Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Disneyholic

What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

I have witnessed a lot of FastPass bashing in the forums again and it got me thinking, now before I get drawn and quartered for asking this remember I am a management type and as such I have to say that its very easy for us to armchair quarterback the fast pass system, some love it some hate it but lets face facts its there, in place and a good chunk of of Disney's customers have come to depend on it. So the big question is for those of you who seem determined to see its demise: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

Before you answer just think about it, FP does add a benefit to its users, it gives them freedom from waiting in line. Parents with small kids will tell you most children just will not wait for an hour or more to ride a ride without driving someone (their parents or other guests) nuts from sheer boredom. The parks are a lot more crowded than they where back in the late 70's and all when I started visiting, without the ticket books the lines grow longer at some rides more so than others, and I for one do not miss waiting in line for two hours for Splash mountain and other E ticket rides.

Fast Pass also benefits Disney since instead of waiting in line the guests are hopefully spending money on food, highly marked up junk in the gift shops or at least waiting in a shorter line and having a better overall Disney experience which in turn means repeat customers. (insert "cha-ching sound here")

So for now assume you are the person in charge, responsible for replacing the FastPass system or keeping it in place: What is YOUR solution that would please both the current FastPass Users and Disney Park Management what would you do?

Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Re: What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?

Good grief! Who complains? I love fastpass, especially because it's free, unlike almost every other park that has it. If anything, I think it just needs to be monitored and modified depending upon how well it works with a certain ride.

For instance, before HM had fastpass, the line moved quickly, even if it appeared to be long. Then, a few years back, after HM had the FP, the line was much, much longer and took much longer to go through if you didn't have a FP. Now, from what I've heard, HM has lost the FP. Great job.

I think that some rides just don't need it, but again, careful monitoring of the line lengths and times will tell you which one.

What I'd like to see are more rides with single rider lines.

Oh, one last thing. A few years back I went to DL and was overjoyed to find out that anyone staying on-property got unlimited fastpasses. THAT, I'd like to see at WDW, even if it was only for a few of the FP rides. Maybe a rotating unlimited fastpass: one day for value resorts, one for moderate, one for the high end; or maybe dissect it even more, one day for certain resorts, the next day for certain resorts and so on.

Good luck!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Good grief! Who complains? I love fastpass, especially because it's free, unlike almost every other park that has it. If anything, I think it just needs to be monitored and modified depending upon how well it works with a certain ride.
    Plenty of people complain. The larger parks of Walt Disney World do get to avoid the crowding issue that Disneyland faces.

For instance, before HM had fastpass, the line moved quickly, even if it appeared to be long. Then, a few years back, after HM had the FP, the line was much, much longer and took much longer to go through if you didn't have a FP. Now, from what I've heard, HM has lost the FP. Great job.
    That is how the lines will react when operated as designed.

Oh, one last thing. A few years back I went to DL and was overjoyed to find out that anyone staying on-property got unlimited fastpasses. THAT, I'd like to see at WDW, even if it was only for a few of the FP rides. Maybe a rotating unlimited fastpass: one day for value resorts, one for moderate, one for the high end; or maybe dissect it even more, one day for certain resorts, the next day for certain resorts and so on.
    That never happened the way you described. The Enhanced FastPass was only available to guests who booked a Disney room via AAA. It was not everybody staying in a Disney room. The Enhanced FastPass disappeared when the Year of a Million Dreams started as not to compete with FastPass prizes.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I wouldn't have anything in place of FastPass. I'd do away with the whole thing.

Re: the enhanced fastpass: I don't know how long it lasted, but I definitely received the benefit of the unlimited fastpasses, and I definitely bought directly through Disney Travel. I went in the summer of 2003. Although, you seem pretty sure of yourself, with your "nevers" and "nots"; perhaps you know best -- but I did get enhanced fastpass because I was staying on property, whether you believe it or not. So there.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I wouldn't have anything in place of FastPass. I'd do away with the whole thing.
    Ok, but how would you address the issues FastPass was implemented to address? Such as long lines, dissatisfied customers who only get to see a few items during a rushed 3-4 day visit to WDW? What would you do to satisfy the "FastPass-o-philes" who might stop visiting if Disney pulled it all together?

Pulling out FastPass altogether without a plan would be like eliminating the HOV or express lane on a major highway, not everyone uses it but those that do have probably come to depend on it and you would not be in office long if you just pulled it and didn't provide some other alternatives.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• no flash photography...

I love fast pass and the only thing I would change is to charge for them. That may stop some of the abuse...or be a bit more strict on the return time.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Re: the enhanced fastpass: I don't know how long it lasted, but I definitely received the benefit of the unlimited fastpasses, and I definitely bought directly through Disney Travel. I went in the summer of 2003. Although, you seem pretty sure of yourself, with your "nevers" and "nots"; perhaps you know best -- but I did get enhanced fastpass because I was staying on property, whether you believe it or not. So there.
    You were either there during a special promotion, or got lucky in the use of machines. Disneyland had (has?) networked and non-networked FastPass machines. A guest could hold one networked FastPass and an unlimited number of non-networked FastPasses.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Simple... I'd rename it 'return pass' and actually enforce the way the system is designed

All this hording of FP all day would stop and you'd allow the load distribution model to actually do its job.

As far as I'm concerned.. it's DLR that has the FP problem due to space and implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Simple... I'd rename it 'return pass' and actually enforce the way the system is designed

All this hording of FP all day would stop and you'd allow the load distribution model to actually do its job.

As far as I'm concerned.. it's DLR that has the FP problem due to space and implementation.

I hear you, as it's currently implemented guests go around pick up the passes then return at their leisure completely ignoring the return time on the ticket. Since Imagineers implemented the system with return times printed on the tickets there is no need to change the name of the system. Cast Members simply need to stand up to guests and re-educate, will people be mad? You bet! However the system would function better. Customer Service would suffer a bit though as guests would line up and complain at Guest Relations. Disney has decided that is not worth the hassle and therefore we have a system that is a bit broken and in extreme cases may be creating a second class of guest on property.

• no flash photography...

^^i
    agree and the excuse of not enforcing the fast pass times because the guest could have been on a ride that broke down is silly. Every time I've been on a ride that broke down i got a pass to go on any ride I wanted. So, in essence they have a fast pass.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    What would you do in place of the current FastPass system?
    I would eliminate it altogether and return to the old fashion first come, first serve format. It's that simple. It's not cool to make "line cutting" politically correct.

FP does add a benefit to its users, it gives them freedom from waiting in line.
    Yes, but the users are a small minority when compared to the majority stuck in the stand by line... and especially those who at no fault, arrive at a popular ride to find out the FPs are gone for the day, forcing you to make a decision to bite th bullet and wait, or skip. The system is terribly unfair.

Parents with small kids will tell you most children just will not wait for an hour or more to ride a ride without driving someone (their parents or other guests) nuts from sheer boredom.
    Excuses, excuses... Do you think adults don't get bored to oblivion waiting in WDW's stale queues for over an hour or two?

The parks are a lot more crowded than they where back in the late 70's and all when I started visiting, without the ticket books the lines grow longer at some rides more so than others, and I for one do not miss waiting in line for two hours for Splash mountain and other E ticket rides.
    Again.. excuses. Lines are a fact of life in themed parks. Besides... you are being selfish. Your going to the front of the line, is causing someone else to stand by for much longer on the other line. I don't see how that is fair. And before you defend the point by saying the same old "everyone is able to use FP" excuse... the fact is that is correct to a certain degree, but once FPs are gone, so is the "equal opportunity" for all. As for parents with children.... well, too bad. Leave the kids at home so we adults can enjoy the parks much better.

Fast Pass also benefits Disney since instead of waiting in line the guests are hopefully spending money on food, highly marked up junk in the gift shops or at least waiting in a shorter line and having a better overall Disney experience which in turn means repeat customers. (insert "cha-ching sound here")
    It has already been established that FP does not help Disney bring in any more shop and food income than before, so that argument goes out the window with me.

So for now assume you are the person in charge, responsible for replacing the FastPass system or keeping it in place: What is YOUR solution that would please both the current FastPass Users and Disney Park Management what would you do?
    [quote]

Simple. Charge for the use of FP, as an add-on option when you purchase your tickets. That way.. Disney management can hear the "cha-ching" sound, and those of us who do not believe in the fairness of the system can hope for lesser people using the system so the stand by lines can move faster. Or else... again, pull the plug on it altogether.

Furthermore... CMs must enforce the return time. You got there late..? well TOO BAD. When you took a FP ouf of the machine knowing ahead of time your return time, you should be there before then. As far as I know, FP is a contract a guest agrees to comply with once they take that ticket off the machine. My frustration is no ona at WDW has the balls to deny entry and confiscate the ticket if you show up late or try to use it at a later date. At TDL... lottery tickets for shows clearly state that the ticket becomes invalid and Null if for some reason the show can't be performed. Same should apply when attractions shut down... Got FP for 3-4pm for Test Track, and it's closed due to rainy weather during that time... TOO BAD. No go for you.

THAT will make FP more fair to all guests alike.

Finally... CMs/family using a Main gate Pass or guests with complimentary admission should be banned for obtaining FPs as well. Paying guests should come first, always... reason why I would love to see Disney charge for this dysfunctional system.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 05-13-2007 at 08:48 PM.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

First of all I would be up for removing it altogether as it's just a bad system to begin with.

IF I had to keep some sort of a Fastpass system I would do it like this...

First off I'd only have Fastpass available for rides that have lines so long that there is never a time of day where it has a reasonable wait such as Everest during peak season. This would eliminate it from most rides anyway.

After this I would expand Fastpass and remove the Standby line altogether. Standby and Fastpass do not get along, end of story. It's either one or the other. If Fastpass has to stay then Standby has to go, it's just the only good way to do it. After that I would have Fastpass available all day and have people insert their park ticket that would spit out a return time that's extrapolated out to the projected wait time based on the amount of Fastpasses outstanding.

If Disney implemented this it would accomplish several goals including...
    • Only needing one queue per ride, no having to mix and allowing Imagineers to do what they do best with the queues.
    • No "class" system where standby guests feel alienated.
    • No unbalanced mixing of lines.
    • Could easily be utilized or de-utilized at the park's discretion.
    • Still achieves the goals set out originally with Fastpass.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The problem with only FastPass is it would require a very specific Return Time. The high variability of guest return would just create a stand-by line.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The problem with only FastPass is it would require a very specific Return Time. The high variability of guest return would just create a stand-by line.
    I'd be ok with either of those outcomes.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast