Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I post in these threads all the time and I still fail to see why there is so much hatred towards FP - and really, this hatred is only shown in online message boards. People actually in the parks love FP. Do you ever see people complaining "God, I just hate this system!"? - NO! People using FP love it because it saves them time, and people standing by watch with jealously, wishing they had a FP.
    Yes, the FastPass queue is not a shorter wait time. BUT there are other lines. A guest holding a FastPass can go get inline twice for the same attraction, or get in any other line. A person holding a FastPass is in two places at once. Now add in the lack of enforcement for return times, and there are people standing in several places at once.

The removal of FastPass would require that Disney create queues designed to enertain and act as an element of the attraction. Apparently, top notch immersive experiences are too much to ask for these days...

I think that suggesting Disney make Fastpass an option you'd have to pay extra for would go much farther in creating a dual class system than the current FP system. Some people don't like to hear it, but every guest who comes to the park does have the chance to use it. Not necessarily for all attractions, the class system you speak of has nothing to do with which guests have more money than others, but seems to be divided on who gets to the parks when they open versus those who come later.

I use the FP system pretty efficiently. I'm not an AP holder. I use it efficiently because my knowledge of the parks helps me figure out which ones are going to be the most popular. So in EPCOT, for example, I would get FPs for Soarin', Test Track and Mission: Space, in that order.

I think the best way to make it work better for guests in the standby lines would be to enforce the one hour window in the return time. If guests have a FP but decide to eat lunch, watch a parade, go back to the hotel, etc., then you miss your time and can wait standby with the other guests.

But for guests who get to the park late and there are no fastpasses left or they are for an evening return time and not just an hour later, that's the risk you take getting there late. Before FPs, if you arrive at the park at 11, then the line for Soarin' would be incredibly long as well. If so many people are abusing the fastpass system and returning later in the day, then the standby line should move more steadily during the late morning to early afternoon, right?

I just have a difficult time understanding something. I visited over 100 times when I had an AP in the 90s. Not once did I walk around checking buildings and attractions for peeling paint or throwing a fit because the sound in the Casablanca scene in the Great Movie Ride wasn't working when I rode it, things like that. I went because I always had a great time. Next month will be the third time I've been back since I moved seven years ago. I wouldn't spend the money and waste my time going if I really thought Disney was providing bad customer service, the food was awful, and the whole park was, dare I say the catchphrase "declining by degrees". So I have a hard time understanding why those people who do think Disney is running it into the ground keep going constantly.

• Self Congratulative

As far as guest satisfaction goes, the psychology is in favor of FastPass. Let me explain:

In pre-FastPass days, most vacationers planned what they wanted to see by priority or at least had a vague idea. They went to those attractions first and waited in lines. Each attraction you went to, you planned on waiting at least for a little while. On busy days, people complained that they didn't get to see even half of what they wanted.

Fast forward to the present. People still wait in lines. Longer lines, in fact. However, most people attempt to use FastPass at least once in their day. That one experience of "walking past the lines" psychologically offsets waiting in the longer lines throughout the day. It is proven by the fact that once FastPass was introduced, the complaints of long lines dropped significantly.

As far as Disney goes, it was a win. As far as guest experience, it technically is worse, but is proven to be a non-factor due to the offset the reward of using a FastPass gives.

Personally, I like FastPass, but only because I know how to use it in my favor. I definitely think it is discriminating in that fact, seeing as most of my Fastpass knowledge came from trial an error in the parks, which first timers don't have.

I have some questions for the ex CMs out there. What percentage of guests don't either know about fast passes or don't understand them? Also how many people actually use their fast passes after the return time? On our first couple trips we never knew about returning after the "return time". I learned that from some web site and thank goodness we did. Really how many first-timers go to WDW that don't do a lot of research and aren't that savvy versus the ones that do a lot of research before their first trip or are seasoned veterans?
    Love Shaq U 38

Overated State U 24

LSU only 2 time BCS Champions

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No, there will always be something to complain about because, as high tech as these parks are, the human element comes into play. As for those fields of grass... it's funny that back in the days when WDW was just that, things used to be much more magical and wonderful. Now? M'eh.
    Wait. What? You said "no," but it sounded like you just said the same thing as i did...
    And fields of grass are for the cows

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Attn. Space Travelers....

All I'm going to say is that fastpasses at Space Mountain do in fact make the wait time for stand-by guests longer. Since we are constantly flooded with fastpasses, we have no set ratio of FP to Stand-by....thusly making the stand-by guests quite irate! While I do think some of them were dumb not to get a fastpass (as it was still available for the day), I do understand where its not always easy to orchestrate a whole day with rides, meals, shows, etc. I also think ecdlanddude's suggestion was ingenious....the current system blows!! all it does is piss people off. Even FP guests themselves complain when they cant literally walk right on the ride.

I do enjoy not having to pay for a FP (or park admission for that matter) I also dont like the fact that FP is just so readily available.....its a problem. I dont think we should charge for FP, but it needs some serious re-calibration!!! Space is a perfect example of how fastpasses can be a problem for other guests, not to mention that the machines are all out of whack!! We need to pick one or the others, so as I said, I'm all for ecdlanddude's suggestion
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    But you can not always get a FP for every ride that has one! They DO run out and this makes things worse. Soarin is the best example of this...I was there at 11:00am one day and the fast passes were already gone for the day, the WHOLE day. So everyone that came into the park after that was going to have to wait in line. Everest usually runs out too. So you can't say I am always capable of getting one now, can you? It is a flawed system.
    The system works because there is only a certain amount of allotted Fastpasses per 5 minute interval. Not everyone can get one at the same time. Like anything else, use of FP requires proper planning. Given proper planning, everyone has the opportunity to use FP.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    While AP Princess certainly knows how to use the FastPass to her advantage (as do most APers), she is not trying to see ALL of the Park in a day or two...
    Are you referring to me? Just wanted to tell you that I don't have a WDW AP...

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Good grief! Who complains?
    A LOT of people here....

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The system works because there is only a certain amount of allotted Fastpasses per 5 minute interval. Not everyone can get one at the same time. Like anything else, use of FP requires proper planning. Given proper planning, everyone has the opportunity to use FP.
    The system doesn't work because it is not used as designed. The concept of reserved spaces is lost when Return Times are not enforced and there is not a carefully managed ratio of guests. Proper utilization would then make for a wait for FastPass guests at the merge point, which would cause another set of problems.

• Yes?

A LOT of people here....
    That's the beauty of free will...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    That's the beauty of free will...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    im not an autonamaton...or w/e
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    When Fps are gone for the day... guests are not capable anymore of using the system,

I will always be greatful for Universal's decision to curtail it and add a charge to it. You want the priviledge to cut to the front of the line? The you should PAY for it.
    Hi TDL
    what are your thoughts about fastpass being distributed throughout the day: (these are completely made up #s by me and have no basis in reality, just using then to make my point) the way fast pass operates now, there are 1000 tickets to be used throughout the day, the first 1000 people thru the gate and to the machine, get those fast passes. Say its changed, and the tickets are broken up into times, from 8am to 10am 100 fast passes are given out for use during that time frame. from 11 am till 1pm another 100 are given out for use during that time frame, and so on throughtout the day. if you don't get there during your time frame, too darn bad! does anyone think that'll help?

as for universal,
    this was totally my first thought when i read the thread title.
    AND the way to go, although universal's system has some flaws as well, but thats another thread.

~Michelle

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraRose View Post
    Say its changed, and the tickets are broken up into times, from 8am to 10am 100 fast passes are given out for use during that time frame. from 11 am till 1pm another 100 are given out for use during that time frame, and so on throughtout the day. if you don't get there during your time frame, too darn bad! does anyone think that'll help?
    As I said back in post #29 this would cause more problems then it would solve. It would create crowds hovering.. waiting for the next 'block' to open up. This creates yet another queue of people lingering around an attraction. And worse.. a queue that is disorganized which means people will be cutting, pushing, etc. Throw Europeans in there who have zero concept of a queue or waiting your turn.. and you got a real mess on your hands.

That's why I gave the airport analogy. Everyone knows they can't go up until their group is called, yet people still stand around up near the gate blocking everyone else. Imagine that.. but worse.. and happening all throughout the day. UGLY

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraRose View Post
    Hi TDL
    what are your thoughts about fastpass being distributed throughout the day: (these are completely made up #s by me and have no basis in reality, just using then to make my point) the way fast pass operates now, there are 1000 tickets to be used throughout the day, the first 1000 people thru the gate and to the machine, get those fast passes. Say its changed, and the tickets are broken up into times, from 8am to 10am 100 fast passes are given out for use during that time frame. from 11 am till 1pm another 100 are given out for use during that time frame, and so on throughtout the day. if you don't get there during your time frame, too darn bad! does anyone think that'll help?
    No, and I agree with that Flyguy above me. But in regards to FP... if it had to stay (like it will), I sure would like them to adapt the same lottery system they have at TDL for show tickets... where you stick your pass in a machine and you either win or not. If they did the same thing for FP... all guests thru the day would have a chance of FPassing at their preffered attraction, without the need to run first thing in the morning to get a FP for a popular ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    The system works for YOU. But not as designed for the benefit of ALL guests ...For example, they can give out 50 tickets every 5 mins... but CMs allow up to 150 guests in the Fastpass line going to the front in 5 minutes as well.... The problem comes when within every 5 minutes, the CMs allow more FP guests to cut to the front
    than the number of tickets the machine is set to administer in the same amount of time.. It slows down the stand by lines conciderably.
    Personally, this whole FP administration is a major headache for Cms as well... and many wish the Co gave up on that idea. Seems to me there is too much drama for all involved and CMs sure do not get paid enough to put up with all that confusion, much less telling guests they can't use their FP if they are late to ride... Seems to me only the TDR CMs are good at that.

Again... it's well established that the system works to get those whouse it to the front of the line just fine... But the administration of the system and it's concequences pass the purpose of it... THAT is what bothers the heck out of me..

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants
    And fields of grass are for the cows
    Have you seen your average guest at WDW lately?

And to further explain... many here argue Universal created a dual class with selling FP. Same for Disney. What do you think FP, EMHs and all those little perks to select group of guests really are? The only difference is that if Disney DID charge for the benefit of using FP... I would not feel so dead against it because at least it's costing you MORE out of your pocket to play the system. Disney as the money hungry company it has become, should get off their "FP is free for all" crap, and charge for it. After all, they have turned their parks into a "business" and don't care much about "magic".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast