Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

Post Progress on Ticket System Merger including new FastPasses...

As many of you know, the ticket system between Disneyland and Walt Disney World was recently merged together, though the stored data is not always accessible... yet.

Here is a rundown of what will happen in the future:

Disney's eTicket... not to be confused with an E-Ticket attraction like Pirates of the Caribbean, this is a way for people to print their tickets at home with barcodes and use the scanners at the park for admission. Currently, the only way this can work is with the transfer of the data onto a new ticket at admission into the park, or for one time use events without the use of FastPass, such as Disney's Pirate and Princess Party.

Obviously, the use of barcodes is now being favored in place of magnetic strips. As such, the evolution must take place at all locations that magnetic strips are used, including FastPass machines. This is where Disneyland's ticketing system comes in, as well as FastPass. The new concept is fairly simple. Use FastPass machines that can accept magnetic strips and barcodes, and move to the superior FastPass design. As a result, Disneyland's design is superior, thus has been chosen. Currently in beta testing at Kilimanjaro Safaris, the first Disneyland-style FastPasses for WDW have been implemented. You'll be sure to notice some differences, but they are basically the Disneyland design, complete with the larger printed date, and the card-stock like tickets instead of the Heat tempered fax paper that is currently used for WDW FastPasses.

If the test is successful, you can expect to see this new type of FastPass available at all areas of WDW very soon.

The machines can accept magnetic strips and barcodes... ever moving forward to supply the Disney Parks Pass... a type of ticket media that can be used at WDW or at DL, with no need to change the media type. Of course, this means an eventual increase in Disneyland's ticket prices to become the same as WDW's prices as well, but let's not look at that... yet.

My thoughts on the subject are mixed at best. Yes, it's a good idea, I find myself visiting WDW and DL on at least an annual basis, and an annual pass good for both resorts would be of value to me. But the local markets at WDW and DL are very different for visitor make-up. That's percentage wise... because WDW is so much larger. In reality, WDW has about as many APs as DL does. You don't notice it as much though because WDW has four parks instead of two, and Florida is much more spread out than Southern California is. The local hangout park of choice in California is Disneyland, in Florida it's Epcot. Why? There are many reasons, so many, I could write a book about it. So I'm not going to get into that here. But the markets are different, so that's why I'm a bit worried. I'm sure it will straighten itself out, but one thing is for sure, the ticketing system is about to get a lot more complicated.

FastPass included.

• Disney: A Way of Life

Re: Progress on Ticket System Merger including new FastPasses...

complicated?!?!?!
    But I don't like complicated
    "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

• Sock Puppet

Complicated from a tech. side... you as a guest should only see more options given to you... if you want your ticket valid at DL and WDW, etc.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nigel Channing View Post
    Disney's eTicket... not to be confused with an E-Ticket attraction like Pirates of the Caribbean, this is a way for people to print their tickets at home with barcodes and use the scanners at the park for admission. Currently, the only way this can work is with the transfer of the data onto a new ticket at admission into the park, or for one time use events without the use of FastPass, such as Disney's Pirate and Princess Party.
    Yes, like explained here: Disney's eTicket Pilot - 02/16/07.

It should be interesting to see how this changes though.

• Disney: A Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nigel Channing View Post
    Complicated from a tech. side... you as a guest should only see more options given to you... if you want your ticket valid at DL and WDW, etc.
    i like more options
    "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Any chance they'll start allowing cast IDs to let the CM into both resorts? That'd be sweet, especially since my DL AP is up for renewal on the 23rd...

• May the F=ma be with you

The new FPs look pretty nice. The times are written in larger font and easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by ecdlanddude View Post
    Any chance they'll start allowing cast IDs to let the CM into both resorts? That'd be sweet, especially since my DL AP is up for renewal on the 23rd...
    Don't hold your breath anytime soon. That's why there are Main Gates.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Hmm, good point, but I always thought of the main gates as a way to get other people in.

A WDW/DL AP would appeal to the tiniest group of people.

Not saying they won't offer it, as I know it's been talked about for years. But just like a suite in Cindy's Castle, it's still a bad idea.

• Sock Puppet

Well, I've heard of talk of something a little different. Perhaps imagine that Cindy's Castle was the only room option you had...

Blog Entries

I'd love it if the AP was good for Disneyland and WDW. It would make the trip to visit DL that much easier.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Well I don't know about the shared data portion.. but the move to barcodes is definitly the way to go.

This has been discussed several times when people are arguing over the 'media' their AP or ticket is.. and how easily the magnetic strips fail.

Plus.. by moving to a common technology, you can further increase your buying power and reduce your spares inventories.

As for 'shared' ticket info between the major parks.. I wouldn't see the benefit in terms of return from customer usage. This 'global AP' market is so tiny in the scheme of things. Why invest hundreds of thousands of dollars for a market of what.. something that is probably several thousand customers? If anything, the returns would be on the Information Systems on the backside, in both consolidation and in analytical abilities.

Plus.. accountants always love ROI justifications by consolidating platforms

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Plus.. accountants always love ROI justifications by consolidating platforms

lol...very true....
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Sock Puppet

Do accountants love the idea of charging every APer $300 more so both DL & WDW can be included?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast