Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

WDW: Did you Know? v2

I saw where the original DYK thread is gone so I thought I would start this one.

Here go with version 2!

DYK...That Mickey Mouse has 175 different outfits that he can wear. Minnie has over 200!!!

DYK...If you were to wash and dry one load of laundry every day for 33 years, you'd clean as much as the folks at the Walt Disney World Laundry do in a single day. The 550 workers there launder an average of 120,000 pounds each day. In addition, between 30,000 and 32,000 garments are dry-cleaned daily.

DYK...Kodak estimates that approximately 4 percent of all the amateur photographs taken in the United States are snapped at Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland.

DYK...There are enough of the famous "Mouse Ear" hats sold each year to cover the head of every man, woman and child in Pittsburgh and enough Disney character T-shirts strike the fancy of Walt Disney World guests each year to put Mickey Mouse's smiling face on the chest of every Chicagoan.

DYK...More than a half million character watches -- mainly Mickey -- are slipped onto wrists out of Walt Disney World gift shops each year. At any given time, there are more than 200 different varieties of character watches. The most popular timepiece: a gold-tone relief of Mickey Mouse.

More to come soon!

BDK
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Hello there

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle

DYK...More than a half million character watches -- mainly Mickey -- are slipped onto wrists out of Walt Disney World gift shops each year. At any given time, there are more than 200 different varieties of character watches. The most popular timepiece: a gold-tone relief of Mickey Mouse.

More to come soon!

BDK

Way cool! I am wearing one right now!!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Awesome!

• Self Congratulative

I'm glad this thread is back, it truly was my favorite!

Did you know that?

I didn't know that, but now I do!

Thanks for the DYK.

Does someone have one they would like to share?

Here is some from the general WDW fun facts area of my website. They should keep you reading for awhile! A link to my site can be found in the sig!

Did you know...

1. That the WDW Resort Compound is 47 square miles big. That is approx. the size of SAN FRANSISCO!!!!!

2. That WDW hires over 50,000 Cast Members a Year!!!

3. That Mickey Mouse has 175 different outfits that he can wear. Minnie has over 200!!!

4. If you were to wash and dry one load of laundry every day for 33 years, you'd clean as much as the folks at the Walt Disney World Laundry do in a single day. The 550 workers there launder an average of 120,000 pounds each day. In addition, between 30,000 and 32,000 garments are dry-cleaned daily.

5. Kodak estimates that approximately 4 percent of all the amateur photographs taken in the United States are snapped at Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland.

6. Each Christmas season, Walt Disney World is "decked" with more than four miles of garland, 1,000 wreaths and 300 Christmas trees. The tallest of the lot is a 96-foot tree in Disney's Contemporary Resort. In addition, six trees, which range in height from 50-80 feet, are placed in prominent positions in the theme parks.

7. More than 46 million Cokes are consumed each year at Walt Disney World Resort. That goes with 7 million hamburgers, 5 million hot dogs, 5 million pounds of French fries and 265,000 pounds of popcorn.

8. There are enough of the famous "Mouse Ear" hats sold each year to cover the head of every man, woman and child in Pittsburgh and enough Disney character T-shirts strike the fancy of Walt Disney World guests each year to put Mickey Mouse's smiling face on the chest of every Chicagoan.

9. More than a half million character watches -- mainly Mickey -- are slipped onto wrists out of Walt Disney World gift shops each year. At any given time, there are more than 200 different varieties of character watches. The most popular timepiece: a gold-tone relief of Mickey Mouse.

10. Walt Disney World Lost and Found is one busy place. Every day an average of 100 pairs of sunglasses are turned in at the Magic Kingdom alone. There have been enough "shades" submitted each year in the Vacation Kingdom to outfit every resident of Sun City, Arizona, Sun City, California and Sun City, Florida. Since 1971, an estimated 1.5 million pairs of glasses have found their way into the "lost" bin.

11. According to long-time lost and found staffers, the most unusual items turned in have been a glass eye and a potty trainer. Both, incidentally, were claimed (but not by the same person).

12. Nearly 165 Walt Disney World buses cover almost 9 million miles every year. That's enough to drive around the earth (at the equator) more than six times each week!

13. Since 1971, the total miles logged by Walt Disney World monorail trains would be equal to over 25 round trips to the moon. One dozen new cars were put into service along the 14-mile beamway in 1990 as the original fleet received a well-deserved retirement.

14. Four low-power radio signals on three AM frequencies keep Vacation Kingdom visitors abreast of Walt Disney World information. Guests can tune in to 1030 (driving toward the Magic Kingdom), 900 (exiting the Magic Kingdom), 810 (entering Epcot) and 900 (exiting Epcot).

15. Disney's Wedding Pavilion was designed to provide the bride with a view of the Magic Kingdom's Cinderella Castle while she is standing at the altar.

16. As a precaution against any Millennium glitches, Walt Disney World has hidden portable lights and generators all over the property to insure light and essential power when the Millennium arrives. They have been placed behind potted plants so they will not be obtrusive to guests.

17. Walt's original plans for WDW included a small airport for commuter
    flights from other Florida airports?

18. Walt envisioned Cinderella's Castle with the spires painted in 24K gold
    leaf but Roy was adamant that the cost was too great. Walt's solution?
    Paint the spires when Roy was away on a business trip!

19. If you search Cinderella's Castle, you will find the Disney family
    crest. The Disney family name was originally D'ISGNEY

20. Walt once drove a mail truck for the US Post Office.

21. There are more than 20,000 different colors of paint used in Walt Disney World.

ENJOY!

• Banned User

18. Walt envisioned Cinderella's Castle with the spires painted in 24K gold
    leaf but Roy was adamant that the cost was too great. Walt's solution?
    Paint the spires when Roy was away on a business trip!
    you sure about that one.... I thought walt had passed before construction was that far....

Oh sorry. I messed that one up. That one should be for DL. Sorry.

DYK's for MK

Did You Know...

1. That there are NO stones in Cinderella Castle!!! The shell of the castle is made of fiberglass.

2. Guides of the Jungle Cruise shoot off over 631,000 rounds of blank ammunition a year!!!

3. Cinderella's Carousel was originally built in 1917 for Detroit's Palace
    Garden Park.

4. You spot Cinderella's horse on the Carousel? Look for the horse with
    the gold tail bow.

5. The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse is an artificial banyon tree. Each
    leaf originally cost $1. to manufacture the 300,000 leaves that were originally placed on the tree.

6. Ben Franklin (Hall of Presidents) is the only Disney Audio-animatronic
    figure to walk.

7. The Country Bear Jamboree originated at WDW and was later added at DL.

8. The top floor of Cinderella's Castle is a fully furnished apartment for
    the Disney family. It has never been stayed in.

9. The 4 WDW railroad locomotives were discovered in Yucatan, Mexico. They
    were renamed The Walter E Disney, The Roy O Disney, The Lilly Belle and
    The Roger Broggie.

10. If you look very closely in "It's A Small World" you may spot a crying
    audioanimatronic, and one holding a sign that says "HELP ME."

11. The Magic Kingdom can legally hold as many as 100,000 and has parking spaces for 12,156 cars.

12. There 12 monorail trains used at WDW.

13. The name of the quartet that entertains people on Main Street is The Dapper Dan’s

14. There are about 1100 Audio-Animatronic figures in the Magic Kingdom alone! These are all controlled using a system called DACS (Digital Animation Control System) from a central remote location, along with the more than 700 soundtracks for attractions, parades, stores and restaurants! In the four theme parks, there are close to 2000 Audio-Animatronics figures in all.

15. More than 5,000 performers, (not counting the 500 doves that were released), joined in the Grand Opening Celebration of Walt Disney World at the Magic Kingdom on October 25, 1971 . A 1,076-piece band (including 76 trombones) was led by "Music man" Meredith Wilson as part of the Grand opening parade up Main Street, USA . Meredith Wilson was best known as author and composer of "The Music Man," which premiered on Broadway in 1957. He is also the composer of many memorable songs, such as "76 Trombones," "It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas," "You and I," "May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You" and "Till There Was You," which was a hit for the Beatles in 1963.

16. As you approach the entrance to the Magic Kingdom , you can see the landmark Walt Disney World Railroad train station. If you look above the sign that says " Magic Kingdom " you will see the "Railroad Office." Underneath that window reads, "Keeping Dreams on Track - Walter E. Disney - Chief Engineer."

17. When the Magic Kingdom was created, Walt Disney wanted his guests to feel as though they were entering a movie, and there are numerous indicators all along Main Street, USA to illustrate that metaphor. Like all movies, the Magic Kingdom had to have its opening and closing credit, with the names of people who were important to the creation of Walt Disney World. This is accomplished by placing the names on the windows over the shops on Main Street, USA . As you walk into the park, they are the opening credits, and act as the closing credits on the way out. Walt Disney's name, the only one to face the Castle, can be seen over the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. His name is also the first you see as part of the "closing credits."

18. There is a flag ceremony daily at 5:00 p.m. in Town Square, where the American flag is taken down for the evening, while the band plays and white doves are released. Veterans can inquire about participating in the ceremony.

19. Main Street, USA is loosely based on the town of Marceline, Missouri circa 1910.

20. After the park closes, service trucks drive up Main Street doing maintenance. The truck drivers are required to put a huge pan underneath the truck so as not to drip anything that would foul Main Street's immaculate streets!

21. Did you know that you can get a haircut on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom? The Harmony Barber Shop is open seven days a week, usually until dusk. No appointments are given, just walk in - it is located in the far corner of the Emporium, near Disney Clothiers.

22. When Walt Disney World opened in 1971, only the Grand Prix Raceway and the Skyway to Fantasyland were the only attractions that were operational in Tomorrowland.

23. If you're looking for somewhere to throw your garbage in Tomorrowland, you may just find the moving and TALKING trash can! His name is PUSH

24. The replica of the Liberty Bell in Walt Disney World's Liberty Square is the only one in existence made from the same authentic cast used for the original in Philadelphia , Pennsylvania .

25. Main Street, USA is filled with little fun things... for example, pick up the antique phone in the General Store on the right hand side of the street. When you do, you can hear a "party line" conversation going on!!

26. The "Liberty Oak," which is the focal point of the Liberty Square area in Disney World's Magic Kingdom, is the proud parent of more than 500 young trees. They all started out as acorns harvested from the single oak.

27. Disney World's Cinderella Castle may appear 300 feet tall, but it only stands 185 feet high ... due to forced perspective it just looks huge.

28. The mechanical palm trees located around the outskirts of Disney World's Tommorrowland fold and unfold at various times during the day to provide shade.

29. The Audio-Animatronics figures in Disney World's Hall of Presidents need continual maintenance. All the presidents have personal beauticians and at least one change of clothes!

• Disney Memory Maker

10. If you look very closely in "It's A Small World" you may spot a crying audioanimatronic, and one holding a sign that says "HELP ME."
    I believe this particular cown was removed during the rahab. I believe the clown in the balloon now smiles.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Thanks for the fun thread, Kyle. Where do you find your facts?

p.s. Yes I do know that there is a real barber shop on Main Street USA. Michal the barber is one of my favorite WDW cast members!

I found most of them from Disneyworldtrivia.com and from The WDW Trivia Book by Lou Mongello. Me and Lou are friends and he got me started with leaning all that I can about WDW.

the ones that i posted here can be found on my site. The link is in my sig

Actually, Ben Franklin was never a "President" therefore he is not in The Hall of Presidents. The Ben Franklin audio animitronic is at The American Adventure in EPCOT, not at The Magic Kingdom.

• Banned User

Re: WDW: Did you Know? v2

Did you know that Epcot offers an After 4:00p.m. Anual pass for only $110.00 Thats only 2 visits..

So if you like fireworks show.. or shopping.. this is a good pass...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast