Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

Wow, what a group. Do none of you remember the lines at Space Mountain before FP? The line is never as long as that now, even with the fastpass in place. I remember when Splash Mountain opened; you could spend all day in line; I have never seen a 2 hour wait for Splash Mountain since FP came into effect.

As I said, I think FP works better for some rides, and a bit of evaluation will show which ones. I don't think you need FP for Pooh or for Peter Pan; the lines were never really all that bad and moved quickly. For the really big rides, though, I think the FP is a wonderful thing. For those who either are newbies or don't want to take the time to learn how to make the FP work, that's on them. My noodle is already working overtime to try and maximize the FP for my trip in June. My mom and step dad don't like extreme rides, so we'll use their tickets for "bonus" fast passes.

FP works fine, it just needs to be tweaked from time to time.

By the way, a little bit of sugar makes those lemons go down really nicely.

I used to work on Splash Mountain at WDW, and I can tell you right now that FastPass is an absolute nightmare 95% of the time. Here are the problems:
    1) As already mentioned, guests can return any ol' time they want, even after their FP has expired. I hated letting them in, but if I didn't, I would get in trouble. We must "preserve the magic" you know. Disney needs to change that IMMEDIATELY.
    2) When a ride breaks down, those evacuated and any people in line who are jack@ss enough to complain get FPs for any ride in the park that has a FP queue.
    3) Rider switch passes. Yeah, they may be fine and dandy for people who have babies (why on earth would you bring a baby to a theme park?), but that accounts for a lot more people than most realize, especially when one ticket is good for THREE people, two of whom have probably already ridden once. And often, all it takes to get one of these passes is to ask a line greeter, whether you have a small child or not. *I* would always ask to see the child so I knew that it wasn't just someone trying to beat the system, but I know many other CMs didn't care. Also, one time, a woman with child asked me for a rider switch pass while I was at one of the greeter positions. At that moment, rotation went through, and a second after I got to my next position (FP Return), the same exact same woman with the same child came and asked me for another one. I called her on it, and she point blank refused to admit it. In the end, I had to give her another, because she easily could have asked to speak to a manager, and I'd be unable to prove my case. Moral of the story: people abuse these passes as well.
    Obviously the problems with 2 and 3 are that they add a LARGE number of people into the FP queue who doesn't even have technical "FastPasses." And when the FP lane gets backed up, we often have to increase the ratio of FP/Stand-by to 100:10, 100:5, or even greater. And when people in the stand-by line see the FP lane whizzing by them, they yell at us, call us terrible names, threaten us with physical violence (it only happened once to me), and tell us that they are going to complain about me (or whoever else is at the FP merge position) specifically to Guest Relations despite the fact that I tell them I'm just doing my job. I "obviously don't know how to do it then," they respond. Yeah, thanks for making me feel responsible for single-handedly ruining your vacation.
    And I can attest to the fact that despite having FPs, the stand-by line for Splash Mountain would OFTEN be longer than two hours, if not more.

Also, to the person who commented on the "psychology" of not waiting in line for just one ride, here's the "psychology" for the rest of their line-waiting experience: people don't like waiting in line, sure. But if the line at least keeps moving, then they know that they are constantly getting closer. The trouble comes in when the stand-by line is stopped, not just for seconds, but often for MINUTES at a time with no sense of progress being made. Would you rather wait in an hour line that is constantly moving, or would you rather wait in an hour line that is constantly stopped? Think of interstate traffic...

The FAST PASS system needs to go. I work at Disney-MGM and at rope drop there is literally a stampede of people heading to Tower of Terror and Rock-N-Roller Coaster. 10 minutes later I see and almost reverse stampede because now all these people have fastpasses and are heading elsewhere.

I agree with everything TDL Fan said about Fast Pass. The system needs to abolished or made into one that requires an extra fee. As much as I love Disney, I really think Universal is doing their system right. Both have flaws, but at Universal if your stupid enough to pay for it, it's your own fault.

As far as Disney goes, Disney management needs to start getting a back bone when it comes to guests. If the ticket says to return between 1:00 and 2:00pm then get your a** back there and get on the ride. If you don't make it, too bad you lose. Start enforcing the return times on these attractions. If the ride breaks down, oh well. If you didn't have a fast pass, then you wouldn't be able to ride it anyway. When you got the fast pass, well that was the gamble you took at that time. You decided not to wait for 20 minutes at 9:15am, and opted for a fast pass that says to come back at 12:30pm-1:30pm, but guess what the ride broke down at 11:00 and well too bad. You should have thought about that at 9:15am.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by natatomic View Post
    Yeah, they may be fine and dandy for people who have babies (why on earth would you bring a baby to a theme park?)
    Way to put your foot in your mouth. Spoken from true ignorance of a family's situation.

Here's a reason - they are part of your family?
    Here's another reason - its not just BABIES but also children who don't want to ride or are too small to ride.

Children are not a pet. You don't leave some food and water for them and say 'see you when we get back'.

Not all children want to get on all rides, and you can't leave them alone. Ride Switch allows the adults to enjoy themselves as well. Remember.. that concept Walt had?

Also, to the person who commented on the "psychology" of not waiting in line for just one ride, here's the "psychology" for the rest of their line-waiting experience: people don't like waiting in line, sure. But if the line at least keeps moving, then they know that they are constantly getting closer. The trouble comes in when the stand-by line is stopped, not just for seconds, but often for MINUTES at a time with no sense of progress being made. Would you rather wait in an hour line that is constantly moving, or would you rather wait in an hour line that is constantly stopped? Think of interstate traffic...
    But the lines always stop regardless of FP for a number of reasons. The same 'logic' applies with or without FP. The difference is while they are stopped, they see people moving. It's just like being frustrated that your lane of traffic isn't moving but the other one is. The guy in the other lane is only going to get there 45 seconds before you do, but it still irritates people.

The wait is more frustrating then it is actually longer.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

I used to work on Splash Mountain at WDW, and I can tell you right now that FastPass is an absolute nightmare 95% of the time. Here are the problems:
    1) As already mentioned, guests can return any ol' time they want, even after their FP has expired. I hated letting them in, but if I didn't, I would get in trouble. We must "preserve the magic" you know. Disney needs to change that IMMEDIATELY.
    2) When a ride breaks down, those evacuated and any people in line who are jack@ss enough to complain get FPs for any ride in the park that has a FP queue.
    3) Rider switch passes. Yeah, they may be fine and dandy for people who have babies (why on earth would you bring a baby to a theme park?), but that accounts for a lot more people than most realize, especially when one ticket is good for THREE people, two of whom have probably already ridden once. And often, all it takes to get one of these passes is to ask a line greeter, whether you have a small child or not. *I* would always ask to see the child so I knew that it wasn't just someone trying to beat the system, but I know many other CMs didn't care. Also, one time, a woman with child asked me for a rider switch pass while I was at one of the greeter positions. At that moment, rotation went through, and a second after I got to my next position (FP Return), the same exact same woman with the same child came and asked me for another one. I called her on it, and she point blank refused to admit it. In the end, I had to give her another, because she easily could have asked to speak to a manager, and I'd be unable to prove my case. Moral of the story: people abuse these passes as well.
    Obviously the problems with 2 and 3 are that they add a LARGE number of people into the FP queue who doesn't even have technical "FastPasses." And when the FP lane gets backed up, we often have to increase the ratio of FP/Stand-by to 100:10, 100:5, or even greater. And when people in the stand-by line see the FP lane whizzing by them, they yell at us, call us terrible names, threaten us with physical violence (it only happened once to me), and tell us that they are going to complain about me (or whoever else is at the FP merge position) specifically to Guest Relations despite the fact that I tell them I'm just doing my job. I "obviously don't know how to do it then," they respond. Yeah, thanks for making me feel responsible for single-handedly ruining your vacation.
    And I can attest to the fact that despite having FPs, the stand-by line for Splash Mountain would OFTEN be longer than two hours, if not more.

i agree that people abuse the rider switches and such....ive had the same thing happen to me at Space mtn. Person was dumb enough to come back after i had rotated to FP Distribution and repeats her same "story" over again, so i say "ma'am, i just gave you one 5 minutes ago." Needless to say, she was embarassed.

I have had the privelage of being yelled at and physically abused by guests in stand-by just beause we let "too many" FP's in. Even if they havent waited longer than the posted wait time, if they arent moving and see FP going by, they get pissed - theres the sense of entitlement kicking in. These people get very abusive when they arent moving forward.....i say FP is trouble...replace it!! its crap!!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    The FAST PASS system needs to go. I work at Disney-MGM and at rope drop there is literally a stampede of people heading to Tower of Terror and Rock-N-Roller Coaster. 10 minutes later I see and almost reverse stampede because now all these people have fastpasses and are heading elsewhere.

I don't see what the problem is with this "reverse" stampede. It shows that at least those people understand how to use Fastpass and are using it the way Disney intended. They have the option to ride those rides after they get their fastpass. But they took their fastpasses and can now go to other attractions or shops in the park. Doesn't sound like FP abuse to me. And if there are any people who don't know about FP or use the FP system, then that makes the standby lines near opening that much shorter for them.

I would have no problem if Disney decided to enforce the fastpass return window. I do think if that time passes due to a mechanical failure and those guests approach a CM during that window, then they should be given another FP to return anytime after the ride is open.

From the comments of cast members in this thread, it seems to be that there are more problems created by guests who don't have FPs in the standby lines than there are from the people using FP. I also use the baby swap from time to time and while I am sure there is some abuse of that, I'd be interested to see concrete information on how big of a problem that really is.

As for who would take a baby to a theme park? I would. I've taken both of my daughters to Disneyland when they were babies. They couldn't ride the bigger rides, but they could ride most of the Fantasyland rides, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. They clearly enjoyed seeing the characters and parades. I don't think it's any stranger to bring your baby to a theme park than it is for adults without children to go to a theme park that was designed for families.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Way to put your foot in your mouth. Spoken from true ignorance of a family's situation.

Here's a reason - they are part of your family?
    Here's another reason - its not just BABIES but also children who don't want to ride or are too small to ride.

Children are not a pet. You don't leave some food and water for them and say 'see you when we get back'.

Not all children want to get on all rides, and you can't leave them alone. Ride Switch allows the adults to enjoy themselves as well. Remember.. that concept Walt had?
    Put my foot in my mouth, eh? No, I fully understand that a baby is part of the family - I'm not ignorant. But a baby isn't going to get anything from going to Disney at that age. Even if they CAN ride a few attractions, they're not going to remember it when they're older. And they're certainly not going to have any idea of what's going on or have any reason to know that this is supposed to be "fun," especially when they're in 95-100 degree weather all day. It's one thing if it's a toddler, who will at least (at the time) enjoy seeing characters or going on a few attractions, even if he does forget about it when he's older, but it's another when you have a baby, aged only a few months, who is just being lugged around, pushed in a cumbersome stroller, and in need of constant attention (feedings, diaper changes, naps, etc.) Besides, have you ever heard of GRANDPARENTS? They are usually both able and willing to take a grandchild for a few days.

Don't get me wrong, a new child is a wonderful gift, and yes Disney is a place for children, but babies will get nothing out of Disney and Disney will do nothing for them until they reach a certain age, i.e. at least toddler-age.

And actually, Rider Switch Passes are supposed to be ONLY for people who have children who are too small to ride. Someone in the party doesn't WANT to ride? Tough. That once became an issue with a guest, and I had my managers and coordinators to back me up on it.

• Why can't you tune a fish

And actually, Rider Switch Passes are supposed to be ONLY for people who have children who are too small to ride. Someone in the party doesn't WANT to ride? Tough. That once became an issue with a guest, and I had my managers and coordinators to back me up on it.

I don't see what the big deal about a swap/switch is.

The whole party is supposed to wait in line, correct. Then when you get to the front, one person rides while the other waits with the kid. Then when the other rider is done, they come over and "relieve" the other parent and that person gets to ride.

Both people waited in line - or at least were supposed to. How is getting a pass "cheating" - you still have to wait in line for it, or at least I allways had to. Yes, sometimes you get an FP because you cannot wait in the load area, but must wait outside the attraction, but you still waited in line to get the FP.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

I won't disagree with you that babies won't remember it. But, speaking as a parent who's taken babies, I can assure you the parents will remember it. Now there are parents who will push their small children until they completely break down, but there are many more of us who don't, and who manage to get through a day at the parks without running over somebody with the stroller.

I still remember the looks on my daughters' faces when they saw the characters. That alone is worth it to me. Sure, they can't ride Thunder Mountain, but there are plenty of other attractions they can enjoy. I didn't want grandparents to take them, I wanted to see them enjoying themselves. We have pictures and memories of them having a good time.

On our last vacation to Disney World, my youngest was 14 months. She doesn't remember a darn thing, but I remember Pooh coming over at 1900 Park Fare and her practically launching herself out of her high chair to hug him. And sitting there staring at Goofy at Cape May as he stroked her head. And wasting my ticket to the Very Merry Christmas Party because it was 30 degrees and not wanting her to get a cough, but then walking her all over the Port Orleans resorts (mostly indoors). Disney World is a great place for babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    The whole party is supposed to wait in line, correct. Then when you get to the front, one person rides while the other waits with the kid. Then when the other rider is done, they come over and "relieve" the other parent and that person gets to ride.
    The problem is that each pass allows three people to ride, so more than likely two of the people get to ride again, only they get to go in the FP lane (just adding to the already backed-up queue). It's almost as if they ride once, they get a FP for nothing, but not everyone in the park gets that same courtesy.
    Sure, if there was a little kid, 5 or 6 years old, who didn't want to ride, I'd give the family a pass and let that be the end of it. It's no fun for a parent to miss out when they have a child who's afraid, and it's definitely not fun to watch a kid screaming because his parents force him to ride. But when it's a teenager or an adult who "doesn't want to ride," well, then they can just wait on their own while everyone else rides. Or they can wait with them in line, cross the "chicken bridge," (as it is truthfully called) and wait for their party on the other side.

Basically, it's a flawed system. I mean, just look at how much I'm contradicting myself: "Only if the child is too small, but in your case I'll make an exception...yadda yadda yadda..." The main problem is that there aren't really any set "rules" with it, since the few rules it DOES have are never actually enforced. And if I TRIED to enforce them (like not letting people in past their FP time), then *I* would get in trouble for it. I don't know how to improve on it, but SOMETHING has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus View Post

On our last vacation to Disney World, my youngest was 14 months. She doesn't remember a darn thing, but I remember Pooh coming over at 1900 Park Fare and her practically launching herself out of her high chair to hug him. And sitting there staring at Goofy at Cape May as he stroked her head. And wasting my ticket to the Very Merry Christmas Party because it was 30 degrees and not wanting her to get a cough, but then walking her all over the Port Orleans resorts (mostly indoors). Disney World is a great place for babies.
    That's exactly what I was talking about. 14 months is getting into the todder age-range, and at that point they can at least understand the sense of fun and be entertained by the characters. They can probably even enjoy a ride on Buzz Lightyear or see Philharmagic and be entertained. It's the 2- and 3-month-old babies, who can barely hold their necks up on their own and are just totally confused as to how that giant fuzzy creature is supposed to fit into the world around them.

Yes, but even at that age, I loved seeing their reactions to things. And the pictures we have are well worth it. Plus, they'd go down for a nap a whole lot easier than they do now! My point is that people bring their babies and young children with them to Disney parks because it's a great place for them to be together as a family. It may not make sense to people who don't have kids, but it makes as much sense to me as seeing adults with no children riding Dumbo or Peter Pan.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Put my foot in my mouth, eh? No, I fully understand that a baby is part of the family - I'm not ignorant. But a baby isn't going to get anything from going to Disney at that age. Even if they CAN ride a few attractions, they're not going to remember it when they're older. And they're certainly not going to have any idea of what's going on or have any reason to know that this is supposed to be "fun," especially when they're in 95-100 degree weather all day.
    You are so wrong - sorry you didn't have a good childhood. Others of us who did goto the parks young, do remember it (my first trip was at 4yrs old).

And this isn't just about 'babies'. Kids as old as 7 or 8 are not tall enough to ride many of the attractions. So please, take your pent up anger somewhere else. When you actually grow up and see the other side of the fence you'll understand.

Besides, have you ever heard of GRANDPARENTS? They are usually both able and willing to take a grandchild for a few days.
    Glad you are so informed of every family's situation.

Disney is never going to deny a parent from riding because they must watch their child.

You just seem pent up on how Disney implemented rider switch. Well boo hoo.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Both people waited in line - or at least were supposed to. How is getting a pass "cheating" - you still have to wait in line for it, or at least I allways had to. Yes, sometimes you get an FP because you cannot wait in the load area, but must wait outside the attraction, but you still waited in line to get the FP.

-dave
    Correct - you still waited.

Most attractions send you to the exit to wait because they don't want you lingering on the platform and because load isn't always at the same location as unload. So they send you to the exit with the pass and tell you to return in the FP line for those with FP.

• Why can't you tune a fish

The problem is that each pass allows three people to ride, so more than likely two of the people get to ride again, only they get to go in the FP lane (just adding to the already backed-up queue). It's almost as if they ride once, they get a FP for nothing, but not everyone in the park gets that same courtesy.
    Sure, if there was a little kid, 5 or 6 years old, who didn't want to ride, I'd give the family a pass and let that be the end of it. It's no fun for a parent to miss out when they have a child who's afraid, and it's definitely not fun to watch a kid screaming because his parents force him to ride. But when it's a teenager or an adult who "doesn't want to ride," well, then they can just wait on their own while everyone else rides. Or they can wait with them in line, cross the "chicken bridge," (as it is truthfully called) and wait for their party on the other side.

Basically, it's a flawed system. I mean, just look at how much I'm contradicting myself: "Only if the child is too small, but in your case I'll make an exception...yadda yadda yadda..." The main problem is that there aren't really any set "rules" with it, since the few rules it DOES have are never actually enforced. And if I TRIED to enforce them (like not letting people in past their FP time), then *I* would get in trouble for it. I don't know how to improve on it, but SOMETHING has to change.

Why would anybody give a rider swap pass to a person because someone who is capable of watching themselves does not want to ride? Two parents and a 16 year old kids go to WDW. The kid does not want to ride something, so you send him or her off to do something else while the parents wait in line (or as you said, they can all wait together, and then the kid use the chicken bridge). There is no reason at all for a rider swap to be issued in this case.

As far as multiple riders on the same pass, yes that is true, and I will admit to have done it with my kids.

My oldest was tall enough, my youngest was not. Me and my oldest went on the ride while the youngest waited with mom. Then mom went on the ride and my oldest went with her again (for "free" so to speak)

I was VERY suprised that this was allowed. It was told to me by the CMs "you know, your kid can ride again" It was then explained to me like this

Two parents and two kids waited in line - thats 4 riders.

Two parents went once each, one kid went twice, one did not ride - thats 4 rides.

Four riders waited and used four ride slots - all is good.

They also said that very often a parent wants to go with a child to enjoy the ride with them, and having one parent do that and the other go as a single rider has upset some people. I can fully understand that and support that logic as well. Somtimes the best part of the ride is watching how my kids react to it.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast