have to walk through to the exhibit area. That's about it. SeaWorld..lives up to it's name...it's Sea creatures...big and small...it has about everything.

Ak...it's got great rides...the safari, Everest, and the rapids. And it's a great place to see my other favorite animals...Tigers, Cheetahs and LIons. This is more of a zoo. So, if you like furry cuddly animals..this is your place. The animals aren't really in cages...you feel (on the safari) like you could really be in Africa...my daughter (4) LOVED the rapid ride....and we all loved the Lion King Show. It was amazing too.

So...it's really..what is your taste? Cuddly....or watery?

• This space for rent

It might depend on the children's ages.

Sea World has recently stepped up it's offerings for smaller children, last year it was the addition of 3 kid friendly rides back in Shamu's Happy Harbor including the Shamu Express coaster, and they're adding 3 more kid friendly rides right now, including a sea character themed carousel. SW has also added a seasonal show starring Elmo and some of his friends from Sesame Street, and there will be Sesame Street characters for meet n greets eventually.

Kids usually like the 3rd and 4th "acts of Odyssea(the Human Slinky, and then the Trampolining Penguins.) Sea World's Pets Ahoy show also is very well done and a kid favorite too. The kids always seem to really like the sea lion show as well. Like was mentioned before they can feed and pet the dolphins as well as the stingrays, and they can also feed the sea lions at Pacific Point Preserve.

I always notice younger and up to teen aged kids really getting excited during both Believe killer whale show, and also at Blue Horizons, the dolphin and whale show with some cirque type human acrobatic performances thrown in.

So like the other posters have said it would depend on what the children are into and like.

Although both parks feature animals, they are different. Sea World is more an aquatic park, and Animal Kingdom is more a wild animal park. Both parks are great, and both are great for kids. Which would your kids be better entertained by is more a choice you need to make based on what your kids enjoy. If they like Dolphins, Whales and Polar Bears or Penguins, Go Sea World. If they are wowed by Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my, then go to Animal Kingdom

Thanks for all the info! I guess I'll ask my kiddos what they prefer.

• most magical vaca ever

My kids absolutely LOVE Sea World- if we go to WDW they know we HAVE to go to SW too!

They are 9 and 13 yrs old now-

The dolphins are the best!!! We could spend the whole day there
    ~~~~~~

• "There's always my way"

I don't really like to compare Sea World or any other parks to Disney. The problem is Disney just sets a high bar on entertainment for all ages. Both parks are very much kid friendly. But Animal Kingdom has a lot of animals and the disney characters. I would suggest Animal Kingdom over Sea World. Either way, you get to see a lot of animals at both parks and you get to learn to a lot about them. But remember, Sea World is based more on aquatic animals, which Animal Kingdom has the majority of land animals.

Disney should built a version of a DisneySea here but add animals to compete with Sea World. That should be the fifth park in Florida!

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• Attn. Space Travelers....

SeaWorld might be more "educational" to the kids....they have great rides, like Kraken and Journey to Atlantis, and if the kids are old/tall enough to ride, awesome!! Sea World will be the better choice if your kids really love animals and dont mind the lack of themeing and "magic" per say.

If you want more themeing and magic, DAK is your choice!! Lots to explore there. Not as much focus on the wildlife, but you can go on Safari and meet animals of the Serenghetti, take a plunge down the Kali River Rapids, discover prehistoic adventure on Dinosaur!, or even go in search of the famed Yeti on Expredition Everest!!

I feel like DAK might keep a kids attention more than Sea World, unless your focus will be the animals and such. You definately interact with the sea life more at SeaWorld than the animals at DAK, but again...ask the kiddies themselves :-D
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• "There's always my way"

totally agree with Space Junk.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT1982 View Post
    totally agree with Space Junk.
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.