Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 76
  1. #16

    • Disgruntled Former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Whittier / Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,263

    Sad Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Sorry, but with a "FastPass" line, a "FastPass" ticket area, a "StandBy" line, and with some hoping to add a "Single Riders" line, I see the entrances to the queues becoming even more congested and confusing.

    Admittedly, with no Clear Idea how to solve the problem (a - get rid of FastPass all together?, or b- have some sort of ticketing system similar to the old Ticket Books, but with schedules for rides and 'events': "first seating for Fantasmic!", "Your Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Ride Time is 9 - 10am" ?), I do think that the Resort needs to focus attention on:
    (A) Capping Attendance at a number that can reasonably be able to 'enjoy' the Parks (and 60,000+ people are not enjoying the Park on a hot Summer day...)
    (B) increasing ridership on attractions; this includes the creation of more "people eating" first rate attractions (like the old WedWay People Mover and POTC), replacing rides and attractions that have been closed or removed, and making sure that new attractions have hourly ride capabilities that might reasonably handle a daily crowd (from what we're hearing, the New Improved Subs won't be able to handle 1/5 of a Summer Day's population in a regular operating day - per ecdlanddude's excellent idea, Subs, Splash, and Space Mountain should probably be FastPass ONLY Attractions), and (C) the re-thinking / re-tooling / elimination of the APs.

    Before I'm crucified by the Don'tTakeAwayMYAnnualPassport Lynch Mob; let me explain: a $99 (or even a $199, or a $299) Annual Passport that someone is using 10 - 50 times a year (conservatively...) does not adequately compensate the Resort for the expense of that AP holder's use of the Resort; when a $65 Admission is reduced to a couple of dollars per visit by using an AP, the Parks are required to make all operating revenue on Food & Merchandising, leaving less money for Attraction Imagineering, creation, and maintenance. Since the inception of the APs, new Attractions have almost ceased to be created, and we have all read about the severe cutbacks in the maintenance programs of our beloved attractions (or posted photos on these threads showing the deplorable conditions that some attractions / restaurants / areas have fallen into - just this side of "neglect"). If Season Tickets to the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" can be priced at $1,000+, it stands to reason that an Annual Passport's value is far underpriced.

    OK; let the Lynching begin...
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 05-14-2007 at 06:45 AM.

  2. #17

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Very good points you made up there EvilQueen.. and for your satisfaction (and mine) the Nemo Subs at DL will NOT have FP. First come, first serve, so expect that line to be 4 hrs plus and the queue to begin at the BBQ ranch behind BTMRR.

  3. #18

    • Defying gravity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    I post in these threads all the time and I still fail to see why there is so much hatred towards FP - and really, this hatred is only shown in online message boards. People actually in the parks love FP. Do you ever see people complaining "God, I just hate this system!"? - NO! People using FP love it because it saves them time, and people standing by watch with jealously, wishing they had a FP.

  4. #19

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Actually.. go hang out at Guests Relations for a while and you'll see some guests come in to complaint about the long stand by waits. Soarin' at EPCOT is by far the one line with the most complaints registered. However, because Disney is so intent in keeping the system because it gives them some leverage of sort with guests (or so they think), all Guest Relations can do to aliviate the complaints is offer "front of the line" passes to those who are fuming... which makes the problem even worst, because now you have people who didn't have a FP to begin with, cutting to the front as well.
    I am telling you... the FP system HAS GOT TO GO.

  5. #20

    • Defying gravity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Why was the FP system originally put in place?! - to prevent guests from waiting in such long lines!!!! I remember back in the late 90s spending hours waiting in lines. Do I wait in lines now? - No, I USE FASTPASS. It's not Disney's problem if people complain about the system when they are perfectly capable of picking up their own FP ticket.

  6. #21

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Why was the FP system originally put in place?! - to prevent guests from waiting in such long lines!!!! I remember back in the late 90s spending hours waiting in lines. Do I wait in lines now? - No, I USE FASTPASS. It's not Disney's problem if people complain about the system when they are perfectly capable of picking up their own FP ticket.
    Again... you are using the same old tired excuse everyone uses to defend Fastpass "everyone is capable of using the system". However, your point of view is based on me self-entitlement "me, me, me" attitude that is prevalent in this country. When Fps are gone for the day... guests are not capable anymore of using the system, and furthermore... the allocated times for a FP ticket at the time a guest approaches the distribution machine may or may not be compatible with plans, therefore most have to make a decision if they want to get a FP or not. Those are the irregularities of the system that Disney is not willing to concider. In your case Princess...seems to me you are willing to take a FP no matter what, whether you come back to a ride or not, and if you don't.. then you robbed someone else's chance to use that slot. I can explain all you want but it won't change your mind since you will never agree to see the flip side of this coin... Again, the "me me me me" attitude.

    Why was the FP system originally put in place?! - to prevent guests from waiting in such long lines!!!!
    But is has not. in fact, attractions with FP has seen the longest lines EVER due to the back ups it creates for stand by guests, and since not ALL guests can participate in FP (as it would defeat the purpose) then, it's further proof the system does not benefit the majority. IT HAS TO GO!. I will always be greatful for Universal's decision to curtail it and add a charge to it. You want the priviledge to cut to the front of the line? The you should PAY for it.

  7. #22

    • A Dark Future
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Actually.. go hang out at Guests Relations for a while and you'll see some guests come in to complaint about the long stand by waits. Soarin' at EPCOT is by far the one line with the most complaints registered. However, because Disney is so intent in keeping the system because it gives them some leverage of sort with guests (or so they think), all Guest Relations can do to aliviate the complaints is offer "front of the line" passes to those who are fuming... which makes the problem even worst, because now you have people who didn't have a FP to begin with, cutting to the front as well.
    I am telling you... the FP system HAS GOT TO GO.
    Actually.. go hang out at Guest Relations for a while and you'll see some guests come in to complain about every possible thing there is to complain about. If we got rid of everything the guests complain about, there would be absolutely nothing left in the parks. Probably just extensive fields of grass.

    As for FP itsself, i think on some rides it works well, while others it should never go near. What were they thinking putting it on the Haunted Mansion?! But I'm all for it on SPlash Mountain. I remember before FP that line still took forever. And i'm really happy I can skip right over it.

    Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

  8. #23

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    People using FP love it because it saves them time, and people standing by watch with jealously, wishing they had a FP.
    Again... self entitlement. Thanks for illustrating my point of view so well.
    As for Disney... they dropped the ball by instigating such feelings of jealousy and discord among guests, by creating a dual class system that only complicates matters.

  9. #24

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Actually.. go hang out at Guest Relations for a while and you'll see some guests come in to complain about every possible thing there is to complain about. If we got rid of everything the guests complain about, there would be absolutely nothing left in the parks. Probably just extensive fields of grass.
    No, there will always be something to complain about because, as high tech as these parks are, the human element comes into play. As for those fields of grass... it's funny that back in the days when WDW was just that, things used to be much more magical and wonderful. Now? M'eh.

  10. #25

    • Yes?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Why was the FP system originally put in place?! - to prevent guests from waiting in such long lines!!!! I remember back in the late 90s spending hours waiting in lines. Do I wait in lines now? - No, I USE FASTPASS. It's not Disney's problem if people complain about the system when they are perfectly capable of picking up their own FP ticket.
    But you can not always get a FP for every ride that has one! They DO run out and this makes things worse. Soarin is the best example of this...I was there at 11:00am one day and the fast passes were already gone for the day, the WHOLE day. So everyone that came into the park after that was going to have to wait in line. Everest usually runs out too. So you can't say I am always capable of getting one now, can you? It is a flawed system.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

  11. #26

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,433

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    But is has not. in fact, attractions with FP has seen the longest lines EVER due to the back ups it creates for stand by guests, and since not ALL guests can participate in FP (as it would defeat the purpose) then, it's further proof the system does not benefit the majority.
    All guests DO participate (or have the opportunity). Just because there is a limited # of seats doesn't exclude anyone. Everyone has equal opportunity to get them.


    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As for Disney... they dropped the ball by instigating such feelings of jealousy and discord among guests, by creating a dual class system that only complicates matters.
    Huh? Dual class? Yet in the posts before you praise Universal for doing just that by making it a pay-for-play option?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You want the priviledge to cut to the front of the line? The you should PAY for it.

  12. #27

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,433

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    But you can not always get a FP for every ride that has one! They DO run out and this makes things worse. Soarin is the best example of this...I was there at 11:00am one day and the fast passes were already gone for the day, the WHOLE day. So everyone that came into the park after that was going to have to wait in line. Everest usually runs out too. So you can't say I am always capable of getting one now, can you? It is a flawed system.
    You are capable of getting one.. you just didn't prioritize it and so you lost out. You chose to come to the park late and therefore you had to wait rather then get a FP. They didn't discriminate against you - simply a limited capacity object is no longer available.

    For every example of extremes, there are more examples of moderation.

    Soarin of course is the most popular ride in the whole resort - FP or not you are going to be waiting a long time on any regular day. FP adds the benefit of days you can get it, you don't have to wait as long.

    I don't get everyones fascination with waiting ALL the time vs waiting some of the time. Ok.. so you don't get to ride every ride you wanted that day.. WHAT'S NEW? That's nothing new, going all the way back to well before FP. You structured your time and visits around crowds and waits. FP is no different. If you want to wait less for Space, you make sure you get a FP early - just like before, if you want to wait less for Space, you make sure you got to Space early.

  13. #28

    • Yes?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You are capable of getting one.. you just didn't prioritize it and so you lost out. You chose to come to the park late and therefore you had to wait rather then get a FP. They didn't discriminate against you - simply a limited capacity object is no longer available.
    11:00AM is late? And I never said anything about being "discriminated" against....I just said the system is flawed. I never expect to just walk onto a ride just because I DO have a FP and neither should anyone else who has one. So those with FP should not be giving dirty looks to those of us in stand-by either when their line is stopped so others can ride as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

  14. #29

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,433

    Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    11:00AM is late?
    For the single most popular attraction on property.. yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    And I never said anything about being "discriminated" against....I just said the system is flawed
    Would you prefer disenfranchised? I used 'Discriminated' in that you were excluded from participating. You were not excluded in any way except you chose not to try hard enough by getting there late. FP are a limited capacity - when they are gone they are gone. Logic says, that means if you want one and you know they are going to be popular (like Soarin... no surprise) you have to get there early.

    To throttle how many are given out in a time period (so they wouldn't run out early in the day) would simply cause more crowd problems and rushes. Just think how bad it is in the airport terminal while they call out different seating areas on the plane... now imagine that on a larger scale while people are waiting for a time window to queue up for the FP machines. That would be a disaster in space, crowds, and crowd control. The last thing you want is a rush.. and to do that all through out the day would be insane.

  15. #30

    • Disgruntled Former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Whittier / Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,263

    Cool Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

    I must agree with TDLFan 100%; those using FastPass make the (already lengthy) lines even longer for the Standby Guest, making for even more Guest Dissatisfaction. While AP Princess certainly knows how to use the FastPass to her advantage (as do most APers), she is not trying to see ALL of the Park in a day or two; she will presumedly grab a FastPass for Splash, head for a spin or two on BigThunderRR, come back for her Splash ride at the appointed time - then call it an afternoon after a Dole whip... Standby Guests are not simply "too stupid" to get a FastPass and use it, but are almost always non-APers, First Time Guests, or certainly Occasional Guests trying to see as much of the Park as possible in a limited time, while wrangling an entire family, and trying to juggle meal, show, and Parade times: it is undoubtedly annoying to watch the FastPassers / APers passing them in line on what they view as their one-and-only chance to enjoy all the E-ticket rides...

    I think that dcdlanddude has The Best solution: some Attractions should be FastPass Only *(Nemo Submarines, Splash Mountain, SpaceMountain, Soarin', Peter Pan, Autopia? - can you think of any others?); all other attractions should be FastPass-Free...
    * thereby, the FastPass could just not be utilized / turned off on those Light days when it is deemed to not be necessary; otherwise it would be in effect for Medium-to-Heavy Days...

    GREAT Thread by the way...
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 05-14-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Possible new fastpass system coming to Disney
    By Parisi in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 12:17 PM
  2. Improving the FastPass System
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 11:32 PM
  3. How to Improve the FastPass System
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 12:45 PM
  4. New Fastpass System
    By almandot in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-20-2005, 08:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •