Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• "There's always my way"

Re: World Showcase Restaurant Changes

i must agree with many of you with the prices of these restaurants. I find myself always eating at either the counter services or leave the park to another restaurant. It's just too pricy for my taste at these parks.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT1982 View Post
    i must agree with many of you with the prices of these restaurants. I find myself always eating at either the counter services or leave the park to another restaurant. It's just too pricy for my taste at these parks.
    I agree with this to a point. I usually hit the counter services when I'm at Epcot but there are days that I go to one of the countries, especially Le Cellier because the food and the service is unbelievable.

I don't know, I guess sometimes I don't mind paying for the experience as long as the food is good mind you.

France I will never eat at again, melted butter indeed.

• and too all a good fright

I am looking forward to the changes. Yes, the quality can be variable and the restaurants a bit pricey, but for the one time a year I visit I am willing to pay for the atmosphere and the conveinence of not leaving the park. I can eat at Carrabas anytime.

Having said that, if I were a local, I doubt I would frequent these restaurants much.

Side Note - The revamped Lotus Blossom looked cool, but the food was horrible. In the words of Jim Gaffigan "Did I eat it or rub it on my face? Ow my back hurts."

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well.. no one is arguing that those restaurants only serve food based on what they think it's the real thing and what have you... But the point being debated is not that, but this one: They are cheaper places to eat,with more selection, and in some cases...better quality food, than those served in WDW' over priced restaurants. If you think you are getting food that really represent the culinary flavors of each World Showcase nation at EPCOT, as opposed to the fare we get outside the property, well, you are then quite mistaken as well.
    I don't think I am getting authentic food, most of the Disney restaurants are or will soon be owned by chains. I don't think it is worth leaving the resort complex to get the same food for $3-5 cheaper. Theme park food is overpriced, we all know that. I don't go that often so, to me, it is not worth leaving property to save a few bucks. Compared to a lot of other amusement parks, Disney's food options are pretty good. I am sure if I lived there like you do, I would think otherwise.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Mouse Extra Dave

Just like everywhere, some places are better than others with delivering authentic food. Japan, France, Canada, and even Italy all do a good job in that regard. So does Mexico. Whether you think they are a good value is a totally different discussion. But you must change the value based on location. Who in their right mind would pay 5 bucks for a hot dog? Or 8 bucks for a beer? The 30,000 people going to the local MLB stadium, that's who. And it happens every night.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Lonestar Louisianian

For the most part I agree that most (ok, probably all) the WS eateries are overpriced. I also think most people traveling to the World already know this. While many of the restaurants in WS are not worth the money and have sub-par food/service, I feel there are a couple of exceptions.

When we travel to WDW we are on a limited budget (as I think most are) and to help stretch that budget we only eat out 2 or 3 times during our stay. The rest of the time it's cooking in the room (soup, sandwhiches, etc.). We go out to eat not because we think it's authentic food or that it is reasonably priced, we go out because, as a family that is separated by three states, we are all together and want to experience something that we cannot find where we live. It just so happens that Le'Cellier and/or Marakesh fills that requirement.

Those are the only two places in WS that I still have faith in their product. I've experienced almost all of the other places and found them lacking. As for authenticity, I could care less. I do not expect it and know that to get the truly authentic cuisine of a particular country, you need to go there (heck that's part of the fun).

Here's my take on it. Sure, they're overpriced. But go to a sporting event or a fair, and tell me the prices, and quality of food, are any better. What Disney provides on top of the food is a nice atmosphere. I've been to all of the World Showcase restaurants through the years and the nice atmosphere is consistent. The food quality has been hit and miss. I don't particularly like San Angel Inn for example, but then again, I live in Tucson, where we have some outstanding Mexican food. But the atmosphere at San Angel is great. I don't particulary like the menu at Biergarten, but the atmosphere and entertainment more than make up for it (at least for me). But I would put the lasagna at Alfredos up against any of the other Italian restaurants I've been to. I'm excited to hear they're opening an Alfredo's restaurant this year in Las Vegas. The cheese soup at Le Cellier is outstanding. I've had great food at Nine Dragons, but I rarely go because it's hard to justify spending that much on Chinese food when I'm perfectly happy with the 6.95 lunch buffet here in Tucson and with PF Chang's across the street from where I work. But in a way, that's my point. I can go to PF Chang's anytime I want. I can go to Ale House, I can go to Carabbas, so eating at those places while I'm at Disney World isn't special. There's not a single World Showcase restaurant I can think of that I wouldn't go back to, even taking prices into consideration. Actually the only one I really don't like is Liberty Inn in the America Pavilion. Now THERE is where they could put an Ale House!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Here's my theory...

I save up so when I go on vacation.. I don't worry what something costs. Will I spend more then I normally would? Yes. Do I spend thriftly while not on vacation so I can afford to 'let loose' later? Yup.

Its vacation... live it while you can I say

• Too far from Disney World

Does anyone have any info on the new China tea kiosk? I'd like to know if we can buy packages of stuff to take home as well as stuff to drink in the parks....
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the new China tea kiosk? I'd like to know if we can buy packages of stuff to take home as well as stuff to drink in the parks....
    Here's a recent menu. I am looking forward to trying a few things on Sunday myself...

Frozen Flavored Tea Drinks
    Strawberry Oolong Tea Slush (non-alcoholic) $4.29
    Mango Green Tea Slush (non-alcoholic) $4.29
    Peach Oolong Tea Schnapps Slush $5.99
    Green Tea Plum Wine Slush $5.99

Flavored Iced Tea
    Flavored Iced Oolong Tea $3.79
    Peach
    Chocolate with Coffee Jam
    Flavored Iced Green Tea $3.79
    Lemon-Lychee
    Mango

Bottled Beverages
    Bottled Green Tea (no sugar added) $2.99
    Bottled Oolong Tea (no sugar added) $2.99
    Dasani Bottled Water $2.00 (DDP snack)
    Canned Soda - Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta $1.59 (DDP snack)

Hot Beverages
    Hot Chinese Tea $3.79
    Ginseng-Oolong
    Jasmine
    Dragon Well
    Decaffeinated Green Tea

Beer and Wine
    Tsing Tao Beer $4.79
    Tsing Tao Pure Draft $4.79
    Macau Beer $4.79
    Plum Wine $4.49

Ice Cream
    Green Tea Ice Cream $2.99
    Caramel Ginger Ice Cream $2.99
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well.. no one is arguing that those restaurants only serve food based on what they think it's the real thing and what have you... But the point being debated is not that, but this one: They are cheaper places to eat,with more selection, and in some cases...better quality food, than those served in WDW' over priced restaurants. If you think you are getting food that really represent the culinary flavors of each World Showcase nation at EPCOT, as opposed to the fare we get outside the property, well, you are then quite mistaken as well.
    The restaruants at EPCOT are one of the reasons we enjoy EPCOT. No, I do not feel that they are over priced. I feel they are quality table service restaurants. If one likes the restaurant offerings (many do) they should go there. If not, eat where you please. If someone enjoys the food in the WS restaurants, how can they be mistaken about what they enjoy?

Just MHO< YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    The restaruants at EPCOT are one of the reasons we enjoy EPCOT. No, I do not feel that they are over priced. I feel they are quality table service restaurants. If one likes the restaurant offerings (many do) they should go there. If not, eat where you please. If someone enjoys the food in the WS restaurants, how can they be mistaken about what they enjoy?

Just MHO< YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

That's exactly how I feel too. As to the pricey thing, I have yet to be any amusement park or sporting event that the prices weren't higher than the regular restaurants. In my book the atmosphere at most of the WS restaurants more than makes up for what I pay.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

When I go to WDW I always have to make time for a dinner trip to the Ale House. After living and working there it's just as much a destination spot as the parks themselves. Epcot has never been my favorite as far as restaurants, anyway. I only really like the teppanyaki one in Japan.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by MissTheMouse View Post
    I know one thing... I have always opted for leaving Epcot early if in the mood for Italian to travel over to Carrabba's instead.
    I. Love. Carrabba's. I have NEVER had a bad meal there. Dammit you got me craving the pollo Rosa Maria with a side of spaghetti now!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    Here's a recent menu. I am looking forward to trying a few things on Sunday myself...

Frozen Flavored Tea Drinks
    Strawberry Oolong Tea Slush (non-alcoholic) $4.29
    Mango Green Tea Slush (non-alcoholic) $4.29
    Peach Oolong Tea Schnapps Slush $5.99
    Green Tea Plum Wine Slush $5.99
    Flavored Iced Tea
    Flavored Iced Oolong Tea $3.79
    Peach
    Chocolate with Coffee Jam
    Flavored Iced Green Tea $3.79
    Lemon-Lychee
    Mango
    Bottled Beverages
    Bottled Green Tea (no sugar added) $2.99
    Bottled Oolong Tea (no sugar added) $2.99
    Dasani Bottled Water $2.00 (DDP snack)
    Canned Soda - Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta $1.59 (DDP snack)
    Hot Beverages
    Hot Chinese Tea $3.79
    Ginseng-Oolong
    Jasmine
    Dragon Well
    Decaffeinated Green Tea
    Beer and Wine
    Tsing Tao Beer $4.79
    Tsing Tao Pure Draft $4.79
    Macau Beer $4.79
    Plum Wine $4.49
    Ice Cream
    Green Tea Ice Cream $2.99
    Caramel Ginger Ice Cream $2.99
    Wow. the prices ... wow!

I can get most of that about a 5 minute drive from my house. And all the flavors also come in that damn "bubble" variety.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123