Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

moving to orlando

What does people think of living in orlando.

I might have the opportunity to relocate there. I know I would enjoy the AP, but some of the pleasure of visiting WDW is the vacation (stay in a mod or deluxe hotel) and its a treat. Visiting the park would still be a treat but i dont think it would be the same as a vacation and I would want to vacation elsewhere......

Opinions? Comments?

• New Old Member

Re: moving to orlando

Can't answer about living in Orlando but I'm a three hour away and I visit WDW two to four times a year. Yes, its a vacation. I'm three to five hours away from the Keys (depending where) and again its a vacation. Anything out of my house is a vacation!
    I don't think moving to Orlando would ruin your WDW experience. Go for it!

Hi there. I was hoping to relocate to Orlando from Buffalo this month (sniffle) but due to school and financial issues, it didn't work out (I will 100 percent be going next spring, though, after I finish my master's).

I spent the past 6 months or so doing intense research about living in Orlando. There are definitely areas, just like in any city, to avoid (however, people on various message boards have widely different opinions).

I'm not sure where you live now, but from what I've heard, traffic is an issue. Oh, and so many of the DL Micechatters are APs who live very close to DL, perhaps some of them will chime in about any loss of the magic.

I visited Orlando by myself last month to check out various neighborhoods and get a general feel of driving on I-4, the Osceola Pkwy, etc., and to see what "real" life felt like. I was very pleasantly surprised, based on what I had read on some "city" message boards (try http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlando/ but take it with a grain of salt. There are some seriously angry people there. Before I took everything too seriously, I went to check out the Buffalo board and there were people who were way off there as well). I would definitely recommend checking message boards out, though, because you can ask questions of locals.

Also, I found my "alone" trip very useful in gauging whether I could "do it" by myself there. I am now 100% certain.

I'm sorry I can't write more right now, but the Sabres game's on in an hour and I'm going to a party . I know other MCers will give you more advice.

Good luck and go with your instinct. I can't wait to go myself!!
    Last edited by Sabres2006; 05-10-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: I have an English degree, yet I misspelled "due" - good grief!
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Quality not quantity

So live in Orlando and Vacation in Anaheim. Problem solved.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Attn. Space Travelers....

ok....Orlando is great in some ways and terrible in others....allow me to elaborate:

Pros:
    *WDW and Universal Studios
    *Lots of other entertainment (clubs, bars, shopping, museums, attractions)
    *Great restaurants and lots of them
    *Culture
    *Close to Cocoa Beach, Miami, Tampa Bay area, Clearwater Beach, and more
    *lots to explore
    *Well priced apartments

Cons:

*Traffic can suck - mainly on I-4....and many people drive like maniacs (ironically, insurance rates are low here...go figure)
    *Its becoming necessary to speak Spanish as there are so many Cubans, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans here)
    *Many things can be crowded or busy
    *Some places have too many annoying tourists
    *It can be hot in the summers if your not used to heat (due to humidity)
    *toll roads
    *occasional severe weather and hurricanes

overall, its a cool place to live, but like many metropolises it has its problems like crowding, but it has many upsides too, like plentiful entertainment and such. I'd say its a good move!! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me!! :-D
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Sounds a lot like Orange County (minus the hurricanes and humidity)

Having grown up in Orlando (1965-1988) and lived there until I married, I can honestly say that if not for WDW and the nearby ocean, Orlando would be near the bottom of the list of cities I would consider living in, if not the very bottom. As it is, short of moving there to work for Disney, I'd rather die first than move there. Do the research, visit the city, look for "red flags" -- those message board posters aren't inventing all that bad stuff; there has to be at least a grain of truth to their posts, and decide for yourself.

Apologies to those who live there; I'm sure there are still some nice pockets here and there, especially west of the city.

• New Old Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Sounds a lot like Orange County (minus the hurricanes and humidity)
    Isn't Orlando Orange County??

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by herb2linda View Post
    Isn't Orlando Orange County??
    yes it is..

However, living in Orlando is cheap but it's no piece of cake. Roads are in major need of expansion, too much traffic in a city that is not equipped to handle the growth, low paying jobs and little opportunity for professional careers... it's so touristy down here... Love bugs, critters, alligators having picnics in your backyard... No one seems to speak english anymore... The cons far outdo the pros... and trust me, being close to WDW is no price. Just my two cents.

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

It depends where you live in the Orlando area.

And don't let everyone scare you. I-4 is not what everyone makes it out to be. I've never seen I-4 as backed up as what you might see on any road in LA on a given day.

The Toll Roads in Orlando are a pain, but once you get used to them and get a SunPass, you'll be fine.

Orlando has many areas divided. A stretch of road will be for tourists, another will be for locals. It's amazing, and you realize it's not all bad once you live here.

And as far as the critters... yes, Florida does have its critters. But we have no where as near as many mosquitos as they do up north. Weather is different, but after about three months you get used to it. When you first get here, it's like a sauna, but it's not bad once you've been living here for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nigel Channing View Post
    It depends where you live in the Orlando area.

And don't let everyone scare you. I-4 is not what everyone makes it out to be. I've never seen I-4 as backed up as what you might see on any road in LA on a given day.

The Toll Roads in Orlando are a pain, but once you get used to them and get a SunPass, you'll be fine.

Orlando has many areas divided. A stretch of road will be for tourists, another will be for locals. It's amazing, and you realize it's not all bad once you live here.

And as far as the critters... yes, Florida does have its critters. But we have no where as near as many mosquitos as they do up north. Weather is different, but after about three months you get used to it. When you first get here, it's like a sauna, but it's not bad once you've been living here for a while.
    im gonna hafta agree....orlando isnt terrible....its not perfect either.

some areas will be tourist heavy, and some are very suburban....overall a good place to be....and yes, you do get used to the weather pretty quickly....ive lived here my whole life and i never plan to leave. Orlando is a city of diversity and industry. There are many jobs and things to do here....youll have to get used to a few things, but nothing major....

and i stick by what i said....I-4 does suck.....mainly the crazy drivers

• Sock Puppet

Underneath the "Smell Lab", and yes, dare I say, it really stinks.

Crazy drivers... but not as crazy as say, Miami or LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nigel Channing View Post
    Crazy drivers... but not as crazy as say, Miami or LA.

yeah...very true....LA is, well, insane!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post
    yeah...very true....LA is, well, insane!!!
    you should see the drivers in brooklyn.

i wish more people would answer the question regarding going to WDW as an AP local rather than as a vacation....what do people think (see original post).

• Another trip down I-4

I think that depends on what you like to do in the parks. If you're the type that wants to immerse yourself for a few days, then no, going home at the end of the day isn't going to be as fun.

However, if you're the type that likes seeing new things as they arrive (like when Spaceship Earth re-opens), then the AP will allow you to go and see it right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast