Building works at AKL

I am staying at AKL in August. I have been warned about the construction works going on regarding the new DVC resort. I don't fancy the idea of flying 4,000 miles to stay at a building site with the associated noise and dust. Am I right to be concerned? Or are the building works not a problem? If you have stayed there recently, I would love to hear what you think.

• Inappropriate

Re: Building works at AKL

Hey i'm staying there the end of may, and I got a warning letter too. Anyone?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• It was not ME

Disney tries very hard to make sure that construction does not bother the guests, because they know you are there on vacation. Most of the time they send the letters just to give you a head up, and to let you know this is going on.

When I worked for one of the construction companies that did a lot of work for Disney, one of our biggest jobs was keeping stuff away from the guests. I think you will still enjoy the AKL.

• Yes?

I was just at AKL in March and never noticed anything except for very early one morning while we were waiting to go on the Sunrise Safari in the concierge lounge, a couple of construction workers walked by with a cart with some equipment on it. I never heard hammering, sawing or any other construction noise. I would think with all the animals at that resort they will do their best not to disturb the animals with the construction and by that same note, the guests shouldn't be bothered either. They probably sent the letter out to just cover themselves if anyone wants to make a big stink about not knowing about the construction.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• WDW FAN

they have quiet construction hours, i think from 8pm to 10am. at least they did while they were working on the contemporary

Thanks for the feedback.

For those that want to know, here's how I sorted this one out:
    If AKL is very busy then there is no flexibility in keeping guests away from the construction areas. This is a particular issue as until July they are working inside the building. If you are in the wrong wing and the place is full then you are stuck with it and it's likely all the other hotels you could be moved to will be full as well. After July work should be outside. So it should be less of an issue as the work will be away to the side. If AKL is quiet then you can be kept away from the construction nose and it shouldn't be a problem.
    I am going in August and if the inside works overrun then I could have a problem. I am spending a lot of money coming here and I want to relax.
    Bottom line: I have transferred to Wilderness Lodge! I am disappointed not to go to AKL as it is a remarkable hotel but my family is stressing themselves over what they might find. So, I have taken that out of the equation. I can still go to Boma and Jiko, now all I need to do is get those reservations sorted out if there's any free times!!! The free DDP I have got is great but having to pre book destroys all the spontaneity of a holiday. I am off before I start sounding like Kevin Yee.

• Banned User

I would request an upgrade to a better (read: more expensive) hotel on the property for your troubles....if the noise was indeed a problem upon your arrival there. However, it would be a pity not to enjoy this particular facility because it is very nice.

• Pixiedust?

My family was going to stay at the AKL the second week of August, but we decided because of construction, we're going to stay at the Poly instead.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

• We'll hold them at bay

You should be already alright as long as you don't mind sweaty workers using your toilet now and then
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom