Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Does the Laugh Floor fit in???

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Thing with Buzz Lightyear is that it isn't directly based on the Toy Story films, but the Buzz Lightyear show WITHIN the Toy Story (as well as our own) universe. They made it more obvious that it was based on the show when they put in the new gift shop with the photo-ops with some of the shows characters. Thing with Buzz though is that it also is set more in the context of being within the Toy's world, which kinda mucks things up a bit. Would be really nice to see more elements of the TV show brought in.

I think with Buzz, they should have treated it like it was Star Tours with that level of detail. It would be so awesome if we actually felt like we were going to partake in a real space adventure. Kids woulds love it, grown ups would love it.

I think where the really blew it is using the Etch-a-Sketch as a screen. It's a fantastic effect but it kinda tells the guest "yah, this isn't real... these are toys". So what that does is not transport you into the real Buzz Lightyear world. It transports you to the Buzz Lightyear living in Andy's Room world.

It's just another instance of Disney having the power to give us Gold but decided to go with Bronze instead.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

I have no problem with Tomorrowland themed as a sci-fi fantasy land, with Epcot FutureWorld now serving as the "Tomorrowland" that was originally envisioned. Even in that context, however, I still don't think the Laugh Floor fits.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1 View Post
    I have no problem with Tomorrowland themed as a sci-fi fantasy land, with Epcot FutureWorld now serving as the "Tomorrowland" that was originally envisioned. Even in that context, however, I still don't think the Laugh Floor fits.
    Absolutely right! The way to distinguish the themes, is simply to add the FANTASY of tomorrow to Disneyland and keep the DISCOVERY and LEARNING ABOUT tomorrow at Epcot. But you are right Monsters do not fit at MK.

Let's face it, Monster Inc Laugh Floor is just a "leftovers" attraction. Like leftovers at home, they are never as good as the first night. They re-used the building. They re-used the technology of Turtle Talk. Even some of the jokes feel re-used.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Let's face it, Monster Inc Laugh Floor is just a "leftovers" attraction. Like leftovers at home, they are never as good as the first night. They re-used the building. They re-used the technology of Turtle Talk. Even some of the jokes feel re-used.

Absolutely. There's something to be said about an attraction that relies heavily on comedy to attract visitors. A lot of tourists may not even GET the jokes, and many guests who understand the jokes may not even find it funny. At this point you're separating guests not by height or age, but by personality. Now why would anyone think that was a good idea?

Turtle Talk is a small portion of a larger attraction so it works. There's no real set-up required. You're talking WITH an animated turtle, not being talked AT with jokes.

The great thing about Jungle Cruise is that the jokes are there to supplement the great animatronics and landscaping that are already there. You can have a boat ride passing by the animals without the guide, and it would still be worth visiting. If you take the jokes out of Monsters, Inc, you have a room with movie screens and monsters talking. Talking animatronics would be more stimulating for everyone involved.

Seems to me that the queue for MILF is a better set up than the attraction itself.

It would be so interesting if each post criticizing the Laugh Floor could be accompanied by one of these two statements:

I've seen the show/I haven't seen the show.

Having seen (and enjoyed) the Laugh Floor and having read so many negative posts tempts me to believe most of us are passionately stating uninformed opinions based on other people's uninformed opinions.

<g>

• In Technicolor!

Quote Originally Posted by dreemfinder View Post
    It would be so interesting if each post criticizing the Laugh Floor could be accompanied by one of these two statements:

I've seen the show/I haven't seen the show.
    I've seen the show.

It doesn't fit with the Tomorrowland theme.
    Last edited by Ward; 05-18-2007 at 03:59 AM.
    These are the games that never end.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreemfinder View Post
    Having seen (and enjoyed) the Laugh Floor and having read so many negative posts tempts me to believe most of us are passionately stating uninformed opinions based on other people's uninformed opinions.
    Even if you enjoyed the attraction, it is clear that it is an improper thematic fit. Many people enjoy the Twlight Zone Tower of Terror, but it would have absolutely no place in Disney's Animal Kingdom. Oh, and yes, I have "experienced" MILF, and it was lame.

• Pixiedust?

I don't care for it, but I think it is cute for younger kids.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

Quote Originally Posted by wishesjake View Post
    Ok, I know a lot of people don't like pixar and movie-based attractions. But, I'm wondering does the laugh floor comedy club fit into tommorrowland?? I understand that there is nothing futuristic about Monsters Inc. but the attraction is a showcase of the latest technology from WDI and isn't that what tommorrowland was originally supposed to be?
    Nobody's sure what Tomorrowland was originally supposed to be. In Walt's day, it was a mix of futurism, corporate showcasing, and transportation. Today, there's really no such thing as "futurism," there's little futuristic transport to speak of, and corporate showcasing is on a downswing. If you take Tomorrowland as a "transportation hub" concept, well, why not have a comedy club with performers from another "world?"

The problem with Tomorrowland is that most audiences today aren't captivated by "Tomorrow." The pace of technology is faster than the pace of growing expectations - the real wonders of the world are than six-ounce telecommunications device (cell phone) everyone carries around and takes for granted. There's not much to be excited about when it comes to "Tomorrow."

If Tomorrowland were really about "tomorrow," it'd be hybrid cars, video games, and better CGI animation. Whooopee.

The only thing about "Tomorrow" that might be optimistic, hopeful, and forward-looking would be a depiction of a world where we all weren't bombing one another and flying airplanes into one anothers' buildings. Call it "InternationalHarmonLand." Or "World Showcase." <g>

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    ...The great thing about Jungle Cruise is that the jokes are there to supplement the great animatronics and landscaping that are already there. ...
    Which Jungle Cruise has "great" animatronics? <g>

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by swrdfghtr View Post
    Which Jungle Cruise has "great" animatronics? <g>

Disneyland. "great" is all in my opinion anyway. I was making a point of animatronics vs movie screens.

• In Technicolor!

Let's get the discussion back to topic, "Does MI:LF fit the Tomorrowland theme?". First, the disclaimer: I've seen the show.

The questions: What's there now? What does MI:LF do to fit that that theme?

1. What's there now?

o Space Mountain - Not futuristic, just outer space
    o Buzz Lightyear Space Rangers - Not futuristic, just fantasy outer space
    o Tomorrowland Transit Authority - Futuristic theme, no longer futuristic
    o Astro Orbiter - Not futuristic, just outer space
    o Tomorrowland Indy Speedway - Not futuristic theme, just a race track
    o Stitch's Great Escape - Not futuristic, just fantasy aliens
    o Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress - The song is themed for tomorrow.

So, nothing in Tomorrowland is themed to the future except the idea of traveling in pod-cars, and the "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" song. This leaves us with a de facto Tomorrowland theme of outer space.

2. What does MI:LF do to fit that that theme?

MI:LF has nothing specifically that fits an outer space theme. There are no astronauts, planets, rocket ships, aliens -- nothing. MI:LF does not fit either the overt theme of "the future", nor the de facto theme of "outer space".

It just doesn't fit.
    These are the games that never end.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Let's get the discussion back to topic, "Does MI:LF fit the Tomorrowland theme?". First, the disclaimer: I've seen the show.

The questions: What's there now? What does MI:LF do to fit that that theme?

1. What's there now?

o Space Mountain - Not futuristic, just outer space
    o Buzz Lightyear Space Rangers - Not futuristic, just fantasy outer space
    o Tomorrowland Transit Authority - Futuristic theme, no longer futuristic
    o Astro Orbiter - Not futuristic, just outer space
    o Tomorrowland Indy Speedway - Not futuristic theme, just a race track
    o Stitch's Great Escape - Not futuristic, just fantasy aliens
    o Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress - The song is themed for tomorrow.

So, nothing in Tomorrowland is themed to the future except the idea of traveling in pod-cars, and the "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" song. This leaves us with a de facto Tomorrowland theme of outer space.

2. What does MI:LF do to fit that that theme?

MI:LF has nothing specifically that fits an outer space theme. There are no astronauts, planets, rocket ships, aliens -- nothing. MI:LF does not fit either the overt theme of "the future", nor the de facto theme of "outer space".

It just doesn't fit.

I'd like to just point out that the idea of traveling through space like driving in your car is still a futurist idea.

Aliens like Stitch, outer galaxy space rangers and villains like Buzz Lightyear, etc... since nothing like that has yet to happen, it's futuristic. It's an idea that's been around for ages, but it doesn't mean it's "presentday". (buzz lightyear attraction is flawed though for having an etch-a-sketch... making it very much in the present).

So right now, Indy Speedway is the only thing outdated. Monsters Inc... is just there. It really does belong at MGM Studios if anywhere.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    It just doesn't fit.
    I agree.

I have not seen the show yet. I may love it, I may hate it. I look forward to seeing it for myself. Either way, I don't see how it fits in Tomorrowland.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    buzz lightyear attraction is flawed though for having an etch-a-sketch... making it very much in the present
    The inclusion of the likes of Etch also makes the entire experience the crazed hallucination of an anthropomorphic toy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast