Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trip Report: MY FIRST TRIP TO WDW!

I just returned from 5 great days at Walt Disney World... my FIRST trip! We really had lots of fun and I enjoyed being able to explore all the parks. I go to Disneyland here in California often, so it was fun to go somewhere different.

So, of course we had a great time... but I also have quite a few criticisms. After visiting Disney World, I'm able to put in perspective all of Kevin Yee's comments in his "Declining by Degrees" columns.

I most most disappointed with the overall maintenance of the resort. On the surface level, most everything looks nice... but it's the smaller details that Disney is slipping on. Just one example that pops to my head... the exit walkway/escalator at Space Mountain (area with video camera and monitor). This really needs to be updated! I also found the parking lots of all the parks to be in poor condition.... lines and markings are in serious need of repainting in many areas.

Also, the Ticket and Transportation Center is an eyesore... looks very tacky. It seems to me that the main transportation hub of the resort would be much better designed.

At Animal Kingdom, the safari attraction was a disappointment - we saw very few animals. Seems like the attraction is in need of some "refreshment." Also, about the new restaurant that is being built - when did it become ok to let guests see the construction? Why is the wall not taller, as to not take away from the theming??

Epcot is my favorite park... The World Showcase area is well done and it's great interacting with the Cast Members from all around the world. The Future World area of the park is another story. It is very outdated and there are not many references to the future. I didn't have a chance to explore Innoventions. Are they working on revamping that?

Those are just a few of my comments for now. Again, everyone had a good time... but I hate to see them slipping on park upkeep - Not just physical maintenance, but also reinvisioning the parks and creating unique attractions too.

Your thoughts?

• For You!

Re: Trip Report: MY FIRST TRIP TO WDW!

I'd love to hear the positive things you experienced!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I'd love to hear the positive things you experienced!
    Yes, please put your rose colored glassed on and let's hear why it was great!!!
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• We'll hold them at bay

Disney is the kind of place where you talk about the bd things because they kind of stand out. Even if is "declining by degrees" its still a helluva good vaca
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

There were lots of great things about the trip... but I can't help but point out how much TLC the resort needs!!!!

• If We Can Dream It...

Nothing like jumping on the "bash WDW" bandwagon...

While it's too bad there are still major problems, it wouldn't hurt to discuss other parts of the trip, even if they were mediocre at best.

So disneyfun, can you please share more.
    - Horizonsfan

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
    Nothing like jumping on the "bash WDW" bandwagon...

While it's too bad there are still major problems, it wouldn't hurt to discuss other parts of the trip, even if they were mediocre at best.

So disneyfun, can you please share more.
    Ok. Let me duck before the bullets start flying. I find it very interesting that it has been an hour and no one has posted anything yet. If it was Disneyland the OP was writing about there would be at least 1 or 2 additional pages by now of people posting for and against.

WDW is supposedly declining by degrees and it looks like it will continue to do so until more people actually get interested in maintaining its integrity as much as they do with Disneyland.

• If We Can Dream It...

Oh no, I wasn't meaning to bash the OP, I was kind of kidding. But, also, I want to hear more about the trip than just the bad stuff. I hope my comments weren't offensive or mean.
    - Horizonsfan

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
    Oh no, I wasn't meaning to bash the OP, I was kind of kidding. But, also, I want to hear more about the trip than just the bad stuff. I hope my comments weren't offensive or mean.
    Oh no. Nothing like that. I agree with you 100%. I was making more of a statement about the whole concept of declining by degrees, especially at WDW. In the DL forum an op about chipped paint can easily generate a thread 10 pages long while similar observations about problems at WDW don't seem to generate a similar response. Just an observation. Disneyland has its own declining by degrees issues, I guess it's just that us Disneylanders gripe a lot more about it! LOL

But I totally understand what you were saying.

Now, yes, let's hear some good news about the trip!

Ok... sorry for starting out so negative. It just frustrates me to see the poor upkeep in many areas around the resort.

As for the good parts of the trip, here are some of them:

- Not too crowded... we had lots of time to enjoy the attractions.
    - The World Showcase at Epcot is beautiful... we loved trying out different types of food from all around the world... and interacting with the cast members from those countries.
    - Adding an extra day to our park hopper (5th day) for only $2 per ticket... AWESOME!
    - Experiencing all the attractions the parks have to offer and comparing them to the same ones at Disneyland.
    - Most of the Cast Members we met were very nice.
    - Using Disney PhotoPass for the first time... it's a great system!
    - Overall, just spending valuable time with friends and family.

I must say, there is something very special about Disney parks. I visited Universal Studios Orlando for one day... and I just wasn't getting the same feeling that I got from being in the Disney parks.

Thanks for all your comments, guys.

[quote=disneyfun;1763047]
    At Animal Kingdom, the safari attraction was a disappointment - we saw very few animals. Seems like the attraction is in need of some "refreshment." Also, about the new restaurant that is being built - when did it become ok to let guests see the construction? Why is the wall not taller, as to not take away from the theming??

quote]

The Safari is fine. When you see the animals varies time to time. My advice, you should have went early in the morning to see more animals.

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

oh my my my!! i can't believe you went to WDW and have found something to complain about? i am shocked! :O

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

There are definitely areas of WDW that needs a new coat of paint and whatnot. I try not to look for stuff like that but it usually ends up staring me in the face whether I like it or not. WDW's management sucks and needs a major overhaul.

• Circle of Ancients

It's weird, in 10 days in Florida last year I didn't notice anything like that ... then again I wasn't explicitly looking for it.

I mean, the Mansion definitely needed some work, but I wasn't there to see what didn't look as good as Disneyland, I was there to have a great time, and we did.

I found many things that I enjoyed more than Disneyland.

If you go ANYWHERE and look for things wrong, your going to find them.

• Banned User

How about a trip report? pictures would be awsome, and what ytou did for that time you were there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast