• Pixiedust?

First time staying on property

My family is going to WDW August 11 through the 18. We were wondering what your personal opinons on the Deluxe resorts were and which would be the best to stay at with kids ages 17 and 21 who will probably spend more time in the room due to me having surgery.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

• Disney: A Way of Life

Re: First time staying on property

I don't have much experience with the Deluxe Resorts on account of price-issues, but it definitely is worthwhile to stay at one, not needed but it does include very nice accommodations. As for the best one, I personally enjoy both Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. With Wilderness Lodge, you can get a view of the Lake and be a nice boatride away from MK. The grounds around it are also pretty sweet. But, in your situation with staying in the room, I would suggest AK Lodge, since you can get a view of the savanna from your room, which is nice if you're stuck in the room the whole time. There is also a lot to walk around and see around AK Lodge, which when you do get out of your room would be a nice walk to do. It also has some great dining options, and is is pretty darn close to AK.
    Of course, this is only my biased opinion and no matter where you plan to stay I am sure you will have a great time since it is WDW.
    "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

• Done and Gone

I like Wilderness Lodge. Not sure how bound you will be to the room and such, but if you can at least venture out, the lobby is beautiful with lots of nice seating. It feels very detached from the world being out in the woods as well. Overall I find it very relaxing. As a bonus, the lake show is a nice treat in the evening as well. I've stayed at Wilderness Lodge twice and can't wait to stay again.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The beach club has the awesome pool and close access to EPCOT so they can find activities that allow them to go away for short periods and return rather quickly to the room.

Based on what you said.. I would think one of the resorts that has close access to a park for side-trips. Boardwalk or Beach club (the pool can not be overrated!).

• I was deleted.

Personally, I love the Polynesian. The themeing is great - dining (Ohanas, Kona Cafe, Capt'n Cooks WITH Dole Whips,) pools, enertainment, etc. The location is nice because it allows you easy access to the MK via monorail or boat and to the TTC to get to Epcot or MK. While everything at this resort may seem far away, according to Tikiman it only takes about 7 minutes to walk from one side to the other.

• Pixiedust?

I won't be bound to the room for the entire day though. But since it is ankle surgery, my parents don't know how well I will be able to walk long distances and how long I'll be able to walk on it. We have a wheelchair for me, but it's a hassle to have to have someone to push it, so I probably will spend more time than usual in and around the resort.

• We'll hold them at bay

My favorite is the Boardwalk myself followed by the Polynesian and the AKL
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• New Old Member

Quote Originally Posted by LilRah08 View Post
    I won't be bound to the room for the entire day though. But since it is ankle surgery, my parents don't know how well I will be able to walk long distances and how long I'll be able to walk on it. We have a wheelchair for me, but it's a hassle to have to have someone to push it, so I probably will spend more time than usual in and around the resort.
    I just recently came back from the Flower Show at Epcot. This time though I was in a wheel chair. My wife was the pusher and it wasn't to long before she wanted to kill me. We upgraded to the electric. Got to keep piece in the family you know!

** Side note** Don't spoil your fun, rent the electric and have some fun!

I second and rent the electric. Have fun and enjoy life. I went to Disney two years in a row as was no burden to my wife with a scooter. Besides you go in all handicap entrances and usually no waiting in lines. Have a good time.

• Pixiedust?

We're looking at possibly staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge because it seems really cool. But we're also possibly looking at the Polynesian because of the easy transportation.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

If you and your family have the financial means to stay at a deluxe resort then by all means please put The Grand Floridian, The Polynesian, The Contemporary and The Wilderness Lodge on your list of resorts to stay at.

The Wilderness Lodge almost feels small and boxed in for someone who may be handicapped with a healing ankle but it does have that warmy, cozy feeling throughout the resort. The main building is a fantastic spot to chill out inside, especially during the holidays with the Christmas Tree. I suggest you save this resort for a holiday visit in the upcoming future.

The Contemporary Resort probably isn't the best for someone getting around with a healing ankle, not much of a resort to walk around outside and inside. Fasting moving resort in my opinion.

The Polynensian is great in the theming category and I'm going to check it out on my next visit. I hear it's a fantastic place to stay and you can view the fireworks from the beach. Also the Polynensian is beyond fantastic at night.

The Grand Floridian is by far the best resort all around. If you are unable to get away from the hotel and your room this resort is the one to pick. There's so much to do, so much to see and experience at this resort. If someone is pushing you in a wheelchair around the resort than you and your family members will have a breathtaking view of everything.

And the reason for these 4 resorts I've selected for you is because each are very very close to the Magic Kingdom. Easy access with boats and buses.

Hope this helps.

As for the boardwalk resorts that include The Boardwalk resort, The beach club, yacht club, they are all impressive as well yet the boardwalk can get dull after a few days. BUT you can get groceries supplies from one of the main broadwalk stores, that's fun and can help with all the fast food costs during your stay. The boardwalk hotel does have a handful of stairs and staircases everywhere, be aware of that.

The beach club is more for the younger crowd whereas the yacht club is more for the adult crowd but both hotels are connected to each other so a quick walk to each one is only minutes out of your day.

With these 3 resorts you can also walk and/or take a boat to MGM studios, the Boardwalk area and Epcot. But you'll have to take a long bus ride to the Magic Kingdom. And you are unable to fully see the Epcot fireworks show from these resorts, well, you can see fireworks in the distance and hear them but you are clearly not able to see a full show from the beaches.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Pixiedust?

Could anyone tell me the difference in staying Concierge at the Polynesian and The Animal Kingdom Lodge? Those are the 2 we are mostly looking at now & considering being on the Concierge level if it is worth the extra money.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Isn't the concierge level in the AKL under construction for conversion to DVC? If so, mgiht be something you want to avoid....just my thoughts. Construction might be a little inconvenient, but I don't remember the timetable offhand.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!