Thread: PR Disney?

Red Face PR Disney?

There's been a rumor going aroud PR saying that Walt actualy considered building WDW here on the island before choosing Florida because (as usual) the goverment took tooooo long to approve the idea. Can anyone prove or reject this theory???

• Banned User

Re: PR Disney?

AS far as i know, its an urban rumor. much like the Disneyland Texas.

he may have considered it while scouting locations, but chose Florida for its east coast location, and cheap land, not to mention easy to get to by interstate. Even if they do get jammed.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by drimergirl View Post
    There's been a rumor going aroud PR saying that Walt actualy considered building WDW here on the island before choosing Florida because (as usual) the goverment took tooooo long to approve the idea. Can anyone prove or reject this theory???
    Haven't heard of that one before. Sounds like an urban legend though.

BTW, welcome to Micechat!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by drimergirl View Post
    Puerto Rico was never concidered as a possible site for WDW or any other Disney initiatives. The only time Walt ever went to Puerto Rico was to research the Morro Castle as an inspiration for his POTC attraction. Fast forward to recent times, and the only reason why WDW is interested in Puerto Rico is because they have found that most Puerto Ricans love Disney and are willing to take low paying jobs in less desirable positions, regardless of how well educated they might be.. but since many are concidering moving to Orlando (as quite many have already), the allure of WDW is something they bank on at Casting to fill their quota. It's less messy for Disney and Puerto Ricans as well due to the Commonwealth status, which requires no Passports, no green cards, no Visas...etc, since Puerto Ricans are already US citizen and should be knowledgeable in english language. Although seems to me no one speaks english in Orlando anymore...

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Although seems to me no one speaks english in Orlando anymore...

I can completely agree with you on that, almost all janitors at MK speak Creole, and then there's the tourist population....
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post
    I can completely agree with you on that, almost all janitors at MK speak Creole, and then there's the tourist population....
    What tourist population? I was talking about most of Orlando/Kissimmee residents. The tourist population is mostly from the UK and they speak the uppity Queen's language.

Wow TDLFan I have rearly know anyone from outside PR that knows so much about our status. Makes me feel happy that we don't go completly unnoticed. And it's true about most Puerto Ricans loving Disney, don't know why though (other than the obvious Disney Rocks!!!!!!!) And thank you all for clearing up my doubt.

P.S. And yes the POTC ride is modled after The Morro Fort in San Juan. Again impressed that someone knew that.

• Banned User

drimergirl... if you ever go to Disneyland Paris.. you should ride IASW. In the latin American section of the ride, there is one of the dolls dressed in "jibarito" outfit (like the ones worn by the Areito folk group), wearing a "pava".

Thanks for the suggestion. I've alway wanted to go to DLP now even more.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Although seems to me no one speaks english in Orlando anymore...
    They are all Cuban?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    They are all Cuban?
    No. Cubans seem to be the majority in south Florida, but here in Orlando, Puerto Rican are probably the largest latin american population. We are also seeing a lot of folks from the Dominican Republic and Colombia moving into Orlando, however, most of those seem to be transplants from New York or other Northeast areas.

• Meega, nala kwishta!!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Puerto Rico was never concidered as a possible site for WDW or any other Disney initiatives. The only time Walt ever went to Puerto Rico was to research the Morro Castle as an inspiration for his POTC attraction. Fast forward to recent times, and the only reason why WDW is interested in Puerto Rico is because they have found that most Puerto Ricans love Disney and are willing to take low paying jobs in less desirable positions, regardless of how well educated they might be.. but since many are concidering moving to Orlando (as quite many have already), the allure of WDW is something they bank on at Casting to fill their quota. It's less messy for Disney and Puerto Ricans as well due to the Commonwealth status, which requires no Passports, no green cards, no Visas...etc, since Puerto Ricans are already US citizen and should be knowledgeable in english language. Although seems to me no one speaks english in Orlando anymore...
    You sure you don't mean If You Had Wings because that ride actually had El Morro.

As for Puerto Rican Disney... that would have sucked. There's not enough space for Walt Disney World.