Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

DAK - Tusker House Conversion to Buffet

Read on the net..

Tusker House in the Animal Kingdom will be converted from its current counter-service format to a Buffet restaurant.

Also, it will run Character Breakfast with Donald in the mornings - named Donald's Safari Breakfast Buffet. This will cause the current character meal at Resturantosaurus to close down, but the place will still stay open as a quick counter service.

Tusker House will close Aug 20 through Nov 17 to accommodate the conversion of the restaurant.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Re: DAK - Tusker House Conversion to Buffet

ahhhhhhhhh....i had heard some rumors from other CM's about this!!

kinda good idea....if im going to eat BBQ, im going to at alot so a buffett sounds good to me!! nice touch for it to be character dining!! i think its an overall good idea
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

NO! One of the best places my family loves to eat in DAK. Truly a great menu, with items more than traditional fast food.

You will be missed Tusker House...
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

i like it the way it is....but i do like the idea of buffett.

I could care less for a buffett at Cosmic Ray's, for example. The type of great food they serve at Tusker House lends itself well to being a buffett.

id like to see how this all works....but yes, i do have some reservations...(pardon the pun)

• Too far from Disney World

When will this new one open?
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

apparently around November 17th ....

• I was deleted.

Anyone else find it odd that it is closing DURING the resort free dining package time frame?!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Anyone else find it odd that it is closing DURING the resort free dining package time frame?!
    Free Dining is usually offered during the slower parts of the season to encourage people to visit. I imagine closing a major restaurant in AK, which doesn't have a huge line-up of eateries to begin with, is something they would want to do during a slower period than a busier time. Late August and September are historically among the slowest parts of year, but October usually picks up. As long as everything goes to plan, it will be reopened in time for the holidays starting with the very busy Thanksgiving week. There is still enough places to eat at AK with the free dining program during this time, so I see no correlation or conspiracy on this decision with the free dining program.

Plus, another sit-down restaurant is needed if AK intends on having hours past 6pm (on average). By the end of the year, AK will have three sit-down restaurants (Rainforest included), which will help keep people in the park for dinner instead of leaving to another park to eat dinner as is often the case now. This is a needed change imo.
    Last edited by CTXRover; 05-09-2007 at 06:58 PM.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by CTXRover View Post
    Free Dining is usually offered during the slower parts of the season to encourage people to visit. I imagine closing a major restaurant in AK, which doesn't have a huge line-up of eateries to begin with, is something they would want to do during a slower period than a busier time. Late August and September are historically among the slowest parts of year, but October usually picks up. As long as everything goes to plan, it will be reopened in time for the holidays starting with the very busy Thanksgiving week. There is still enough places to eat at AK with the free dining program during this time, so I see no correlation or conspiracy on this decision with the free dining program.

Plus, another sit-down restaurant is needed if AK intends on having hours past 6pm (on average). By the end of the year, AK will have three sit-down restaurants (Rainforest included), which will help keep people in the park for dinner instead of leaving to another park to eat dinner as is often the case now. This is a needed change imo.
    I agree they need more table service style restaurants in AK, but the Tusker House was quite frankly the best counter service in the park... I would rather they built something completely new in the remaining unused areas or convert the thinly disguised Macdonald's in dinoland as they already use it for buffet breakfasts today. Besides Dino Land was supposed to be Donald's area wasn't it? it kinda ruins the theme. Plus you already have Bomas at AKL which is an excellent African buffet, I'm not sure we really need two or that the Tusker house Buffet would be able to stand up to Bomas in terms of quality etc.

Also logistically how does this work for people eating breakfast prior to park opening? Tusker is much deeper into the park than the current location of Donald's breakfast, I would think you would want to limit guest access as much as possible until the stage is set for the park to open properly.

I dunno, I put this in the sounds like a bad idea to me category....
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Huh?

I can't put this in the bad idea category... we still have no idea what is going to be on the buffet.

I'll be perfectly happy if the buffet is like a Boma-lite.
    -Tim

• Banned User

i have a feeling disney is actually reading their surveys. one of the things missing in AK was a buffet other than breakfast. I was surveyed the last time I was there and they asked about dining preference and I made note that the only thing in the parks was quick service and they needed something else. I was told that the landry's group contracted it that way so they would only be able to have the sit down restaurants. but I guess that doesn't cover buffets. and kids love them.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    NO! One of the best places my family loves to eat in DAK. Truly a great menu, with items more than traditional fast food.

You will be missed Tusker House...
    ITA! Although I do agree that another full-service place is needed in AK (although I would not really call a buffet full service, but you know what I mean).

I loved the donald restaurantasaurus breakfast... I am glad we will get to go one last time in Oct.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by CTXRover View Post
    Free Dining is usually offered during the slower parts of the season to encourage people to visit. I imagine closing a major restaurant in AK, which doesn't have a huge line-up of eateries to begin with, is something they would want to do during a slower period than a busier time.
    Yes, while that is true dining does tend to be packed and Disney tends to open more or even create temporary dining locations - like when they turned the Noodle Station into a full service/buffet (I forget which now.)

the noodle station isnt what it ised to be....its used to be rather ethnic and good....now its just like everything else with the couple pseudo-chinese dishes....

hopefully Tuskers will still be good when theye done with it

• Too far from Disney World

Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post

I loved the donald restaurantasaurus breakfast... I am glad we will get to go one last time in Oct.
    I've never been and we have reservations in September. Can't wait!

But then if they cahnge it over to a new Donald breakfast that mean's I have to make another trip down to check that one out too!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast