Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Missing Horizons.

With all the problems Mission Space has caused, does anyone just want good old Horizons back? It was a perfect family ride and NOT dated at all.

• Banned User

It was definitely a cool ride and I would not have minded if they had kept it. BUt I understand it was taken down because of concerns about the building structure, more than dated show or poor attendance.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    I think the building structure conerns are kind of false. It was only 15 or so years old.

• Banned User

For the first time, I agree that Horizons should come back with a little different form. You see, Horizons was the sequel to Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. CoP stops now, Horizons took it beyond that and into the future. I'd like to see an updated Horizons come back in perhaps a different form.

• far, far away from DL

I miss Horizons too. It was a great ride. Great memories of that ride.

Sabrina

Sorry, guys/gals but Horizons ain't coming back in any form. That's called Disney geek blue-skying. Not happening.

As to the building, Disney was going to originally retrofit it for Mission Space but the structure wasn't sound enough to do so at the cost Disney wanted to bring the project in for. It was deemed less costly to demolish the old building and start anew.

• Banned User

Never said it was, my friend, but none the less, I'd like to see something Horizons-like be built.

• Old Timer

The days of Mission Space are numbered, what are we going to use the new building for now? It has a massive subfloor reinforced support system.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Best Buds

I'd still like a space theme. What about a visit to a Moon or Mars colony?
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• A Real Disney Attraction

I don't care what pre-existing condition someone has, I highly doubt a nice spin on Horizons would effect it much. Horizons wasn't my favorite attraction at Future World, but it certainly was great. I would love to see another Omnimover built to a grand scale, but Horizons was from a different era where Disney guests were not as sophisticated as today. If they were to try again, it would have to be quite different. I highly doubt anyone at Disney is up to the task, and there aren't many people left who have the innovation or inspiration.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    The days of Mission Space are numbered, what are we going to use the new building for now? It has a massive subfloor reinforced support system.
    Oh yeah, sure it is.

Disney and HP spent $150 million to close it ... that's realistic

Quote Originally Posted by ChiMike
    I don't care what pre-existing condition someone has, I highly doubt a nice spin on Horizons would effect it much.

HAH! You should have been on it with me back in 1992 when my then 30-year-old friend (who had gone on everything at the MK with no problem) basically became a quivering, crying mess on Horizons due to some weird motion sickness that developed in the giant Omnisphere rooms. I am NOT kidding about this. It was awful. We now call it HAS (Hysterical Attraction Syndrome) ... but it was NO fun when it was happening and it did ruin her day at EPCOT.

Just again proves my point that Disney can't possibly guard against every guest's possible reactions to any possible stimuli. Anyone who says differently isn't being realistic!

• A Real Disney Attraction

I've read you mention that in the past. See, like on the M:S thread, there is a difference between Horizons causing your friend motion sickness, fear, etc. and M:S or Star Tours triggering pre-existing conditions.

I don't want to duplicate the passion from the M:S thread, but this angle is relevant here. I don't think your point is proven and I think I am being realistic.

Whether it be Small World or Horizons, they are not going to trigger a seizure or aneurysm like IJA or M:S might. They are gentle rides. M:S isn't. Star Tours isn't. All rides will be plagued by problems that they aren't responsible for; they are seeing millions of guests all with specific, individual ailments, mental states, preferences, etc., but Star Tours is going to be more susceptible to these incidents then Muppets 3D.

Horizons might have screwed with a few peoples heads in the Imax Theaters, but it wasn't going to give an 8 year old a seizure.
    -Mike

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Oh yeah, sure it is.

Disney and HP spent $150 million to close it ... that's realistic
    Never say never.. Remember how much they spend on Light Tragic??

Quote Originally Posted by ChiMike
    I've read you mention that in the past. See, like on the M:S thread, there is a difference between Horizons causing your friend motion sickness, fear, etc. and M:S or Star Tours triggering pre-existing conditions.

I don't want to duplicate the passion from the M:S thread, but this angle is relevant here. I don't think your point is proven and I think I am being realistic.

Whether it be Small World or Horizons, they are not going to trigger a seizure or aneurysm like IJA or M:S might. They are gentle rides. M:S isn't. Star Tours isn't. All rides will be plagued by problems that they aren't responsible for; they are seeing millions of guests all with specific, individual ailments, mental states, preferences, etc., but Star Tours is going to be more susceptible to these incidents then Muppets 3D.

Horizons might have screwed with a few peoples heads in the Imax Theaters, but it wasn't going to give an 8 year old a seizure.

I see where you are going and basically agree, but the point is you just don't know.

My aunt, who basically was in good health, had an asthma attack after going on Alien Encounter back in 1996. No, she didn't go to the hosptial or sue Disney or much of anything ... It wasn't fear that triggered it. It was something we could never have expected. The water that was squirted out when the alien is in the tube went into her face, startled her and brought on the attack. No way was it reasonable to assume that would happen. She rode everything else, including ToT, which she wasn't thrilled about doing with no reactions.

So I'm gonna stick with my original point. Yeah, it's more likely someone will have a bad reaction to a motion-based thrill ride than a ride like Horizons or even Small World ... BUT anything can cause a health problem.

That's why one death in 8.6 million rides, however tragic, is statistically insignificant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast