• now on the mainland

So long WDW, thanks for the memories

My 6 month long "business trip" concluded in Tampa earlier this month. I'm back in Hawaii and get re-settled in. But my time in Florida was too great to express in words. Of course the highlight of this was my purchase of a WDW AP and getting to the resort about 2-3 times per week (excluding the month of March when all my free time was spent driving around Florida going to all the baseball spring training games). As a native Californian who has been a DL AP holder and a former DL CM, and now getting to spend so much time at WDW I believe I can now look at both properties with a balanced view. So here now is a brief report of my expierences, observations and conclusions about WDW.
    The first thing I learned I had to get over was the history factor. Disneyland, for those who are at least aware of it, is steep in Walt Disney (the man) history. WDW on the other hand has a much more "corporate/post-Walt" feel. Once I got over the fact that what I was looking at mostly came from the Walt Disney company after Walt died, I was able to enjoy the park more.
    Certain things always seemed to annoy the living crap out of me. Things like the constant announcements on the monorail by whoever does the overly happy voice. Or conductors on the parking trams who feel they need to shout into the speaker the WHOLE time from vehicle to the gate or vice versa. I would quickly grow weary of the Magic Kingdom because of the constant barrage of Princesses and Pirates. It is because of things like that the common population will find one odd because he/she likes Disney. Someone really needs to explain to the execs of the company that Disney is not all about Princesses and castles. That's why there is a Fantasyland which only makes up a fraction of the rest of the park.
    Of course there is the two big eye sores (the wand at Epcot and the hat at MGM). These two things serve no real purpose and having seen the parks before they were added (back in the summer of '98) I quickly grew to despise them.
    Finally in the area of complaints are two things that I really loved that have now been removed. First was the pizza place that has now been transformed into the Noodle station. To me, the pizza there used to be very good. I was deeply saddened to find that this had been replaced by a resturaunt that was hardly ever open. Second is the replacement of what was my favorite attraction, Alien Encounter to the now very pathetic Stitch's Escape. Just the thought of it burns me up.
    But enough with the negative, let's talk about the more positive experiences. To start off with, it was a great pleasure to meet Kevin Yee and his brother. A few years ago when I first found MiceAge I never thought I would eventually meet both Al and Kevin.
    It was great to ride the Peoplemover again...granted, they're designed differently and there is no Tron tunnel, but it is nice to ride a nice relaxing ride going through the buildings in Tomorrowland. Mission Space was a wonderful ride. I would love to ride it after hours and just leave the spinning on to see how much I could take. I could never seem to get enough of it. Rockin' Roller Coaster was very fun, but just seemed a little too short. Mt. Everest was great, and turned out to be my wife's favorite as well. Wonderful theming all around.
    Le Celliar (sp?), Alfredo's, and the French resturaunt turned out to be our favorite places to eat....ESPECIALLY Alfredo's. It made us sad to learn that Alfredo's will be leaving.
    Overall I had a wonderful time and I will be missing it. Who knows when I will return, and what changes will be made. Hopefully Spaceship Earth will be back to it's original look.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: So long WDW, thanks for the memories

Thank you for your posts! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, I appreciated the constructive comments about WDW and I agree with all of them.

Aloha!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Sounds like a good trip.

Alfredo's is coming to one of the hotels in this town, so if you ever want to do a road trip around the west maybe you'll stop in. We're only a few hours from Disneyland.

• Defying gravity

Nice TR. Take any pictures?

• Banned User

I am happy you had a great time at WDW...but c'mon!! You are in Oahu!!
    Good lord! You live in Paradise!! Wanna join me for a burger and fries at Cheeseburgers in Paradise on Kalaka'ua Ave, across from Waikiki Beach??

BTW.. your opinion on the Monorails' announcements are right on! They are to say the least... too plentifull and annoying. And like you said... WDW is too corporate which is why DL will always be a better park to visit.

Anyways... I sure hope the smokey conditions around central FL did not affect your visit.

• Banned User

Nice comments, it was a pleasure to meet you for that hour or so. I hope you well with your work in Hawaii, and enjoy Disneyland again.

• President of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI View Post
    Of course there is the two big eye sores (the wand at Epcot and the hat at MGM). These two things serve no real purpose and having seen the parks before they were added (back in the summer of '98) I quickly grew to despise them.
    We just got back from our first ever WDW trip...and I don't know how accurate this is, but the security guard at the Epcot entrance was telling EVERYONE to get their pictures now of the wand, as it's scheduled to be removed permanently in July. Maybe just a rumor, but....

• Banned User

I will believe that when I actually see it being dismantled for good.

• Banned User

I hope you enjoyed your stay in the sunshine state. I must admit though parts of Hawaii are truly paradise. oh and isn't the Spaceship Earth attraction going down for rehab in july? maybe thats what the security guard meant.

• Pixiedust?

I wish they would take that wand down already. It was much better off without it.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

The wand has to be one of the biggest grumbles amoung the Disney Fanbase so I think it will be gone before to long. It's just so out of place....

• President of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    Ioh and isn't the Spaceship Earth attraction going down for rehab in july? maybe thats what the security guard meant.
    He kept calling the wand an "icon", but I asked him if he meant the arm/wand thing and he said "yeah, so be sure to get pictures of it today because after July you'll never be able to do so again". He was REALLY in to telling every guest this; struck me as odd. He was totally fixated on it.

I was indifferent to the wand at first, but after watching Illuminations, and then looking at Spaceship Earth, the wand really started looking out of place to me. I also noticed lots of light bulbs burned out on the "Epcot" portion; perhaps they're blowing off maintenance in anticipation of removal?

• Pixiedust?

I thought the wand was sort of neat for the year 2000 when the wand said '2000' on it instead of 'Epcot'. But I thought at first it was only going to be on Spaceship Earth for that year. Then again, I was only 10, haha.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by LilRah08 View Post
    I thought the wand was sort of neat for the year 2000 when the wand said '2000' on it instead of 'Epcot'. But I thought at first it was only going to be on Spaceship Earth for that year. Then again, I was only 10, haha.
    Everytime WDW spends millions on dollars to erect such type of things... you just KNOW they will be there for the long haul..
    and MARK MY WORDS!!! ---> This "YEAR" of the Million Dreams campaign??
    It will last at least TWO years...

You heard it here first.

• Pixiedust?

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Everytime WDW spends millions on dollars to erect such type of things... you just KNOW they will be there for the long haul..
    and MARK MY WORDS!!! ---> This "YEAR" of the Million Dreams campaign??
    It will last at least TWO years...

You heard it here first.
    Well, I didn't really care about those things when I was 10, lived in Florida, and went to WDW at least once a month, haha.

But I think this Year of a Million Dreams will probably last 3 years or so.