Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• If We Can Dream It...

What would you do in a situation like that?

What situation?

This situation:
    Epcot's can't find a new VP that "works" so they've allowed anyone to apply and guess what.....You applied.

It gets even better, WDC think you've got what it takes and has hired you as Epcot's VP. Their only requirement is that they want you to come up with a master plan for Epcot's future.

So what would your plan look like? From operating hours to new attractions, how would you make Epcot the gem of WDW?
    (I'll save my ideas for a later post.)

P.S. Bonus points to whoever "gets" the title of this thread.
    - Horizonsfan

• May the F=ma be with you

Re: What would you do in a situation like that?

- Wand comes down.
    - If it doesn't want to come down, use explosive agents.
    - Clean the park up a bit more than it is now.
    - Keep FW open on hour later than usual.
    - Upgrade Soarin' to "Soarin' over the World".
    - Upgrade Odysseys status from seasonal to open year round.
    - Get rid of FP at Soarin'.
    - Re-paint the first 2 pylons of SSE to be the same as the rest of the pylons.
    - Bring back the original EPCOT symbols in some shape or form.(ie. The more modern SSE Symbol).
    - Go ahead with construction of the Roman Ruins tour at the Italy Pavillion.
    - Possibly add Australia as a pavillion inbetween Mexico and Norway.
    - Conversion of Millenium Village into another national pavillion such as Greece(in order to keep the skyline balanced).
    - Addition of 2 bridges and 1 Island on the lagoon side of the American Gardens Theater(similar to the one in Italy). There already is one perfect viewing location for IllumiNations, why not add another. Or remove the existing roof over the AG Theater and add a retractable, fabric roof.
    - Ask each of the showcased nation's governments what they would like to see added to their pavillion.
    - Addition of a day time lagoon show. I remember one from about 13 years ago that featured Mickey, Goofy, Donald... flying above the lagoon in motorized gliders. Some fireworks were used as well as stunt boats and water skiers.
    Last edited by WDW Monorail; 05-06-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• If We Can Dream It...

Okay what I would do (a few points will seem like I'm beating a dead horse but oh well):

• removal of painted-on LAL monoliths from SSE
    • removal of wand (wonder how many times this idea will show up..)
    • Cut down on number of ODV carts - mainly focused on the unneccessary pirates carts and the DVC booth(s)
    • Bring back the old in a new way - see this thread: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56027
    • Add a program to make M:S's destination and experience random. This way there's more repeatability to the ride. The possibilities are endless; Jupiter, Pluto, the Sun, a supernova, etc.
    • Find replacements for: Circle of Life, WOL, Imagination!, & UOE
    • Demolish Millenium Village/World Showplace - Unneccessary and uses too much land
    • Create new daytime shows for the World Showcase lagoon - It would be nice to see some activity other than boats on that lagoon during the day.
    • Get an attraction of some kind for: Germany, Italy, Japan, Morrocco, and U.K.
    • Keep the whole park open longer - FW & WS are open from 9 to 10 at minimum
    That's all I can think of for now.
    - Horizonsfan

Make some kind of stadium seating for Illuminations. Something that blended in well like stone steps.

Update Soaring film.

Expand menu at the McDonalds for the kids.
    Love Shaq U 38

Overated State U 24

LSU only 2 time BCS Champions

• Removal of Wand
    • Imagination v4 w/ Dreamfinder & Figment
    • New Dark Ride in Great Britain pavilion similar in style to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    • Mount Fiji Roller Coaster in Japan pavilion
    • Rhine River Cruise in Germany pavilion
    • Brother Bear River Run in Canada pavilion
    • Update to Universe of Energy pavilion
    • Replace Wonders of Life with Wonders of Weather, featuring Stormrider
    • Replace Honey, I Shrunk the Audience with a new 3D film
    • Permanently open Oddysey Pavilion as a restaurant
    • Update Soarin` to feature landmarks of the United States
    • Demolish Milennium Village for a new attraction
    • Bring back Tapestry of Nations to World Showcase
    • Extended Park Hours: Future World stays open later and World Showcase opens earlier to benefit the new additions
    That's about all I can think of for now.

-Skip

• Disney Girl Forever!

Cool Re: What would you do in a situation like that?

• get rid of the dang wand
    • attractions (aka rides, not just movies in 180/360 circle vision that make me sick b/c i want to look at everything at once and end up spinning around and get dizzy ) in all of the world showcases
    • do away with the outpost and replace it with some other country...i.e. Russia
    • replace/add more interesting restaurants in the countries i.e. hookah bar at morocco
    • rather than burgers.....get cultural americana in the american place....KEEP THE FUNNEL CAKES!!
    • bring back the original imagination complete with the giant pin screen thing at the end of the ride and do away with the kodak lab thing
    • bring back horizons/world of motion
    • kick ellen out of the dino-age, but keep bill nye :-D
    • restore the land eatery to how it used to be (what with the fountain and all...keep the food)
    • bring back the village, but only open it seasonally
    • no more honey i shrunk the audience 3-d stuff
    • put snow back in club cool (for us floridians who rarely see the stuff)
    • bring back the tapestry of nations parade
    • possibly make illuminations longer (more fireworks and more fire barge)
    • bring back a daytime thing w/kites over the lagoon (from my parents)
    • VEGGIE VEGGIE FRUIT FRUIT!! (Kitchen Caberet)
    i'll think of more later....my brain needs to reboot
    ~StitchChica

Add Jack Sparrow's head or Nemo to the wand...as if I could love that wand any more...as a matter of fact, not to get too off topic, but I would love to have each park display the name of said park largely on the park's icon, i.e., "Magic Kingdom", in large letters on Cinderella Castle or "Animal Kingdom" suspended above the Tree of Life...oh, and be sure to include either a pirate head or Pixar character on the sign. I want to be sure that if I ever forget which park I'm in, I can A) look up and remember where I am, and B) remember what merchandise I'm supposed to spend all of my money on

Sorry, I guess I'm a bit punchy today!

Here's the deal: Put the "Future" back in Future World (thankfully, Siemens seems to be helping with this). The new shirts selling in Epcot featuring retro 80s logos should be the main theme of the transformation of Epcot. Retro Future (not kitschy), i.e., classic elements combined with ideas and technology for the future. Here's an example: bring back the stunning pre-show from UoE (which was awe-inspring in '82...25 years later, imagine how that can be done with today's technology). I think Ellen is hilarious; however, the movie is outdated. Obviously, energy and conservation is still a huge theme today (unfortunately). UoE should be entirely revised, even *gasp* get rid of the dinosaur scene (oh, and that horrid Ellen AA). Instead of an attraction that is a movie with slow-moving cars, make this an actual attraction. For those of us who miss Horizons and are anticipating the SE rehab, add an interactive element (can never have too many interactive elements in attractions), perhaps allowing guests to somehow "experience" the benefits of alternative energy, or something like that.

I agree with those who want HISTA replaced (I'm 26, and I was 8 when HISTA came out, I think...this movie could not be more outdated - I like the weather idea!). Definitely do something to restore charm and fun to Journey into Imagination. A complete rehaul, please, and bring back the Dreamfinder in some way, shape, or form!

I thought Innoventions was really cool in 1996 (virtual reality - no way!). Now it's a big commercial for video games and is woefully short on actual "innoventions." I'm going to keep pushing the interactive theme here, as I believe in an area called "Future World," guests should actually be able to experience the future, be immersed in it. I'm not too sure, though, about what should go in there right now (I've had a long day and I'm kind of fried...semester's almost over...finish line's just a few days away...)

Also, I agree that more entertainment in WS during the day is advised, as is a parade (no more cost-cutting on entertainment in WS!). Keep people in WS...don't scare them away with movies that people pass by (sorry, Norway!). Encourage more personal encounters with CMs in the countries (my favorite part of WS).

Wonders of Life - some of you will not like this....bulldoze it! Actually, I think the "weather" concept from another post would go well into an attraction to be built in this area (I'm really liking the weather idea...just no more space travel, please!).

I would like to see something in The Living Seas..sorry, The Seas With Nemo and Friends Pavilion, to balance out Nemo. Something keeping with the original theme of The Living Seas. Doesn't have to be an E-Ticket or anything expensive, but I need something here. Right now, Turtle Talk and Nemo are cute little distractions, enjoyable, but the whole pavilion now seems so isolated and doesn't feel like it belongs in the park, IMO. Something's got to tie this in with the rest of FW so it doesn't continue to stick out like a sore thumb, er, fin.

Also, I think it's time for a nighttime spectacular without "Illuminations" in the title.

I concur about Millenium Village. A building that size, which exists pretty much for private parties only, is a huge waste and a disservice to guests.

I agree that Soarin's movie should probably be changed, perhaps include the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, etc. Oh, and let's not forget the rest of The Land. Definitely Circle of Life (my gosh, that's so depressing with the birds in oil and stuff...too depressing, IMO). Living with the Land should be reimagined. In it's CM-less form, it seems less "authentic" to me...oh, and the Nestle placement is a bit too obtrusive to me, particularly since Nestle has one of the worst environmental reputations of any company. It seems very hypocritical to me for them to sponsor an area that focuses on respecting the land and environment. I understand Nestle is the sponsor of The Land, but either practice what you preach, or sponsor something else (off my soap box).

I completely agree with those who want extended park hours.

Um, this is really long. Sorry. I guess this was a great "project" to distract me from my extremely long assignments for the end of the semester. I really enjoy this thread!
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

EPCOT needs a lot of TLC but really it needs more attractions in the World Showcase with the elimination of the movies which may have been great placeholders when the park opened but now simply are boring.

• If We Can Dream It...

I can't believe not more people have voiced their thoughts. We have such vocal people on these boards. Plenty of whom (sometimes myself included) think they know how to run a park and yet, only 7 people have shared their thoughts. Anyone else want to chime in?
    - Horizonsfan

• Why can't you tune a fish

Oh lord I am going to get beat for this answer.

I cannot say what I would do until I got a good look at EPCOTS operation expenses, P&L statements, demographics, and other assorted data.

Sorry if I am looking at this from the eyes of a Manager. My first order of business to increase profits (in a lasting way). That is how I can stay employed.

Taking down the wand is something a lot of people would like to see, but is that REALLY going increase park attendance. I doubt it. What you need to do is make the park more profitable. Clean it up, improve service, increase throughput. Then, and only then, when you have proven yourself, you can spend money on improvements that do not have a direct measureable return, such as taking down the wand.

Somtimes things take time. I have my "pet projects" at work from time to time. The don't impact the bottom line in a direct way, with a fast project payback, but they do improve the company in the long run. I get to do them from time to time because my other projects are right there saving the company dollars in real time.

Disney needs somone with the head of a Manager and the heart of a Disney fan. Heart is great, but it will only get you so far.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Pilot EdForceOne

Oh lord I am going to get beat for this answer.

I cannot say what I would do until I got a good look at EPCOTS operation expenses, P&L statements, demographics, and other assorted data.
    Sorry Dave.. you are speaking like a business man and that means you don't care about Walt's legacy or Disney. The tar and feathering by MC faithful will begin at 9am EST tomorrow

You're dead on... we can make lots of emotional decisions.. which little to no gain.. or we can make decisions that will establish a path to success and clean up the mess as we go.

There are many 'perception' problems that need to be addressed with EPCOT.. and certain many 'direction' problems that a clear path that used to be set. EPCOT used to be an educational experience... that has been severely mangled. Do we want to continue the edu-tainment concept or abandon it? Lets set a course and follow through.

All these 'solutions' without a plan are spaz steps. You see it all the time in the biz world where people go here.. go there.. go there... without any defined path that unifies the decisions.

Certainly I think there are some consistent problems within EPCOT...
    - direction.. are we edu-tainment or thrill? I'd like to see an updated form of the original. When things like the Living Seas opened they were fantastic!
    - age - the foundation pavilions in FW are a disaster. A road to recovery must be established
    - operations - FW needs more hours.. the dining aspect of WS needs to be brought even further into the forefront to make EPCOT a destination people come BACK to after another park and stay late in
    - drive the 'localization' within world showcase even further. Its almost gotten to 'window shopping' now walking around WS. There needs to be more immersion as you walk around WS to each pavilion.. not just if you go down the side street.

Identify the things that are successes and use their momentum
    - icons like SSE are fundamental - that means bringing back the logo.. bringing back figment.. cleaning up the entranceway (and removing distractions like the Wand)
    - bring back the future in EPCOT... EPCOT has lost too much of the forward looking stuff. This takes heavy investment and core technology partners. Innovations needs to be a worlds fair again of the future
    - WS is unique.. it must be focused upon as a destination people come to. Add more experiences to round it out for both teens and older folks

What needs to be done first is identify the flaws and successes and set forth a vision of what the park needs to be. Then prioritize what needs to be adapted to fit that vision.

Right now I think EPCOT's biggest problem is its showing the same flaws that have sunk D-MGM .. EPCOT is on the same path. A loss of identity and enthusiastic direction. With those in place... poor decisions like what has been done to Innovations, Univ of Energy, Journey, would never happen because they would fall so far off your line.

Details like the screen wall in Univ of Energy are those types of details that show the lack of enthusiasm for the vision. That's what needs fixing first.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    All these 'solutions' without a plan are spaz steps. You see it all the time in the biz world where people go here.. go there.. go there... without any defined path that unifies the decisions.

Preach on my friend. The park has no definition. Where is EPCOT trying to go, what is it supposed to become?

I don't think there is a definitive answer right now.

Nemo, for all it's hype (and I find it quite boring actualy) has nothing to do with education. When I first rode it, I thought it was horribly out of place. It does not belong there.

Mission Space - OK, I can make a case for this belonging in FW, expecially if they added something more educational at then end instead of the giant MMOG.

Test Track: - Same thing, I can make a case for this in FW, there is some education involved

Soarin' - Sorry - I love it to death - but where is the education. Sure it fills you with wonder and you marvel at the majesty of the earth, but what do you learn. Heck, re-do Soarin' to soar over the following

Grand Canyon (done)
    Great Pyramid at Giza
    Great Wall of China
    The Moai of Easter Island
    Diquis Spheres of Costa Rica
    Battleship Rock

then for contrast throw in

An open strip mine
    A sewage treatment plant
    A landfill (Fresh Kills is closed, so choose another)

then for the "feel good finish"

Wildibeast migrations
    Penguin rookeries
    Breeching whales

Then when you exit the ride, you are in an "education station" where you learn more about the wonders you just saw, and then .... putting on the business hat here ... a store. Plush animals with a portion of the sale to environmental causes. Books on the items that were in the ride, replicas of things in the ride (heck, i would buy a Maoi statue)

Educational
    Entertaining
    and
    Profitable

Get it sponsored by either a) some environmental group, or b) (better) some company trying to promote its "green" corporate image and POW! more ducats in the hip pocket.

So, when do I start work ?

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• May the F=ma be with you

Where is EPCOT A landfill (Fresh Kills is closed, so choose another)
    Finally after 50 years of stinking up SI!!!!!

Thanks Molinari!!

Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Finally after 50 years of stinking up SI!!!!!

Thanks Molinari!!

Yeah, its not too nice when your claim to fame is home of the worlds largest man made structure - it just happens to be made out of garbage.

You do realize of course, that all closing it did is shift all that garbage somewhere else. Now somebody is getting their land filled up with used diapers, torn socks, and gnawed chicken bones. But then if this was on Sorin' , maybe more people would realize that.

They could make a run over Coney Island as well, for shots of the unique aquatic life that is special to that area.

Somtimes the world is just a dirty dirty place.

-dave

• Attn. Space Travelers....

my first order of business would be to address staffing and labor. EPCOT is a gem and needs the labor to operate later and more efficiently. I'd like to see it open until midnight as it is the most adult park and it has
    IllumiNations at 11:30 now, and possibly in the future. If the park is open past 9 pm, there needs to be adequate staffing for attractions/WS and food/merch. One way to entice employees to stay is to offer a premium pay after 9 pm (something like overtime). This should cover staffing and enable EPCOT to be open later and have more to do in this time....this means FutureWorld can be open too !! YAY!!

The Wand will come down

Body Wars will be re-opened along with its entire pavillion.

Mission Space will get a slight makeover to make the attraction different each time you ride it.

Sidewalks would be gradually replaced over a one year period.

Club cool will feature more sodas and go back to its original form with the cool snowplow and snow.

All rides will get a refurb by 2012, starting with FutureWorld.

More attraction in the Showcase....especially in Japan and Morocco - id like to see a rollercoaster.

....more to come later....
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast